How to Sell WordPress Themes
- Step 1: Choose a Niche and Design Your Theme.
- Step 2: Develop Your Theme Using Responsive Design Principles.
- Step 3: Follow the WordPress Coding Best Practices.
- Step 4: Include Appropriate Theme Templates.
- Step 5: Create a User-Friendly Theme Options Page.
- Step 6: Create Clear Theme Documentation.
- 1 Is selling WordPress themes profitable?
- 2 How much money can you make selling WordPress themes?
- 3 Is it legal to sell WordPress themes?
- 4 How do WordPress themes make money?
- 5 Is selling WordPress themes profitable 2020?
- 6 Can I sell a WordPress website?
- 7 Can you make money selling website themes?
- 8 Where can I sell my templates?
- 9 Can you monetize with WordPress?
- 10 How do I make $1 million selling WordPress themes?
- 11 Where can I sell my WordPress website?
- 12 How do I create a WordPress theme and sell it?
- 13 How do I sell WordPress plugins?
- 14 How does WordPress make money in 48 hours?
- 15 Can I monetize my free WordPress blog?
- 16 11 Best Place to Sell WordPress Themes in 2021
- 17 Advantages of Selling on a Marketplace
- 18 Disadvantages of Selling on a Marketplace
- 19 What Makes a WordPress Theme Successful?
- 20 ThemeForest
- 21 Template Monster
- 22 Mojo Marketplace
- 23 Themesnap
- 24 Codester
- 25 WordPress Repository
- 26 Creative Market
- 27 Etsy
- 28 GrayGrids
- 29 WrapBootstrap
- 30 Where do you sell your WordPress themes?
- 31 Wrapping Up!
- 32 8 Best Marketplaces to Sell WordPress Themes & Plugins
- 33 The best WordPress marketplaces
- 34 1. Themeforest
- 35 2. CodeCanyon
- 36 3. TemplateMonster Marketplace
- 37 4. Mojo Marketplace
- 38 5. ThemeSnap
- 39 6. Creative Market
- 40 7. Codester
- 41 8. WordPress.org
- 42 Which marketplace should you use?
- 43 Which marketplace will you use?
- 44 Commercial Developers: How to Sell Your First 100 WordPress Themes and Plugins
- 45 1. Freemium Business Model
- 46 2. Sell on the Big Marketplaces
- 47 3. Start an Affiliate Program
- 48 4. Reach Out to WordPress Blogs and Bloggers
- 49 Final Thoughts
- 50 5 Years of Selling on ThemeForest – Pros and Cons
- 51 ThemeForest + WordPress
- 52 Pros of Selling on ThemeForest
- 53 Cons of Selling on ThemeForest
- 54 Summary
- 55 How to Start Selling WordPress Themes
- 56 Sell Your Themes with Envato
- 57 Open Your Personal Theme Store
- 58 Promote Your Themes Using Ad Networks
- 59 BuySellAds
- 60 Carbon Ads
- 61 Google AdWords
- 62 Sponsored Reviews
Is selling WordPress themes profitable?
Selling premium WordPress themes has been a highly lucrative business for years. If you manage to develop beautiful, stable and reliable products, while making sure that providing great customer support won’t be a burden, these businesses can scale very well.
How much money can you make selling WordPress themes?
According to Nanda, there have been numerous development teams making money selling WordPress themes that “make close to $500K/year with around $200-$250K” in HR and technology costs.
Is it legal to sell WordPress themes?
Yes. Totally legal. Assuming you adhere to the terms of the marketplace where you sell it (in this case, Envato/Themeforest), you can absolutely sell it.
How do WordPress themes make money?
How To Make Money With WordPress in 2020?
- Affiliate Marketing. Affiliate Marketing is one of the most popular and easiest ways to monetize your website.
- Get Paid To Write Reviews.
- Flipping Website.
- Offer Marketing Services.
- Become a Plugin Developer.
- Sell WordPress Themes.
- Create An Auction Website.
- Create a Dropshipping Store.
Is selling WordPress themes profitable 2020?
Selling premium WordPress themes has been a highly lucrative business for years. If you manage to develop beautiful, stable and reliable products, while making sure that providing great customer support won’t be a burden, these businesses can scale very well.
Can I sell a WordPress website?
Absolutely! Many WordPress developers and theme marketplaces have affiliate programs. These programs allow you to sell their WordPress theme templates on your own website in exchange for a commission.
Can you make money selling website themes?
The “web design template” industry hasn’t even been around for a decade yet, but hundreds (if not thousands) of other web designers are making anywhere from $500 to $30,000 a month by selling their designs online.
Where can I sell my templates?
10 Places to Sell Templates
- Theme Forest. ThemeForest offers the opportunity to sell HTML templates, WordPress themes, Joomla templates, Flash templates and Photoshop templates.
Can you monetize with WordPress?
Often the simplest way to monetize WordPress is through display advertisements. Far and away the most popular ad network for WordPress is Google AdSense. AdSense is free, easy to use, and supports the widest pool of targeted ads of any network.
How do I make $1 million selling WordPress themes?
How I Made $1million Selling WordPress Themes is not a WordPress-for-dummies book. It’s a guide for every aspiring entrepreneur and passionate web developer who is determined to create their own success story and build a million-dollar business. A must-read for both beginners and experienced web designers.
Where can I sell my WordPress website?
Here are 8 places to sell your WordPress themes and plugins right now.
- Themeforest. Themeforest is the biggest WordPress theme marketplace on the web.
- CodeCanyon. CodeCanyon is another popular marketplace by Envato.
- TemplateMonster Marketplace.
- Mojo Marketplace.
- Creative Market.
How do I create a WordPress theme and sell it?
How to Sell WordPress Themes
- Step 1: Choose a Niche and Design Your Theme.
- Step 2: Develop Your Theme Using Responsive Design Principles.
- Step 3: Follow the WordPress Coding Best Practices.
- Step 4: Include Appropriate Theme Templates.
- Step 5: Create a User-Friendly Theme Options Page.
- Step 6: Create Clear Theme Documentation.
How do I sell WordPress plugins?
3 Ways You Can Sell Your WordPress Plugin
- Through a Marketplace. A WordPress plugin marketplace makes a lot of sense for a potential seller.
