Updating your theme in WordPress is made very simple for you. Just go to Dashboard Updates and select your theme, then click the Update Themes button. But wait! You might think that all you need to do is click the Update button and you’re done, right?
- 1 How do I manually update a WordPress theme?
- 2 Do I need to update my WordPress theme?
- 3 How do I update a WordPress theme without losing content?
- 4 How do I change my WordPress theme without losing customization?
- 5 Can I change my theme?
- 6 How do I edit a WordPress theme without coding?
- 7 How do you update a theme?
- 8 How do I update my version of WordPress?
- 9 How do I update my WordPress theme on a7?
- 10 How do I update my envato theme?
- 11 Why is WordPress theme not displaying correctly?
- 12 How do I manually update my Divi theme?
- 13 How do I update my Impreza theme?
- 14 How to Update WordPress Theme without Losing Customization
- 14.0.1 How Theme Updates Work in WordPress
- 14.0.2 Which Customizations Can You Lose During Theme Update?
- 14.0.3 Creating a Child Theme
- 14.0.4 Downloading Theme Folders to Your Computer
- 14.0.5 Copying Customizations to the Child Theme
- 14.0.6 Uploading the Updated Theme and Child Theme Folders
- 14.0.7 Importing Your Theme Customizer Settings
- 15 How To Update WordPress Themes
- 16 Update WordPress theme
- 17 How to Update a WordPress Theme in 6 Steps or Less
- 18 Updating Your WordPress Theme
- 19 Update A WordPress Theme Automatically
- 20 Update A WordPress Theme Manually
- 21 How To Update A WordPress Theme Via Ftp
- 21.1 Step 1: Create a backup of your theme.
- 21.2 Step 2: Download the updated version of your theme.
- 21.3 Step 3: Re-add the customizations to the updated theme files.
- 21.4 Step 4: Upload the updated theme folder to your site.
- 21.5 Step 5: Activate the updated theme on your site.
- 21.6 Step 6: Test your site.
- 22 Keeping Your WordPress Theme Up-to-Date
- 23 How to Update Your WordPress Theme – SiteGround Tutorials
- 23.1 Firstly, What Is a WordPress Theme?
- 23.2 Why Do You Need to Update Your WordPress Theme?
- 23.3 WordPress Theme Update Checklist
- 23.4 How to Update Your WordPress Theme
- 23.5 1. How to update a WordPress Repository Theme
- 23.6 2. How to Update a ThemeForest WordPresstheme
- 23.7 Check everything has gone to plan!
- 23.8 Delete your old theme file
- 24 How to Update WordPress Theme Without Losing Content?
- 25 Why Update Your WordPress Theme?
- 26 Preparing for Theme Update in WordPress
- 27 How to Update WordPress Theme? (Easy One-click Method)
- 28 How to Update WordPress Theme? (For Developers)
- 29 Wrapping It Up!
- 30 How To Update a WordPress Theme Without Losing Customization – Qode Interactive
- 31 Godaddy – Een WordPress-thema met FTP bijwerken
- 32 Meer informatie
- 33 Godaddy – Een thema in WordPress bijwerken
- 34 Verwante stappen
- 35 Meer informatie
How do I manually update a WordPress theme?
To do that, go to Appearance » Themes from the left sidebar of the WordPress admin panel. On this page, you need to hover the mouse cursor over the theme you want to use and then click on the Activate button to change the WordPress theme.
Do I need to update my WordPress theme?
Upgrading your website’s theme to the latest version is highly recommended, not only because it ensures you have all the latest features, but you’ll also be up-to-date with any security patches. There are many ways to upgrade a WordPress theme.
How do I update a WordPress theme without losing content?
Visit the theme’s site and download the latest version. Further, extract the zip file. Now, you’ve both the old customized version and the new version of the theme on your computer. If you remember the code snippet you added then, copy and paste them into the new version.
How do I change my WordPress theme without losing customization?
Simply navigate to Appearance » Themes and then click the Activate button underneath the child theme. After that, you need to return to Appearance » Customize page and click on the Export/Import panel. You should click on the ‘Choose file’ button to select the file you exported earlier.
Can I change my theme?
Settings. Under Display Options, tap Theme. Select the theme for this device: Light—White background with dark text.
How do I edit a WordPress theme without coding?
Fortunately, there’s a way to do it without coding. WordPress plugin repository offers lots of tools and plugins you can use to customize your theme without coding. Use Plugins
- Beaver Themer for Beaver Builder.
- Divi Builder.
- Ultimate Tweaker.
- Microthemer WordPress CSS Editor.
- Headway Themes.
How do you update a theme?
Just navigate to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Themes, pick the current theme, then simply click the button “Update Now” to attempt the upgrade. That’s done, as easy as it sounds. In addition, when you automatically update a WordPress theme, any previous customization in the theme itself will be lost.
How do I update my version of WordPress?
First, log in to the admin area of your WordPress website and go to Dashboard » Updates page. You will see the notice that a new version of WordPress is available. Now you just need to click on the ‘Update Now’ button to initiate the update.
How do I update my WordPress theme on a7?
Since The7 v. 5, you can update the theme in a usual WP way through Appearance -> Themes (fig. 1).
How do I update my envato theme?
When you make a new purchase you’ll see it in your Envato Market tab (under “themes” or “plugins” respectively). Just click on the blue Install button to install your new theme or plugin (no need to download the item zip file). Just wait a few moments and you should see a confirmation screen like the one above.