- Using a More Feature-Rich Marketplace. You may not have the time or the inclination to handle every aspect of selling your WordPress plugin.
- Through Your Website.
How does WordPress make money in 48 hours?
How to Make Money with WordPress in 48 Hours
- Some caveats to consider before taking on the challenge.
- Create your blog site.
- Create a brand.
- Sign up for an email marketing service.
- Monetize your blog. Affiliate marketing. Display advertising. Sell digital products.
- Create and promote your blog content.
Can I monetize my free WordPress blog?
WordPress has just announced a partnership with Federated Media to allow bloggers to monetize their free, hosted blogs on WordPress.com with ads. While Google AdSense is an advertising option open to everyone, more lucrative ad networks like Federated are only open to websites with a certain amount of traffic.
11 Best Place to Sell WordPress Themes in 2021
Are you interested in selling WordPress themes? WordPress themes are becoming increasingly popular as the popularity of the platform develops. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that a rising number of web developers are turning to WordPress developers in order to take advantage of this lucrative market opportunity. Should I sell my WordPress theme on a marketplace? If you’re one of those people who has just finished building your first WordPress theme, you’re undoubtedly wondering: “Should I sell my WordPress theme on a marketplace?” It makes no difference whether you are a first-time designer or a seasoned professional.
Advantages of Selling on a Marketplace
There are several advantages to selling your products on a theme marketplace, including the following:
- It’s a time-saving option that’s simple to use once you get started. Not a single item needs to be built from the ground up. There are just a few steps between registering an account and making your first transaction and payment, all of which are handled by the marketplace
- Creating an account Markets have already established trust and drawn a huge number of visitors – markets have already established trust and attracted a significant number of people. As a consequence, you can get your theme in front of potential purchasers with very little effort.
Disadvantages of Selling on a Marketplace
Unfortunately, there are certain disadvantages to using online marketplaces. The following are some of the most often mentioned:
- These days’ most popular markets are crowded platforms, making it difficult to distinguish oneself. As a result of special restrictions and conditions of usage, you may be unable to access certain vitally important information. It may be tough for you to leave and appreciate the genuine health of your company if you do not have this information
- Your target audience is growing at the same rate as you. The transition to your own eCommerce website may be challenging since you will not have any brand awareness to rely on when selling. Customers will most likely remember the marketplace, rather than your brand, if they purchase your theme from there
- This is because they purchased your theme from there.
What Makes a WordPress Theme Successful?
Over the past several years, the premium WordPress product business has risen in size and power. Top developers may now generate six-figure or even seven-figure incomes per year from the sale of premium WordPress themes and plugins to customers. Because of this, an unprecedented number of new products have entered the market, as well as a crop of new developers competing for a piece of the action. Unfortunately, many of them have been let down by sales that have fallen well short of their expectations, which is unfortunate.
As a result, we created this list to provide you a better understanding of the characteristics that distinguish a successful theme in the marketplace.
- Decide how you want to be remembered and what you want to achieve, then define and prioritize your objectives and decide how you are going to attain them. You should be patient when working in a group. Experiment with different approaches and collect feedback. Find the optimal combination of ingredients to achieve the best outcomes. The success of your theme is predicated on a sound business plan. Putting your time and attention into marketing and promoting your subject is an excellent start
- But, there is still more work to be done. In recent years, the theme and plugin industries have become increasingly competitive, and the only way to win is to provide some innovative ideas or solutions to your customers. Not everything needs to be fully original
- It might be something that has already been done but in a more user-friendly or better-designed manner
- Provide a demo site, with a separate demo page for each of the features that your plugin or theme will offer, and link them all together
- Prepare overviews in video and written format, and don’t be afraid to repeat part of the information. You should always offer something out for free to your potential customers, regardless of if the theme you’re intending on selling is a high-priced one. Allowing people to try out your goods is a terrific way to sell your product to them. In order to be successful in the market, you must gain the confidence and credibility of others. The free version has been proven to be an effective technique of increasing awareness about the issue. How to convince your audience to upgrade to a newer version with additional features is explained in detail here (if you have a premium version as well). Regardless of whether the theme is free or paid, you may still contribute something without asking for money. Existing and potential customers should be educated on every part of your plugin or theme, including each checkbox and button, what they do, how to use them, and so on. This will save both you and the users a great deal of time in the future. Make a marketing strategy for your product. You may simply hire pros to handle your marketing, which will save you both time and work. While some of this input is purely emotional, there is a significant amount of it that should not be ignored or ignored. Using this strategy, it is possible to determine what needs to be improved, what features should be included, which portions of the interface may be confusing, and so on. Establish a regular update and enhancement schedule for your product. The most popular themes are those that have been created over time and are regularly updated with new features and are compatible with the most recent WordPress version
- Nevertheless, the most popular themes are not always the most expensive themes.
You should now be aware of the factors that contribute to the success of a theme. We may now proceed to look over the list of markets that are the most effective for selling your theme design work.
Powered by Envato, ThemeForest is an online marketplace that enables you to buy and sell HTML templates and themes for major content management systems such as WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. Among the goods accessible are static templates and themes for a variety of content management systems. The rest of the article may be found below. In addition to the complexity, quality, and intended use of the file, the price of an item is decided by the Buyer Fee and the total price. Their website ranks in the top 1,000 most visited websites in the world, according to Alexa, with millions of visitors per month.
Because of its reputation for high-quality themes and templates, ThemeForest has gained widespread attention. As part of the review process, ThemeForest adheres to extremely stringent quality standards in order to ensure that only the highest-quality themes are offered for sale on the site.
- In the event that you’re launching a web design firm, Envato provides you with security and trust in your promising future
- The amount of visitors that visit Themeforest’s website each month is significant
- In terms of setting prices for your goods, you have total discretion.
- Because Envato’s requirements are quite stringent, and they occasionally change too suddenly, you are likely to receive a number of rejections. Putting in extra marketing work to get your themes seen on Envato will be necessary if you want to compete on the marketplace.
Pay a visit to ThemeForest.