Why is WordPress theme not displaying correctly?
The issue may also be that your new theme caused configuration changes leading to display errors. To counter this problem, refresh your links from the permalink settings (in WordPress). The problem may also be your Admin Dashboard plugin. So, try to update or replace and see if that fixes the problem.
How do I manually update my Divi theme?
Update Divi manually with a Zip file
- Step 1: Upload theme file. On your WordPress Dashboard, go to the Appearance → Themes → Add New → Upload Theme → click choose file to upload the theme zip file.
- Step 2: Replace files.
- Step 3: Preview your website.
How do I update my Impreza theme?
Check the latest version in the changelog. Updating via FTP #
- Connect to your hosting via an FTP software.
- Unzip the Impreza.zip file on your computer.
- Upload the extracted Impreza theme folder to wp-content/themes/Impreza overwriting all the files of the previous version.
How to Update WordPress Theme without Losing Customization
When it comes to changing the theme of your WordPress website, are you concerned about losing the adjustments you’ve made? One of the most appealing aspects of WordPress is the ease with which it can be customized. However, there is a significant likelihood that you may lose some of your customizations if you upgrade your theme to the latest version. Throughout this post, we’ll teach you how to quickly and efficiently upgrade a WordPress theme without losing any of your personalization.
How Theme Updates Work in WordPress
WordPress is equipped with a robust mechanism for installing updates, not just for WordPress itself, but also for plugins and themes that are installed alongside it. YourWordPress websitechecks for changes on a regular basis and displays them under theDashboard » Updates page. Additionally, you’ll receive a reminder on theAppearance » Themespage whenever a theme update is made available. Updating your WordPress website is extremely crucial for the security and functionality of your website. These updates can include new features in addition to security and bug fixes, which allows theme authors to expand their offerings.
WordPress will then download the theme package, decompress it, and overwrite the old files with the newest version of the theme files.
If you manually edited your WordPress theme files to include custom code, you will lose any modifications you made to them.
Which Customizations Can You Lose During Theme Update?
It is possible to alter a WordPress theme in several different ways. Your theme adjustments are safe in some cases since your modifications are saved in the WordPress database itself. Customizations You Won’t Lose If You Update Your WordPress Theme You will not lose any changes done with the built-in WordPress theme customizer, which can be accessed by going to Appearance » Customizepage in your WordPress dashboard. The theme customizer allows you to make changes to your WordPress theme and save all of your changes in the database of your WordPress installation.
- WordPress widgets and navigation menus are not impacted by the theme modifications, and neither are your WordPress posts.
- These plugins are utilized to enhance the functionality of your theme.
- If you alter your WordPress layout using aWordPress page builder such asSeedProd,Divi, or Beaver Builder, such customizations will not be affected by this change.
- Among these are your WordPress contact forms, Google Analytics, and email newsletter popups, among other things.
- What you will lose are any modifications you have made directly to the theme’s source code.
- These modifications will be lost if your theme is changed since the files will be replaced when the theme is updated.
These files will be overwritten as well, and you will lose any modifications you have made. Now that we’ve determined which modifications will be lost after a theme update, let’s talk about how to keep them from being lost.
Creating a Child Theme
A WordPress theme that inherits the functionality, features, and aesthetic of another WordPress theme, known as the parent theme, is known as a child theme. This allows you to adjust the child theme without having to make any modifications to the parent theme. It is safe to update the parent theme without fear of losing your modifications since your changes are kept in the child theme where they are secure. As part of this tutorial, we’ll construct a child theme and then transfer all of your adjustments to the child theme you just created.
For further information on how to build a WordPress child theme, see our beginner’s introduction to WordPress child themes.
Don’t activate the child theme until you’re ready.
If you want to utilize the code technique to build a child theme, you should save it in a folder on your computer to avoid confusion.
Downloading Theme Folders to Your Computer
The first step is to establish a connection to your WordPress hosting account through an FTP client. Following your connection, navigate to the /wp-content/themes/folder and save the theme folder to your computer’s hard drive. This folder will serve as a backup for your theme and settings, so keep it safe. This folder contains the adjustments that we will later replicate into the parent theme’s child theme folder. If you used the plugin technique described in the previous section to create a child theme, you should download the child theme’s folder to your computer in the same manner.
The most recent version of your theme should be downloaded to your computer from the theme’s website.
You should now have three theme folders on your computer: one for the new updated version of your theme, one for the previous customized version of your theme, and one for the child theme you just generated.
Copying Customizations to the Child Theme
We must next identify all of the modifications you made to your theme so that we can copy them over to the child theme, which is the next step. The quickest and most straightforward method to accomplish this is to compare your old and new theme files. To examine the differences between the new and old versions of each file, you’ll need to utilize file comparison software to compare them. WinMerge is recommended for Windows users, whereas Kaleidoscope is recommended for Mac users, and Mold is recommended for Linux users.
Any files that have been altered or added will be highlighted by the program.
Because your child theme already has its own functions.php and style.css files, we need to treat them in a different way than we did before.
For starters, open your functions.php file in your comparison program and compare it to both the latest and old versions.
In the next step, you should copy and paste the content into the functions.php file of your child theme. After you have completed this process, make sure to save the file. If the style.css file for your theme has been modified, you will need to repeat the process with the new style sheet file.
Uploading the Updated Theme and Child Theme Folders
After you’ve copied your modifications to the child theme, you’ll be ready to upload the newly updated theme and child theme to your website’s root directory. Access your website with an FTP client and navigate to the/wp-content/themes/folder to complete the process. You should next choose the modified theme folder and child theme folder from your computer and upload them to your website. Your FTP client will notify you when there are already files with the same name in its database. You must choose Overwrite in order to ensure that your old theme files are replaced with the newer versions of those files.
Importing Your Theme Customizer Settings
According to the information provided at the outset of this article, any adjustments performed using the WordPress theme customizer are not kept in your theme, and as a result, they have not yet been included in the child theme. We’ll have to remember to include them immediately. Use a plugin to export theme customizer settings from the parent theme and then import them into the child theme in order to get the desired result. In order to export or import data, you must first install and activate theCustomizer Export/Importplugin on both sites where you wish to export or import data.
- After that, we’ll need to export the customizer settings from the parent theme.
- After that, you must first open the Export/Import panel in order to see its settings, and then you must click on the Export option.
- After that, you should make your child theme active.
- After that, you must return to the Appearance > Customize page and choose the Export/Import panel from the drop-down menu.
- If you want to import header and other image files, you must additionally choose the checkbox next to the option ‘Download and import image files?’ Following that, you should click on the ‘Import’ option to begin the uploading process.
- Upon completion, you may preview your changes in the customizer before clicking on the ‘SavePublish’ button to make them live.
- The parent theme will be updated automatically in the future, so you won’t have to go through these procedures again.
- If you run into any problems, be sure to read our article on the most common WordPress mistakes and how to repair them.
- We encourage you to subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more WordPress video tutorials if you enjoyed this post.
- Please be aware that our material is sponsored by our readers.
See how WPBeginner is supported, why it is important, and how you can help us by donating. The Editorial Staff at WPBeginner is a group of WordPress specialists, lead by Syed Balkhi, who provides guidance and support. Over 1.3 million readers around the world put their trust in us.
How To Update WordPress Themes
It is recommended that you prepare everything thoroughly before updating any WordPress themes in order to avoid any loss of settings or customizations that you have made to your site. Our helpful checklist, which we recommend you go through before performing the theme upgrade, can be found below.
1. Check the Changelog
To begin, open the README.txt file contained inside the current theme package after downloading and unpacking it. This will allow you to see what has changed from the last release. There are several new features, enhancements, bug corrections, and other changes in the new version that you may learn about in this document. If you consider these changes to be unnecessary or inconsequential, you may choose to forego the update altogether.
2. Make a backup
This is the most important preventative measure you’ll ever take. Whenever anything does not go as planned, you always have the option of restoring. In the event that you are not comfortable with manual backups, you may utilize plugins instead; the following is a selection of WordPress backup plugins that you should consider using. — Free plug-ins include: Duplicator+BackWPup+BackWPup is a backup and restoration solution for WordPress that includes UpdraftPlus backup and restoration. BackupBuddy is a premium WordPress plugin that costs money.
3. Test the theme
It is critical to test the theme in advance on a test site on your computer’s local network. Using this method, you can quickly and easily test the most recent version of the theme, track down issues, and ensure that all plugins are functioning properly before adding it to your live site.
4. Read items on Codex
To gain a thorough understanding of theme upgrading in WordPress, refer to this Codex article, which includes information on when to update, what should and should not be done, as well as other useful information. It is updated on a regular basis so that you will never fall behind.
Update WordPress theme
There are two methods of updating: the manual update method and the automated update method.
1. Automatic Update
Automatic updates were made available for all of our themes. You will no longer need to visit DesignWall to obtain the newest version of WordPress since you will receive available updates directly in your WordPress admin page. Follow our instructions here to receive a complete overview of how to obtain a license key in order to start the automatic update. This is the quickest and most convenient method of launching the most recent theme. It’s as simple as navigating to DashboardAppearanceThemes, selecting the current theme, then clicking the “Update Now” button to attempt the upgrade.
Aside from that, when you automatically update a WordPress theme, any customizations you have made to the theme itself will be overwritten.
2. Update manually
To date, you are unable to automatically update our premium themes; instead, you must go into your account and check for and download the most recent version of the theme (if have). Simply navigate to the DesignWallhomepageYour accountDownloads section and choose the theme you wish to upgrade to the most recent version available.
Alternatively, if you purchased the themes from ThemeForest or CreativeMarket, you can just go onto your account and download the most recent version of the theme.
2.2 Upload the new version of the theme through Dashboard
Add a theme by going toDashboardAppearanceThemesAdd NewUploading it. Through the Dashboard, you may upload the latest version of the theme. Following the upload, both the old and new versions of the theme will appear in the theme’s frame at the same time. Simply look at the version number to determine the most recent theme version, and then activate it. Two different versions of the theme will both be available in the themes interface at the same time. Please keep in mind that if you attempt to update a theme with a name that already exists, the update will fail and you will receive the following error message: You are unable to upload two theme folders with similar names into the same theme directory if you receive this error message.