Unique and innovative things may be found on TemplateMonster’s digital marketplace for one-of-a-kind items. A reputable theme and template marketplace, Template Monster has established itself as a location where external designers and contributors may submit a varied range of work to be included on the site. It is the primary goal of this marketplace to create the best possible circumstances for digital product makers while also encouraging them to continue to publish more of their wonderful works.
- Exclusive writers receive a 50 percent advance, up to 70 percent if they sell more over $100,000 in total sales. The complete 70% discount is available to new authors for the first three months of their platform’s use, which is a terrific incentive for starting started with their platform. As a result of its over 6 million potential consumers, theTemplateMonstermarketplace is a wonderful resource for both rookie and professional website designers.
Go to Template Monster for more information.
It is important to note that Mojo Marketplace is a subsidiary of the Endurance International Group. They incorporated this marketplace and its items into the most powerful hosting platforms made accessible by Endurance International. There are a plethora of WordPress plugins to be available on the MOJO Marketplace. As a matter of fact, well-known vendors such as WooThemes can be located there, and it looks to be an excellent place to seek for WooCommerce modules and extensions. In addition to paid plugins, the MOJO Marketplace offers a number of free plugins.
- Mojo Marketplace receives a great deal of visitors as well. For merchants, they provide a large number of helpful instructions and articles.
- In the case of your goods, you have no control over the price that is set.
Pay a visit to Mojo Marketplace.
There are thousands of Drupal and WordPress themes available for purchase on ThemeSnap, as well as a wide range of other digital materials produced and maintained by writers from all over the world. A number of premium Drupal themes from ThemeSnap, such as PinBoard and FlatClassifieds, make it simple for clients to set up and begin utilizing a highly advanced Drupal solution for their company’s needs. The rest of the article may be found below.
- Exclusive authors will earn a defined rate of 55-75 percent of total sales, which is higher than that of non-exclusive authors
- They will be approved immediately
- And they will be paid immediately. In addition to single theme purchases, an author can provide a monthly membership for all of his themes
- However, this is not required. Each calendar month’s payments are processed at the end of the month and distributed via PayPal or Payoneer on the 15th day of the following month.
- This marketplace is less well-known since fewer individuals are aware of its presence.
Pay a visit to Themesnap
It is a Dutch-based creative digital marketplace that was created to address the demands of aspiring developers, designers and programmers as well as those who are just curious in what is going on in the industry. It’s an online marketplace where users can buy and sell web development resources of any kind, including software. After launching on May 10, 2014, the website quickly rose to prominence as one of the most well-known online marketplaces. There is little question that it has a solid foundation and will continue to develop over time, as seen by the large number of new users that sign up on a daily basis.
- Exclusive writers will earn a flat 70% of all sales, whilst non-exclusive authors would receive a 50 percent flat of total sales. Each calendar month’s payments are processed at the end of the month and distributed via PayPal or Payoneer on the 15th day of the following month.
Pay a visit to Codester.
You may post and sell your WordPress themes and plugins on the WordPress Repository, which is a website dedicated to this purpose. Upon completion of the screening process, your WordPress theme and plugin will be shown, along with information on how many times it has been downloaded, as well as feedback and reviews from other users, if applicable.
- The Lite version of your WordPress theme or plugin may be published here initially, so that you can get a feel for how the company works before moving on. In order to expose your goods to the market, it is an excellent venue.
Go to the WordPress Repository for further information.
Creative Market is an online marketplace for design components that have been made by members of the public.
Graphics, WordPress themes, stock photos, and other digital products are available for purchase from the firm by web designers. Creative Market has over a million users and more than 250,000 items for sale on its website.
- It is not necessary to renew an existing listing. It is possible to sell your data straight immediately because there is no need to go through an approval process. In terms of exclusivity, there are no constraints.
Pay a visit to the Creative Market
However, although antique jewelry and clothing come to mind when thinking about Etsy, there is much more that you can offer on this one-of-a-kind platform. Vintage, handmade, or craft materials are required to be sold on Etsy according to the site’s guidelines, and WordPress themes fall neatly into the handcrafted category.
- It has a low price listing fee of just $0.20
- It has an approximate 8 percent commission for payment processing transactions when selling themes on this site
- And it has a low price listing charge of only $0.20.
- There is no automatic renewal of your subscription. You must make certain that a listing is refreshed as soon as it is sold, or else a consumer seeking for it may not be able to locate it.
To learn more about Etsy, please see the following article.
GrayGrids is a marketplace where you can download and create HTML5 Bootstrap Templates and WordPress Themes, which are available for free, premium, and freemium. It is a user-friendly, comprehensive, and intelligent marketplace that allows anybody to sell and download products on the site without registration.
- Authors will get 60-80 percent of all sales, which is exclusive to them. Each calendar month’s payments are processed at the end of the month and distributed via PayPal or Payoneer on the 15th day of the following month. Goods are accepted in 7-10 days on average
- However, some items may take longer.
GrayGrid may be found here.
WrapBootstrap is a marketplace where designers may sell themes and templates that are based on the Bootstrap grid system. This marketplace was created to address that need by allowing designers to upload and sell their own Bootstrap-based themes and templates on a platform dedicated to them. Sellers can sell their items under one of the many different use licenses available and earn a portion of each transaction they complete.
- A seller often earns between 50 and 75 percent of the total sales price, depending on the circumstances. As a non-exclusive seller, you will get a commission of 35% of the total sales price. HTML5 templates are reviewed in three weeks, whereas WordPress or E-commerce templates are reviewed in two weeks.
Pay a visit to Wrapbootstrap.
Where do you sell your WordPress themes?
The truth is that there is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to deciding which marketplace is ideal for your themes. You’ll have to pick whether you want to be an exclusive seller on a certain marketplace or whether you want to maintain the option of selling your items on other marketplaces. Yet another item to consider is whether or not you’re prepared to offer a free, bare-bones version of your theme. Providing your free version on select marketplaces will help you to build customer confidence as they discover more about your items – an investment that will pay off handsomely in the long run.
Not only does designing an appealing design take time and effort, but it also requires knowledge on how to market a topic effectively. Many advantages come from collaborating with an online marketplace, including increased exposure and time savings for both the author and his or her audience. When conducting business outside of an online market, people should be able to cope with basic duties such as securely accepting payments, paying taxes, licensing software, sending transactional emails, managing subscriptions, and installing automated upgrades, among other things.