- Log in to your site using FTP and browse to the wp-content/themes/ directory to begin. Locate your old theme folder and rename it accordingly
- You should now upload the newly created theme to your website. Once you’ve finished, navigate toDashboardAppearanceThemes to select the proper version of the theme that you want to use
2.3 Preserve your customization
Do not panic if you have lost track of all the customizations you have made to the theme files; you may still recover them by employing the appropriate tools. The difference between files and folders may be detected and compared using a variety of different tools and techniques (). As a starting point for this instruction, we recommend utilizing WinMerge for Windows and Kaleidoscope for Mac, both of which are free and simple to use. You may also make use of a different tool known as KDiff3. This is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
2.4 Using a child theme
It is recommended that you utilize a WordPress child theme to update your WordPress theme in a secure manner without losing your personalization. You should have a look at this blog () for an outline of the advantages and disadvantages of using a WordPress child theme. Have you finished reading? To learn how to build a WordPress child theme, follow the steps outlined in this detailed instructional video. The information provided above covers all of the essentials you need to know about changing themes in WordPress.
We will be more than pleased to assist you.
How to Update a WordPress Theme in 6 Steps or Less
Using WordPress themes, you can easily construct a WordPress site that is both professional and consistent with your brand identity. They have an influence not only on the look of your site, but also on its speed, performance, search engine optimization, and user experience. The need of keeping your theme up to current should come as no surprise, right? We’ll go through why you should change your theme on a frequent basis in further detail below, and then we’ll show you how.
Updating Your WordPress Theme
You want to make sure that every aspect of your WordPress website is up to date, from the software to the plugins to the theme itself. When it comes to improving the security, functionality, speed, and compatibility of your website, updating your theme is a good place to start. Let’s take a deeper look at each of these factors in more detail below.
During 2019, according to Sucuri, more than 49% of compromised WordPress websites were susceptible at the time of infection. In spite of WordPress’ automated background updates, which were introduced in version 3.7, this suggests that website owners are still falling behind on patching and maintaining core files and expandable components, such as themes. One of the most effective methods to keep your WordPress site safe is to maintain your software, plugins, and themes up to date as soon as new versions are made available.
Without these upgrades, your site becomes exposed to known dangers as well as undiscovered threats, which are continually appearing on the internet.
Apart from having the most recent security patches, theme updates are often known to provide new features and demonstrations. These new features may have been requested by current users, or they may have been introduced as a result of new features of the WordPress content management system. Examples include the release of the Gutenberg editor by WordPress, which resulted in certain theme revisions including a block-based theme builder. It is only via the installation of updates such as these that you will be able to utilize the full potential of your theme.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
The most recent security patches and features, as well as modifications for speed optimization, may be included in theme update packages. Several theme modifications, for example, are aimed at decreasing the overall weight and number of HTTP requests made by a theme in order for it to load more quickly. By installing these updates, you can guarantee that your theme is operating at its peak performance level. This blog article touts the Astra 3.3 theme as “the quickest version yet,” which is based on the best-selling Astra theme’s 3.3 release.
You’ll also want to make sure that your theme is compatible with the most recent version of WordPress. As soon as a new version of the software is released, theme developers should test their themes against the new version, make any necessary changes, and then release an update to the public. You’ll want to make sure that these updates are applied to your site in order to avoid any compatibility issues. Here’s an example of a changelog from SociallyViral, which notes that the updated theme version has resolved compatibility issues with the WordPress 5.6 version of the software.
Update A WordPress Theme Automatically
You may set up auto-updates to prevent the security, performance, and compatibility concerns that might arise from using an out-of-date theme. You won’t even have to bother about monitoring your dashboard to see if any new updates have been made in this manner. Set up automatic updates for your WordPress theme by following the steps outlined below. Please keep in mind that you must be using WordPress 5.5 or a later version of WordPress in order to be eligible for automatic updates.
- Log in to your WordPress administration area. ClickAppearancesThemes. Click on the thumbnail of the theme that is now active on your site
- Allow auto-updates to be enabled in the theme modal by clickingEnable auto-updatesjust below the creator of the theme.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock By default, auto-updates will now be performed twice per day. You may turn off automatic updates at any moment by clicking on the same toggle link. This feature makes it simple for website owners to keep up with the latest developments. But there is an issue with this technique of updating since it will overwrite all of the old theme files that have been put on your website.
This implies that any modifications or tweaks you have made to your theme will be lost. That’s OK if you don’t intend to customize your theme in any way; but, if you do want to do so, you’ll want to prevent theme upgrades in the future.
Update A WordPress Theme Manually
If you have just installed and activated the theme on your website without making any modifications, then upgrading it is simple and straightforward. There are two possibilities available to you.
- Log in to your WordPress administration area. It is expected that an alert bubble will be presented in your WordPress Administration Menu when a new version of a theme is ready. ClickDashboardUpdates
In your WordPress dashboard, click on Updates to start the theme upgrade process. ” src=” name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent ” src=” name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent ” src=” Percentages are calculated step by step. 20Guide-3.png” title=”” width=”650″ srcset=” 20Guide-3.png” title=”” width=”650″ srcset=” how percent 20to percent 20update percent 20a percent name=How percent 20to percent 20update percent 20a percent WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
20Guide-3.png 650w,name=How much is 20 percent to 20 percent Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20Update percent 20a percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
20Guide-3.png 1950w” sizes=”(max-width: 650px) 100vw, 650px”> 20Guide-3.png 1950w” sizes=”(max-width: 650px) 100vw, 650px”> Updates will display any theme updates that are currently available” src=” name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20src=” name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20src=” name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20src=” name=How Percentages are calculated step by step.
20Guide-1.jpg” title=”” width=”650″ srcset=” 20Guide-1.jpg” title=”” width=”650″ srcset=” how percent 20to percent 20update percent 20a percent name=How percent 20to percent 20update percent 20a percent WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How percent 20to percent 20to percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 650w,name=How Update percent 20a percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20Update percent 20a percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
The 20Guide-1.jpg 975w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Update percent 20a percent 20Guide-1.jpeg 975w,name=How percent 20to percent 20Update WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent 20WordPress percent 20Theme percent 20A percent Percentages are calculated step by step.
20Guide-1.jpeg 1950w” sizes=”(max-width: 650px) 100vw, 650px”> 20Guide-1.jpeg 1950w” sizes=”(max-width: 650px) 100vw, 650px”
- The following message will appear if all of your themes are now at their most recent versions: “All of your themes are up to date
- ” It is necessary to pick the theme you want to update and click theUpdate Themesbutton if any active or inactive themes are not at the most recent version of the theme.
In your WordPress dashboard, you have another option for manually upgrading your WordPress theme: Theme updates. Let’s take a quick look at how it works down below.
- When you click AppearanceThemes, a popup notification will show above your active theme, stating something along the lines of “New version available.” “It’s time to update.” To update your software, click the hyperlinked phrase “Update now.”
WordPress will automatically download and unpack the theme package, and it will replace the old theme files with the new theme files after they have been downloaded. Because this procedure will replace all of the old theme files that were previously placed on your website, any adjustments or customizations you made will be lost. You may avoid this loss by updating your themeFTP client, which is already installed on your PC. Let’s have a look at the steps in detail below.
How To Update A WordPress Theme Via Ftp
- Make a copy of your theme for safekeeping. Install the most recent version of your theme
- And Customizations should be included back into the revised theme files. Upload the modified theme folder to your website’s root directory. Activate the latest version of the theme on your website
- Check out your website
A secure connection is established between your computer and your WordPress hosting account through the use of FTP, which is an abbreviation for File Transfer Protocol. The steps outlined here will guide you through the process of changing your WordPress theme using the FTP software FileZilla, which is recommended by WordPress. Please keep in mind that you may also change your WordPress theme using the file manager supplied by your web host’s administration panel. cPanel is the most widely used file manager on the internet.
Enter the cPanel of your hosting account and select File Manager from the menu bar.
Step 1: Create a backup of your theme.
- FileZilla should be used to log into your site. To access the public htmlfolder, navigate to its location on the left side of the screen. Open yourwp-contentfolder and yourthemesfolder, respectively.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
- Locate the folder that bears the name of your currently active theme
- Rename the file by appending the suffix “_old” to the end of the file name
- Download the folder to your computer to use as a backup copy of it.
Step 2: Download the updated version of your theme.
- Visit the theme’s website or landing page in the WordPress directory to learn more about it. Download the most recent version of the software on your PC. Consider the following scenario: you’re downloading the free version of Astra.
- Locate and extract the theme’s zip file from your computer.
On your computer, you’ll now have both the old and new versions of the theme installed.
Step 3: Re-add the customizations to the updated theme files.
The process of re-adding customizations to a new version of your theme is straightforward if you recall what you did with the prior version of your theme. Simply copy the code snippets from the old theme files and paste them into the new theme files to make the changes. If you don’t have access to the source code — which is far more frequent — you may use a file comparison tool to locate the custom code snippets. WinMergeis a fantastic choice for Windows, while KDiff3is a fantastic alternative for Mac.
It will display these files side-by-side so that you can readily identify the custom code snippets that you added to the previous theme folder throughout the migration process.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock Afterwards, you may copy and paste the relevant bits from the old theme file into the corresponding file in the new theme folder.
It is now need to upload it to your website.
Step 4: Upload the updated theme folder to your site.
As a result of the first step, you should still be signed in to your site using FileZilla. If this is the case, please log in again.
- To access the public htmlfolder, navigate to its location on the left side of the screen. Open yourwp-contentfolder and yourthemesfolder, respectively. Upload your new theme directory to your computer.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Step 5: Activate the updated theme on your site.
- Source of the image
Step 6: Test your site.
Going forward, now that you have successfully updated your WordPress theme, you should visit your website to ensure that everything is functioning as planned. You may need to go back to your backup of the old theme files and double-check that everything has been moved over to your new theme files if anything isn’t working as intended or if something is missing. If this method appears to be extremely difficult, it may be preferable to create a child theme. Child themes are sub-themes that inherit the appearance and feel as well as the functionality of their parent themes (also known as parent themes).
You will be able to update the parent theme without losing any of your adjustments as a result of this. Check out How to Create a WordPress Child Theme: A Step-by-Step Guide for a more in-depth look at this option.
Keeping Your WordPress Theme Up-to-Date
You put in the effort to maintain your content, photos, and software up to date – why wouldn’t you put the same effort into keeping your theme up to current? It is important to update your theme on a regular basis to ensure that your WordPress website is secure, compatible, and functioning so that you can deliver the greatest experience possible to your users. Originally published on May 18, 2021 at 7:00 a.m., and updated on May 18, 2021 at 7:00 a.m.