A membership in such a shop will be beneficial to both rookie and expert authors.
Your theme will be included in the top-rated list as well!
Become a subscriber to our Weekly WordPress Newsletter. Every Friday, you’ll receive updates on the WordPress community, including news, tutorials, reviews, and fantastic bargains. The email address entered is invalid.
8 Best Marketplaces to Sell WordPress Themes & Plugins
Are you ready to join the hundreds of other WordPress companies that have already benefited from our services? The difficulty in getting started is that you do not yet have a base on which to build. If you’ve just launched your site, you’ll find yourself introducing your new theme or plugin to a small group of people who aren’t interested. This will result in sales that are below expectations. So, what are your options? A well-established marketplace with thousands of eager consumers welcomes the introduction of your fantastic new product.
The best WordPress marketplaces
If you want to broaden your reach and get your items into the hands of additional people, you may take advantage of eight different marketplaces. At the end of this post, I’ll provide my thoughts on the best course of action, so be sure to keep reading if you want some more information beyond the market’s suggestions. Right present, there are eight places where you may sell your WordPress themes and plugins.
Themeforest is the most popular WordPress theme marketplace on the internet today. It’s operated by Envato, which also operates a variety of other markets for digital goods and services. A total of over 40,000 themestemplates have been released on Themeforest by over 3,00 writers, making it the largest theme marketplace on the internet. The massive amount of traffic that this website receives will assist you in making your first few sales, after which you’ll be off to the races. Having said that, merely being featured on our site does not indicate that you will make a lot of money.
Themeforest will pay you 62.5 percent of each transaction if you sell your goods only through the marketplace.
You’ll keep 87.50 percent of each sale on their platform until you earn $75,000 in total sales on their platform.
For more information, read this in-depth review of ThemeForest by Freemius to determine whether or not selling on ThemeForest is a good fit for you.
Envato’s CodeCanyon marketplace is yet another well-known destination for creative professionals. If you’re interested in selling WordPress plugins, CodeCanyon is an excellent platform for you to sell your items on. You have two alternatives as a plugin developer if you want to generate money: either put freemium plugins into the WordPress plugin repository or sell plugins on your own website (which is more difficult). By using CodeCanyon, you may avoid the headache of creating a freemium model, and you’ll quickly reach a large number of people, which is likely the most difficult aspect of selling your own plugins on the internet.
The commissions on CodeCanyon scale in the same way as they do on Themeforest. Update: Here’s another study piece from Freemius on the data that drive CodeCanyon’s business model.
3. TemplateMonster Marketplace
We’ve been recommending TemplateMonster’s items in our theme collections for some years now, and their marketplace has grown in popularity over time. As of 2017, TemplateMonster now allows third-party WordPress developers and designers to submit their items for consideration for inclusion on the marketplace’s website. Exclusive writers receive a 50 percent commission to begin with, increasing to up to 70 percent after they exceed $100,000 in total sales. For the first three months, new authors receive the entire 70 percent of their earnings, which is a fantastic bonus for starting started on their platform.
4. Mojo Marketplace
It was just a few years ago that the Mojo Themes and Mojo Code marketplaces came together to establish the newMojo Marketplaceplatform. While Mojo Marketplace is not as well-known as Themeforest, one of the advantages of using it is that it integrates directly with hosting services like as HostGator. Because of this, many brand new WordPress users will discover your themes and plugins as soon as they begin building their website. The commissions paid to exclusive authors on the Mojo Marketplace range from 50 to 70 percent.
ThemeSnapi is a marketplace for WordPress and Drupal themes, as well as HTML templates and other web design elements. Despite the fact that it is not as well-known as the other marketplaces, ThemeSnap offers extremely competitive commission rates. You begin with a 55 percent commission and can earn up to a 75 percent commission. Also noteworthy is that this is true for both exclusive and non-exclusive writers. In addition to selling WordPress themes, you may wish to explore selling Drupal or Joomla themes as well.
6. Creative Market
Creative Market enables artists to sell WordPress themes, templates, and a wide range of other graphic design products directly from their website. The Creative Market differs from the other marketplaces in that there is no approval procedure for the items listed on the site. Authors receive a set fee of 70% of every sale, regardless of whether the book is unique to the publisher. Additionally, being a creative marketplace, you may include any additional design assets you’ve created, such as typefaces, images, and icon sets.
Another excellent alternative for selling your WordPress themes and plugins is Codester.com. Not only do they provide WordPress items for sale, but they also list scripts, applications, and images for sale.
Codester places a strong emphasis on code and scripts rather than themes, making it an excellent website for displaying your WordPress plugins. For both veterans and newcomers, commissions are fixed at 70% of the total amount. There are no minimums or requirements for exclusivity.
It is possible to list your WordPress goods on WordPress.org in two independent repositories: the theme repository and the plugin repository. While you cannot sell your themes and plugins on wordpress.org, you may submit them for evaluation and have them published if they are free. Because of the vast dissemination that their site provides, you will receive a large number of downloads. At the time of my company’s inception, I decided to make use of the WordPress theme repository and sell premium upgrades in order to finance my efforts.
Which marketplace should you use?
There is no “correct” or “wrong” way to go about establishing your WordPress business, but here are a few different approaches you may use. It’s likely that Themeforest is your best choice if you want to start generating sales straight away from a premium theme you purchased. Try CodeCanyon if you’re looking for plugins. These markets are incredibly popular, with exclusive writers earning millions of dollars via their work. When you achieve the $75,000 sales barrier and get the 87.50 percent commissions, you may actually earn more money as an exclusive author than you can on any other platform.
As a result, if you choose this option, you’ll want to make an effort to establish a successful website of your own.
Another option for generating a large number of downloads rapidly is to make advantage of the WordPress.org theme or plugin repository. In addition to receiving a large amount of traffic, another advantage is the ability to sell your premium version directly from your website. So, instead of maintaining, say, 70% of each transaction, you’ll keep around 97 percent of each sale after paying for payment processing to PayPal or Stripe, respectively. The difficulty in this case is that it is more difficult to develop, administer, and advertise a separate premium upgrade, and you will have a large number of free users to support if you want to maintain a favorable reputation.
When your consumers begin to utilize your theme, they will begin to search for WordPress developers to provide them with more complex features.
The final possible alternative is to develop premium themes and/or plugins and then sell them through your website. Create an author account on all of the marketplaces listed above as a non-exclusive author. Focusing on the growth of your site and viewing affiliate programs as a means to increase sales, the 45-70 percent commissions won’t appear to be that low.
The disadvantage is that it might become complicated to manage your items across your website and numerous different platforms at the same time. Following a customer’s purchase, it may be difficult to distribute fresh updates and develop a straightforward onboarding experience for the new customer.
Which marketplace will you use?
Will you offer your products on a marketplace or on your own website? Is it better to have a freemium or a paid service? There is no right or wrong way to do this, so please share your thoughts in the comments section. What methods do you use to promote your WordPress products? Ben Sibley is a writer who lives in New York City. Ben Sibley is the creator of Compete Themes, a company that specializes in WordPress theme design and development.
Commercial Developers: How to Sell Your First 100 WordPress Themes and Plugins
Since its inception some years ago, the premium WordPress product industry has grown steadily in size and sophistication. Selling premium WordPress themes and plugins has become a legitimate means of generating six- or even seven-figure incomes for top developers in the last few years. This has resulted in an explosion of new items reaching the market, as well as a slew of new developers competing for a piece of the action. Unfortunately, many of them are left dissatisfied, as sales fall far short of what they had anticipated.
Why are some developers extremely successful, but others struggle to make a decent wage as a result of their efforts?
The problem is that many developers have no clue how to market and sell their goods – after all, how can you expect to generate any money if your target audience isn’t aware of your offerings?
1. Freemium Business Model
If you’re releasing your very first product, it’s likely that most people have never heard of you before. Because of this, it is 10 times more difficult to gain momentum. It’s doubtful that people will spend a lot of money on a product they’ve never heard of, developed by an unknown creator – at least not until the product is genuinely new and outstanding. They are, nevertheless, more willing to try out a product if it is free of charge to them. Make a basic version of your product available for download, regardless of whether you’re selling themes or plugins.
People who are impressed with the “Lite” version of your product are considerably more inclined to purchase the “Full” version of your product.
2. Sell on the Big Marketplaces
If you sell your themes and plugins only through your website, you will have to overcome two challenges:
- Getting visitors to visit your website and persuading them to make a purchase are two of the most difficult tasks.
Visit an area where you know large groups of purchasers congregate, such as ThemeForest(themes) or CodeCanyon, and you will find your life much more convenient and enjoyable (plugins). Because there is already a ready-made consumer base for huge manufacturers, they all offer their items on Amazon.com for the same reason. Sure, you’ll still have to work hard to distinguish yourself from the crowd, but it’ll be much simpler to get noticed this way. Following that, you may concentrate on optimizing your product page in order to increase conversions.
When you have a significant consumer base, selling your items on the largest WordPress marketplaces may still be a highly profitable endeavor.
With the best-selling theme, Avada, delivering almost 145,000 themes at a cost of $58 each, the results are even more astonishing, with approximately $8 million in income generated by the best-selling theme.
But, could these engineers have earned anything close to such sums if they had worked on their own?
No way in hell. You have a choice: would you rather earn 100 percent of a smaller amount (or zero) or 50 percent to 70 percent of a somewhat larger figure? That is a decision that only you have the authority to make, but the Envato markets are definitely worth considering.
3. Start an Affiliate Program
It is possible that you are not the finest marketer in the world; thus, why not hire marketing professionals to perform the heavy lifting for you? Start an affiliate program with a large compensation structure. This will encourage top marketers and blogs to promote your items on their websites, and you will get a fee for each transaction they facilitate. Obviously, you’ll have to put yourself out there in order to attract your initial affiliates. However, if you have a product that has been proved to sell, this method has the potential to grow exponentially.
4. Reach Out to WordPress Blogs and Bloggers
Do you know where the folks who are most likely to purchase your themes/plugins already hang out? Yes, you read it correctly: the current WordPress blogs. In exchange for providing a review copy of your product, many prominent bloggers would be delighted to feature you in their shop window by releasing an in-depth review of your product. This is an excellent method of demonstrating to potential customers your product’s primary features while also offering a demonstration of how to utilize the product itself.
If you throw your net broad enough, you’re likely to attract some attention, and this is frequently enough to begin things moving in the right direction.
When it comes to doing business in the real world, the famous adage from Field of Dreams — “if you build it, they will come” — simply does not apply. I’m sure there are many WordPress developers out there who are creating outstanding themes and plugins but who aren’t getting paid anywhere near what their abilities are worth. Consider the following: When it comes to business, having a fantastic product isn’t enough on its own. You’ll also need a well-thought-out promotional campaign. Everyone’s goods will be promoted in a unique way, but the four recommendations in today’s post are simple to execute and broad enough to serve as a good starting point for any developers interested in launching a commercial WordPress business.
Do you have any further suggestions that you’d like to share?
The image used in this post is from of GotCredit.
5 Years of Selling on ThemeForest – Pros and Cons
With WordPress being utilized by over 43.0 percent of all websites, the market may be quite competitive at times! One of the most difficult decisions for many new WordPress theme developers is whether or not to go it alone or whether or not to distribute their work through an already existing marketplace. The pleasure of interviewing Henry Rise, the CEO of ThemeREX, a Power Elite Author on ThemeForest, is what we have today for you. He’ll be sharing his first-hand knowledge with ThemeForest, having sold themes on the site for five years, as well as some of the advantages and disadvantages of using the platform.
If you are still debating which path to take, maybe this information will assist you in making a better educated decision.
ThemeForest + WordPress
For those of you who are unfamiliar with ThemeForest, it is a website owned by Envato that allows you to purchase and sell HTML templates and themes for major content management system products such as WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. According to Alexa, they are among the top 1,000 most visited websites in the planet, with millions of visits each month. They are unquestionably one of the most significant online marketplaces of its sort. WordPress Theme from ThemeForest WordPress themes are available on ThemeForest in excess of 10,000 variations as of the writing of this article.