How to Update Your WordPress Theme – SiteGround Tutorials
Whether you’re just getting started with WordPress or have had your site up and running for years, keeping your theme up to date is essential. Continue reading to understand the whats, whys, and hows of WordPress themes—what a WordPress theme is, why it has to be changed, and then how to do it yourself by following our instructions. This video was created with the assistance of ThemeForest, which is one of the major WordPress theme marketplaces.
Firstly, What Is a WordPress Theme?
Simply said, it alters the visual appearance of your website. It is the first thing that people see when they arrive on your site and might include the layout, colors, and overall look and feel of your site, among other things.
Why Do You Need to Update Your WordPress Theme?
A staggering one-second delay in page loading results in a reduction in page visits and customer satisfaction. WordPress theme updates can help you improve site performance while also ensuring that you don’t fall behind the competition. If any security flaws or defects are uncovered, patches will be developed to address the issues at hand. Keeping your WordPress theme up to date will aid in the security of your website and blog. Should vulnerabilities or flaws be uncovered, fixes will be developed to address these concerns.
WordPress Theme Update Checklist
Now that you understand what is going on and why it is happening, you may go on to the next level. Check off the items on this checklist to ensure you are prepared before we get into the how- to’s. WordPress does not presently have a policy in place to send out an email notification every time a theme update is made available. To guarantee that nothing is overlooked, go to your dashboard and check it on a frequent basis for any update alerts. In this section, developers can give information on all of the changes that have been made since the most recent release.
Before beginning the process of updating your theme, keep in mind that backing up your website is essential in the event that a mistake arises during the process.
It is advisable to test the new theme version on a staging copy of your site before upgrading your live site, even though creating a backup before the update can save you if the live update damages something.
Customers who have GrowBig or GoGeek accounts with SiteGround may take advantage of the free WordPress staging tool that is included with their hosting plans.
Even while it might be tempting to start the procedure right once when an update is available, we recommend that you attempt to wait roughly a week before proceeding with the installation. If any faults have been made by the developers, you’ll allow for some time for them to be discovered and corrected before moving on. Have you finished it? Congratulations, you have completed the first step and are ready to go on to the next.
How to Update Your WordPress Theme
After getting everything ready, it’s time to go over the how-tos one more time. We’ll go through how to update a theme that’s been downloaded from the WordPress repository, as well as how to do it if the theme was purchased from ThemeForest.
1. How to update a WordPress Repository Theme
This tool is quite simple to use, and it allows you to change your theme without ever having to leave the WordPress interface. Choose one of the two choices below to get your theme up to date this way: Navigate to Dashboard Updates. Keep an eye out for your theme—if it’s included in the list, you’ll be able to alter it from this page.
- Alternatively, check for AppearanceThemes. It will be obvious whether there is an update available for your theme if a notification about it is located just beneath it.
2. How to Update a ThemeForest WordPresstheme
Because ThemeForest is the world’s largest marketplace for WordPress themes, it’s likely that you choose that site rather than the repository to find your theme. After all, it is the place to go if you want variety. Following the procedures to manually update your theme is slightly different from the process for updating your theme with ThemeForestis; continue reading to learn how to do so.
Log in to the developer’s site or marketplace
Then you’ll be able to continue the instructions and get a copy of the files that were created for you.
Remove or rename the previous version
Choose one of the following methods to do this:
- Make use of an FTP client or a file manager to delete the appropriate files from thewp-content/themes/folder Change the names of the files in the themes folder. By making a backup of your old files, you may be certain that if something goes wrong along the route, you will still be able to access the previous version of your theme
- You can choose a plugin that will be of assistance to you. You can select one or more choices from the list below
Upload your updated theme file
We have two alternatives for you to choose from in order to do this:
- Navigate to AppearanceThemesAdd New from within WordPress. It’s also possible that you’re already logged into the control panel. You may just click on the upload button from there.
Check everything has gone to plan!
You should have received an email indicating that your theme update has been successfully submitted. Log in and double-check that you’re seeing all you expect to be seeing before continuing.
Delete your old theme file
If everything went well with step 4, you may proceed to erase the old version of the theme from your computer.
How to Update WordPress Theme Without Losing Content?
Do you want to know how to upgrade your WordPress theme in a secure manner without losing your content or customization? Don’t worry, after reading this post, you’ll be able to upgrade your WordPress theme without losing any of your settings or the date on your website. WordPress themes are responsible for the appearance of your website’s front end. The layout of your website is the first thing that visitors notice. Furthermore, everything of your material is displayed in accordance with chosen theme.
It is equally crucial to keep your WordPress theme up to date.
We’ve included a few of them below for your convenience.
Why Update Your WordPress Theme?
Keeping your WordPress themes up to date is an extremely vital component of maintaining a WordPress website. Are you curious as to why? Take a look at the points listed below:
- Security: The first advantage of changing your theme is that your site becomes more secure as a result. Because out-of-date themes are open to security threats, you run the risk of losing all of your vital data. As a result, be sure to always use the most recent version of your WordPress themes. Additionally, did you know your theme’s creators are always adding new features to the theme to make it more rich and simpler to use for you? Did you know this is true? These new features are simple to use and navigate. All you have to do is update the theme and you’ll be able to take use of these capabilities
- WordPress is free and open-source software, therefore it is compatible with most operating systems. It is always being updated. Some themes you install may not be compatible with the most recent version of WordPress, and this is something you should be aware of. As a result, maintain your theme up to date in order to keep your WordPress website running properly.