- You may purchase a theme for almost any purpose, ranging from a business e-commerce theme to a wedding theme, among others.
- ThemeForest 2008 is a collection of free WordPress themes.
- Because WordPress themes are simple to create, it’s only logical that this be the case.
- WordPress is used by 43.0 percent of all content management system users, according to W3Techs.
- However, due to the large number of WordPress themes available on ThemeForest, the competition is quite fierce.
- In order to be successful on ThemeForest, authors and developers will need to make certain adjustments to their tactics.
- Although you may be a member of the power elite as an author, it is still essential that you execute additional marketing efforts for your business.
What is a Power Elite Author?
Envato offers what they refer to as a “elite” program. This is done in order to recognize and reward vendors who exceed specified benchmarks in terms of overall sales volume. A seller’s profile with an elite badge, a tuts+ membership for 12 months, and Google Analytics is awarded once they have reached $75,000 in total sales at the first level. Once you have this information, you can add UTM parameters to your marketing campaigns and track which ones are truly converting. The stages go all the way up to $25 million, where you may choose your own adventure and Envato will cover the costs.
While such figures may appear to be astronomical to some, the WordPress theme market offers substantial financial rewards.
In addition, at $60 per license, you may calculate that a single multipurpose theme might generate almost $20 million in sales.
However, because they have a well-established brand and concept, they also have the advantage of having more time on their hands. With all of the competition these days, it may be much more difficult.
Pros of Selling on ThemeForest
Today’s conversation is with ThemeREX, a super elite author who has sold over 37,000 copies of his books. They have over 156 WordPress themes available on ThemeForest, with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5. If you are considering putting your designs up for sale on ThemeForest, you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of doing so before proceeding. Who better to seek advise from than a vendor who has already established himself in the market? Author of ThemeRex’s power elite theme According to Henry, their CEO, the following are some of the advantages of selling themes on ThemeForest:
Envato provides youstabilityand confidence in your bright future if you are establishing a web design business (we mean genuine business, not producing templates from time to time when you’re in the proper mood).
2. Lots of Traffic
Envato receives an absurd amount of traffic. The company receives more than 9 million organic visitors every month, according to SEMRush, and this is solely based on desktop traffic estimates. As a result, you can fairly infer that it is a lot! ThemeForest.net traffic statistics are available here. What does this mean for you and your situation? Your topics are being viewed by a targeted audience, which includes a large number of relevant people. This is not a random influx of traffic. Users that explore your themes have a great deal of expertise about the subject matter.
- So, what should you do in this situation?
- Take, for example, ThemeREXas an example.
- Please bear in mind that the majority of the traffic is generated via demonstrations.
- What can you do to avoid it?
- Make certain that you have your finger in the pie of traffic congestion.
3. Choose Your Pricing
Envato provides you with the option. You have complete control over the pricing of your things. For example, you may choose the cheapest price and sell your great, time-consuming work for pennies on the dollar. This will be your sacrifice in the sake of name-building and ascent to the peak of the mountain. Alternatively, you may do the inverse. You may charge hundreds of dollars each theme, much like some of the most expensive merchants on the top end of the market.
4. Higher Revenue With Exclusivity
You will have to make another important decision if you decide to work with Envato. What do you prefer: to sell your themes worldwide or just on Envato Market? The difference is in the amount of money earned. In the event that you are selling your items in several locations, you will receive 50% of the money. Perhaps this will be sufficient satisfaction for you. However, the majority of Envato partners chose exclusivity and exclusively sell their themes through Envato.
The price can then be decreased to 12.5 percent, however this is subject on the amount of gross sales generated. As a result, it’d be wise to rethink what might be most helpful for you. Find out more about the Envato author fees.
Want to know how we increased our traffic over 1000%?
Join over 20,000 other people who receive our monthly email, which contains insider WordPress advice! Now is the time to subscribe. Envato author fees are paid by the author.
5. Envato Wants You To Succeed
Envato is concerned about the well-being of its vendors. The team wants you to be known as an elite/power elite author, and they want you to get that recognition. And, of course, the greater number of sales you make immediately translates into greater money for the company. You will receive several benefits, including badges, and you will be included to their wall of fame. They will also broadcast your interviews on their site, among other things. For example, when your new theme is introduced, Envato promotes it prominently on its website’s homepage.
6. Earn Extra Income on Support
Because of your efficiency, you can raise significant amounts of money for assistance. Customers now pay for additional help on ThemeForest, therefore it can be claimed that the support department’s salaries are covered by the site’s revenue. This is quite effective. More information on ThemeForest’s support policy may be found here. ThemeForest compensates its customers for service.
7. Great Community
The final advantage is the strong sense of community that exists around Envato. This is something you become a part of. You will have the ability to converse with developers who share your interests, learn from them, share ideas, and’steal’ new ideas, among other things.
Cons of Selling on ThemeForest
While there are several advantages to using ThemeForest for writers, the following are some of the disadvantages:
1. Theme Rejections
Because Envato’s requirements are quite high and their policies change frequently, you are likely to receive several rejections from the company. You become upset as a result of the rejections, and you begin to believe that things are becoming too difficult for you. Here’s an example from the forum to illustrate my point. If you are rejected from ThemeForest, recognize that Envato has a solid reason for their stringent standards. They are required to maintain a specific degree of quality. Take this as a challenge to your professionalism, and your work will improve as well as your level of competence will increase as a result.
2. No Branding
A large number (if not all) of merchants despise the fact that they cannot be identified. We all have our own goals and aspirations. However, we must voluntarily agree to participate in this by our own free will. It is possible that clients are irritated by the fact that they are purchasing via Envato rather than from your business. You should be prepared to receive a large number of support tickets addressed to you as a member of the Envato support staff.
This offers nothing to assist you in building your brand. Everything has a cost, and this is the cost you should expect to pay for the plethora of options provided by Envato. If you want to establish your brand, you should do your own marketing.
3. Just Part of a Machine
What are the lyrics to the Scorpions’ songs that you can recall? “You’re merely a drop in the bucket, a number rather than a name.” It’s not fun to be in that position, but the reality is that, despite the fact that they want you to succeed, you are still only a cog in the Envato machine and cannot be treated as such. If you visit the community forum, you’ll notice merchants posting about their problems, such as a reduction in sales (like in the example below) and other subjects that are important to their businesses.
However, they receive no response from Envato.
Because they are the heart and soul of Envato, ThemeForest should be concerned about its writers.
4. Mess With Pricing
Another significant concern is the cost of living. According to the Envato Terms of Service, everyone has the right to establish their own rates for their own items, which is reasonable. However, some writers offer their products as the most costly commodities on the market, while others sell their themes at a loss of virtually 0 percent income to the author, in order to achieve their promotional goals. Multi-skin templates are also strong rivals since they can be utilized to create a large number of websites for the price of a single one.
We realize that we should not hold others responsible for their successes and failures, yet this knowing does not make things any less difficult to bear.
5. It’s Difficult To Succeed
If you are merely planning to begin your cooperation with Envato, prepare yourself for some difficult times. Please understand that we don’t want to frighten you away, but it is really tough to visit ThemeForest right now. Even the most powerful players are beginning to feel the breath of their opponents on the back of their heads. With cheap discount methods and an abundant market of high-quality items, it may cost you an arm and a leg to add any further value to your product. And don’t hold your breath waiting for a response from Envato.
It might take up to two or three days to receive a simple yes-or-no response to an email.
6. Requires Extra Marketing
If you want to make it on Envato, you’ll have to put in some extra work to sell your themes and get them noticed. A little bit of math: ThemeForest needs at least 2 million additional users to purchase their WordPress goods in order to just stay viable, according to the numbers. Two million people is a lot of people, and it’s all simply to preserve things the same as they are without any growth.
You might argue that the need for WordPress is increasing and that people are becoming even more reliant on websites and the internet, but who knows how huge the demand could become in the future.
Every business has its advantages and disadvantages, and this is especially true for large enterprises that employ a large number of people. Aside from the disadvantages listed above, the majority of Envato merchants are pleased to be a part of the community and have built their businesses around it. If you are on the fence about whether or not to try your luck with Envato, we can only advise you to do so. It is preferable to take action and fail than to remain inactive. Perhaps you have the potential to become a rising star on ThemeForest.
Do you have a personal narrative or personal experiences with selling on ThemeForest?
Save time and money while improving the overall speed of your site by implementing:
- Instant assistance from WordPress hosting professionals, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Integration of Cloudflare Enterprise Edition
- With 29 data centers across the world, you can access a global audience. Application Performance Monitoring (APM) is embedded into our platform, allowing for optimization.
That and much more is included in a single plan that includes no long-term obligations, aided migrations, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, among other things. Check out our options or speak with a sales representative to select the plan that is suitable for you.
How to Start Selling WordPress Themes
Are you interested in making and selling WordPress themes, but aren’t sure where to begin? Here are some suggestions. There are many various ways to sell WordPress themes, and this page discusses many of them, including alternative strategies such as partnerships. How would you want to get compensated for your web development work in the form of passive income? One such market sector is WordPress Themes, which provides not only passive income but also rich business and career chances for those who are willing to succeed in this field.
- And take a look at the current state of the theme park industry.
- Consider how many firms have abandoned bespoke development in favor of adopting WordPress to meet all of their design requirements.
- Consider the most popular markets, as well as alternate alternatives including partnerships, advertising networks, and other similar initiatives.
- Let’s get this party started!
Sell Your Themes with Envato
It’s impossible to claim that you’ve never heard of Envato before. And if you are able to do so, either you are experiencing your first day on the internet or you have been living under a rock for more than a decade. When it comes to graphic design, developer, and designer marketplaces, Envato is a household brand in the industry. Also under the control of Envato isTutsplus, a website that provides numerous tutorials and courses on web building. Last but not least, Envato is the parent company of ThemeForest and CodeCanyon.
[*] On Codecanyon, for example, plugins such as Visual Composer have been developed from the ground up.
We at StylemixThemes are also big fans of Envato goods, and we’ve amassed more than 50,000 consumers only via our themes sales. Briefly said, ThemeForest offers a great deal to offer both novice and experienced theme creators alike.
What does it take to get your theme published in ThemeForest?
To be honest, it isn’t all that horrible. Despite the fact that Envatorrequires a large number of criteria before themes can be released, it is possible to do this with significant effort. One of ThemeForest’s published developers, Rich Tabor, has written a blog article explaining more than 11 steps on how to have your theme published on the marketplace each and every time. His recommendations, such as “Theme Check is simply the quickest and most convenient way to ensure that your WordPress theme is compliant with the newest coding standards and practices,” may sound self-explanatory, yet they are frequently overlooked by careless developers.
- Above all, the quality of the theme design should be the most important aspect in determining whether or not your application will be approved.
- And it takes a lot of effort and sweat to stand out from the crowd.
- As a consequence, you, as a developer, must come up with unique and original approaches to design a theme that stands out from the competition.
- A theme framework enables consumers to utilize the theme elements to build an infinite number of website permutations by using the theme framework.
What are the advantages of publishing your theme with ThemeForest?
Tens of thousands of designers call ThemeForest their home, and tens of millions of visitors visit Envato marketplaces every month, according to the company. This type of exposure is difficult to ignore, even if Envato decides to take a big cut of each of your sales as a kind of compensation. ThemeForest, as a platform, offers support for almost everything you could imagine. All you have to do is submit a theme, have it approved, and the sales will flow organically as long as your product is of high quality.
But, other from that, what are the advantages of publishing with Envato as opposed to anywhere else?
Bloggers, for example, construct popular theme lists for certain categories (e.g., creative, blogging, lifestyle, etc.) and assemble a list of premium themes from ThemeForest, which they then sell to others.
So long as your theme is relevant to the specific area and has a distinct style, you are effectively getting marketing done for you for free. And believe me when I say that this is a very profitable enterprise from which many bloggers are earning six-figure incomes.
Grow your revenue with the Envato Elite program.
The Envato Elite Programhas been established not just to provide incentives for marketing, but also to recognize and encourage the efforts of all Envato writers. Elite authors also get access to a Google Analytics page for their profile, which is an added bonus. Because of this, you may begin tracking your efforts and gathering information on what is and isn’t working. First-time Elite badge recipients are those who have earned a total of at least $75,000 from any of the markets listed on their profile.