Now that we’ve established the significance of keeping WordPress themes up to date, let’s have a look at the actual process of upgrading themes.
Preparing for Theme Update in WordPress
Always make sure that you have the most recent backup of your website before beginning any project. In the event that something goes wrong with your website, you may quickly restore it using the backup you created. In addition, your website will be up and operating in no time at all. Here’s a beginner’s instruction on how to back up a WordPress website in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
How to Update WordPress Theme? (Easy One-click Method)
WordPress is the most well-known and adaptable Content Management System on the market (CMS). Today, it provides electricity to 41 percent of the website. Many people adore it because of its collection of one-of-a-kind and fantastic features, which include hundreds of professionally developed themes and plugins, among other things. The best part is that it makes it extremely simple to update themes and plugins on your site.
Update All Themes At Once
The first and most important step in updating all of your installed themes at the same time is to go into your WordPress administration dashboard. Then, using the options on the left sidebar, select Updates from the drop-down list. Following that, it directs you to a website where you can check to see whether any of the themes you’ve installed have been updated. Additionally, you may update any plugins that you’ve installed, as well as WordPress itself, using this interface. Proceed to the next step by selecting the theme you wish to change or by selecting all of the themes at once by clicking on theSelect Allbutton.
Update Themes Individually
Another fantastic feature that WordPress provides is the ability to update themes on an individual basis. To do so, select AppearanceThemes from the sidebar navigation menu. You can see all of the themes that you’ve installed on the following page. If there is a new update available, the message ‘New version available’ will appear. The statement ‘Update now’ appears at the top of the theme. It’s as simple as clicking on theUpdate nowbutton, and your theme will be updated instantly. In addition, if you want to view more information about the upgrades, such as what new features have been introduced or what version of the theme was used before the update, you may do so.
On the next page, you will find out which version of the theme has been released, as well as a description of the theme.
Enable Auto-Updates for Your WordPress Theme
Aside from that, WordPress themes also have the option to enable automatic update functionality. As illustrated in the above image, the Enable auto-updates option can be found on the theme information page of the theme. Once enabled, you will be able to see when the next update is planned to take place. Your theme will be automatically updated at the time that you have specified. According on the subject, this time may differ from the planned time. You may also turn off this feature at a later time.
It only takes a few clicks to finish the entire procedure.
As a result, if you want to make adjustments, it is recommended to utilize child themes. Let’s have a look at how to establish a child theme and update it in a secure manner.
How to Update WordPress Theme? (For Developers)
It is possible to add custom codes to your WordPress theme files if you are well-versed in WordPress and have a strong understanding of coding. Including code snippets in your theme helps elevate it to a higher degree of sophistication. It’s possible that you’ve personalized your theme by adding codes to your theme’s function.php file; however, changing your theme will overwrite all of your customisation. There’s no need to be concerned; we’ve included three strategies for changing WordPress themes without losing content below.
Method 2: Update WordPress Theme With Child Theme
The creation of a child theme is the second most secure technique of updating a WordPress theme. In WordPress, a child theme is a theme that inherits all of the features, functions, and styling of its parent theme (or parent themes). The following is a step-by-step explanation on how to build a child theme for your website.
- Access your cPanel by logging in and clicking on the File Manager folder under the Files section
- Afterwards, browse to the public html/wp-content/themes directory. Creating a new folder and naming it your theme name -child in the themes folder is the first step. Create the files style.css and functions.php in the child theme folder
- Then save the theme.
The following step entails creating custom code for those files. In this tutorial, you will learn how to create WordPress child themes and where to locate the essential scripts. To activate the child theme you generated, go into your WordPress dashboard and browse to AppearanceThemes, where you will find the theme you just built. It is possible to make as many adjustments and updates to your theme after it has been created without affecting the parent theme once you have created the child theme.
Method 3: Update WordPress Theme Manually Without Losing Customization
Manually updating the WordPress theme without losing your customizations is one of the methods for keeping your theme up to date. Before you may manually update your website, you must first connect to your hosting account using an FTP client. Once you’ve connected, you’ll see that the screen has been divided in half. The local side is on the left-hand side of the screen. The left side is client-side, and the right side is server-side. Navigate to the public html/wp-content/themes directory on the server side.
- Right-click on the theme you wish to change and select “Update theme.” To download it, click on theDownload button and save it to your PC.
- Go to the theme’s website and download the most recent version of the theme.
- You now have both the previous customized version of the theme as well as the new version of the theme installed on your computer.
- You will need to compare the theme files to discover the code snippets if, for some reason, you cannot recall them.
- To compare the theme files, open them both in the file comparison program.
- The codes should be copied and pasted into the same file as they were in the previous edition.
- Set up a connection to your website using an FTP client.
- Simply drag and drop the latest version of the theme from the local to the server-side to complete the transfer.
- To overwrite an existing file, select it and then press theOkbutton.
It can take a few minutes for the theme folder to be uploaded. The final step is for your old theme files to be replaced with new theme files. Congratulations! You’ve successfully upgraded the WordPress theme without losing any of the material that was previously there.
Method 4: Create a Staging Site to Update WordPress Theme
You may use a staging site to experiment with different modifications, themes, and plugins on your live website. For your production website, the staging site serves as a sandbox for testing. You have the ability to add new themes and plugins, update them on the staging site, and tweak them to your specifications. The good news is that if something goes wrong, it will have no effect on your live site at any time. As soon as you’re pleased with the updates and revisions, you may seamlessly transition the staging site into the live site.
WP Staging is a staging plugin that is available for free.
Installing the plugin is a simple process that can be done from your WordPress dashboard.
- To begin, go to your WordPress dashboard and sign into your account. Afterwards, pick thePluginsmenu from the left-hand sidebar. Then, in the search field, type in “WP Staging” to find the plugin. Afterwards, install and activate the plugin. Once the plugin has been active, navigate to the WP Staging option in the sidebar. And then click on the option that says “Create New Staging Site.” Then, enter the name of your preferred staging site in the appropriate field and click on theStart Cloning option. That’s all there is to it
- The staging area is complete. You may now experiment with, change, and update themes and plugins as much as you like
- It’s all up to you.
Wrapping It Up!
And that concludes our discussion on how to update WordPress themes. Choose the first method to update your WordPress theme if you’re a beginner and non-technical person.However, if you’ve added custom codes and don’t want to lose them, update it manually, create a child theme, or use a staging site.Furthermore, if you’re looking for some great themes that provide a one-click update, here are some suggestions – Zakra, ColorMag, Spacious, eStore, and so on. If you’ Apart from that, these themes also have child themes, and they are extremely compatible with all major plugins, including WP Staging.
We hope you found this article to be informative and entertaining.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news and updates.
As a result, if you make a purchase after clicking on the link, we will receive a commission.
How To Update a WordPress Theme Without Losing Customization – Qode Interactive
You should brush up on your knowledge of FTP if you aren’t already familiar with it since we will be covering how to manually update the theme using FTP in this tutorial. In addition, you will need to backup all of the code adjustments you made to your theme files and move them to a more safe location. Otherwise, the theme’s template files will be overwritten when the theme is updated, and any customizations you have made to them will be wiped out with them. If, on the other hand, you haven’t made any custom code updates to your theme’s files, you may simply continue forward to the upgrading procedure.
- We’ll walk you through the process in just a few simple steps within cPanel.
- For starters, log into your cPanel account using your cPanel credentials and then select the File Manager option from the Files area towards the top of your screen, which will open a new window.
- Then browse to the wp-content/themes directory and locate the folder containing your current theme.
- The Compress option may be found by right-clicking on the folder and selecting it from the dropdown menu that displays.
- The folder will be compressed shortly after that, and you will be able to view the results of the compression.
- Finally, to download the zipped folder, locate it within the wp-content/themes directory and double-click on it.
- Simply right-click on it and choose the Download option from the drop-down menu that displays.
Locate it on your computer and extract it to a location of your choosing.
In this post, we will discuss how to transfer modifications from a parent theme to a child theme.
Our post on how to create child themes also includes information on how to customize them, which is the next stage in our procedure.
Custom functions should be included in the functions.php file of the child theme if the alterations consist of snippets of PHP code, such as a custom function.
The opposite is true if your adjustments included the editing of multipletemplate files or the production of new ones.
In other words, you should re-create the files as well as the folder structure in which they were originally stored.
However, if you made several modifications, it is possible that you will not recall all of the alterations you made to the theme.
Using file comparison tools, such as WinMerge, Kaleidoscope, or Meld, will assist you in swiftly going through the files.
Following that, you should test your website to ensure that the adjustments you’ve migrated to the child theme folder are still functioning properly.
Don’t forget to enable the child theme during the testing process, and clear any browser or plugin caches to ensure you’re viewing the most up-to-date information possible.
Godaddy – Een WordPress-thema met FTP bijwerken
Via FTP, you may update a WordPress theme to the most recent version of the software. This is required for some premium and custom-made themes that cannot be modified within the WordPress framework. You will need to download the files for your chosen theme to your local computer before you can proceed with the process of installation.
- Make a connection with your hosting provider via FTP
- Take the /wp-content/themes map for your WordPress website and click on it. Please upload your thema to this map. If your theme is included within a zip-archive, you will need to extract it from there first. Hosting/cPanel / Plesk (Webhosting/cPanel) In the event that you do not have access to a local computer and hence are unable to unzip the zip file into your hosting account, you can unzip the file on a local computer and then upload the unzipped map or files. If you have a pre-made slytesheet for your thema (which is also well known as an onderliggend thema), you may follow the process in the same way.
- Installing or activating a theme in WordPress is a good place to start. Alternatively, you can visit our WP Premium-ondersteuning Catalogue for more information on premium WordPress support.
Godaddy – Een thema in WordPress bijwerken
Update your theme to the most recent version in order to ensure compatibility with the most recent WordPress versions and to make your site more secure overall. Making a backup of your website is always a good idea before implementing an update on it.
- Sign up for a WordPress account
- SelectDashboardUpdates from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen. Make your way over to the Thema’s section. Create a selectievakje for the topic on which you wish to work and select the topics on which you wish to work
Consider using FTP to edit a premium or customized theme that isn’t responding to changes made through the WordPress dashboard.
- In your WordPress dashboard, a plug-in is actively working
- WordPress is currently being worked on in the dashboard
- Installing a theme from the WordPress theme library is simple. My WordPress theme has been tweaked
- For those who don’t want to be bothered with theme changes, we also offer a premium WordPress support service that you can use to set things up for yourself.