After that, you may choose to travel to outer space if you like, or you can ask Envato to pay for an extravagant trip of your choosing.
But, do they truly exist?
Not to add that some themes sell for as much as 25,000 dollars or more.
Partner with StylemixThemes
Lastly, before we finish up all of this discussion about Envato and ThemeForest, we thought you would be interested in learning more about our Partner Program. StylemixThemes is interested in collaborating and forming partnerships with independent designers and authors. As a result of our extensive experience and knowledge in the Envato Market as well as online marketing, we can publish your WordPress theme, provide 24/7 professional technical support, advising, and marketing and promotion services.
- The StylemixThemes team will guarantee that your Theme is entirely compliant, and we will run various marketing efforts over the first few months after the theme is made available.
- Simply get in touch with us to find out whether there are any other popular markets where you can sell WordPress themes.
- The dilemma is, are you able to satisfy their needs while still agreeing to their policies?
- As a follow-up to ThemeForest, there are a number of similar platforms available, and we would like to highlight the two most notable of them as a starting point.
Creative Market is a platform that encourages creators from all over the world to share and market their work. And, while you’re at it, you can make some good money. What began as a tiny firm that provided a platform for graphic designers to sell their work has grown to be viewed by more than 6 million purchasers each month on Creative Market. That’s enough to make a ten-fold difference in your life. Aside from that, Creative Market makes it simple to start your own business. You may earn a fixed 70% commission on every sale you make, and you will never earn less than that.
You can sell anywhere you choose without having to worry about license restrictions.
You have the freedom to change your price whenever you choose, especially if you believe a new trend is brewing. WordPress themes, plugins, and just about every Graphic Design resource conceivable are all available for sale on the site.
MOJO Marketplace, which was founded in 2009, is a leading marketplace for digital products, linking our 5.8 million members to more than 7,500 different things. The MOJO platform, which is based in Salt Lake City, was created for the creators, the doers, the Imagineers, the bloggers, and the entrepreneurs to give the tools that help them bring their ideas to life. Sellers on MOJO Marketplace can be anyone who want to do so. To complete the process, all you have to do is follow the well described directions provided.
Open Your Personal Theme Store
Another method of selling WordPress themes is to sell them directly to customers without going via a middleman. Instead, you might devote your efforts to developing a website that will serve as a centralized platform for selling and advertising your theme. While it is more difficult to implement in terms of promotion, it is a realistic option if you want to save a significant amount of money on third-party costs. One of the reasons that so many individuals shy away from starting their own personal theme store is the amount of paperwork that is required.
- You are solely responsible for all aspects of the company, including refunds, feedback, support, and other aspects of the business.
- However, not everything is horrible.
- It is possible to offer many themes for a single fixed price and collect that fee on a monthly or yearly basis with the help of membership plugins.
- When it comes to accepting payments, payment gateway services such as PayPal and Stripe have made the process quite simple.
- For those that are concerned in promoting their theme shop in general, there are two methods available to them: Pay-per-click advertising (which we will discuss in greater detail later) and content marketing are the two options available to businesses today.
- Even well-known companies such as Elementor, OptinMonster, Brainstorm Force, and StylemixThemes are utilizing content marketing to increase organic search traffic.
- Instead than trying to copy what everyone else is doing, the ultimate purpose of content marketing should be to focus on ways that are both creative and unique.
At the end of the day, it is the ideas that are unique and intriguing that receive the most attention. In addition, when it comes to WordPress themes, the industry may benefit from some clearly defined lessons on how to design themes and other related topics.
Promote Your Themes Using Ad Networks
Finally, you may use advertising networks to get the word out about your business. To be clear, this is not a free option for promoting and selling your theme. However, in many ways, it is the one that will provide the biggest return on investment. For this section, I’m going to concentrate on the ad networks that are most popular among WordPress theme authors. You are free to utilize as many other networks as you like. We will now proceed to the main event without further ado.
Advertise with BuySellAds, which offers some of the most comprehensive advertising packages available on the market. BSA is used by a number of excellent businesses to advertise their advertising space. Some of the most well-known brands are Tom’s Hardware, Anand Tech, Live Science, and many others. The great thing about BSA is that you can reach a genuinely varied audience with your message. What do you mean? BFA hosts websites in a variety of areas, including beauty, entertainment, education, travel, and many more.
Each website that sells advertising has a unique profile page that includes information about the number of monthly visitors, the number of social media followers, and the prices for each advertising spot.
Carbon Ads, in a strange twist of fate, is a member of the BuySellAds network. Only Design and Development platforms, on the other hand, are welcome to use this service. As a result, the community and websites that are offered are of far higher quality, but they are also significantly more expensive. We place a greater emphasis on value rather than the “Click here! Click here!” mindset of other ad networks. Publishers in the Carbon network are hand-selected based on the quality of their content and the engagement of their audiences, and we only work with advertisers that provide value to the lives of those audiences.
In any case, wouldn’t you want your theme advertising to appear on sites like as Bootstrap, Dribbble, Coding Horror, and other similar platforms?
Google AdWords is a premium advertising platform that is powered by the search engine giant. You are already familiar with AdWords since you use it on a regular basis in your search-to-search activities. You know, those little “Ads” tabs that appear on the first page of results when you search for something on the internet? This link is sponsored by Google AdWords, as shown by the little “Ads” boxes at the bottom of the page. AdWords has the advantage of providing you with access to a far larger library of keywords, which in turn opens the door to several new business prospects.
The search advertising industry is dominated by Google, which dominates the search market in the vast majority of nations.
Furthermore, you have the ability to target consumers based on a variety of different factors.
As a result, for every $50 that you spend, you should receive a $100 return.
Search engine result pages are beginning to become clogged with all kinds of trash (snippets, etc.), and if you want to see consistent development, you may need to make a monetary investment.
Finally, but certainly not least, there are paid reviews. When you pay a blogger or brand to write about your product or theme, this is known as a sponsored review. These are far more popular than most people realize. In addition, if the correct conditions are met, you may anticipate a healthy return. For example, it may be impossible for you to obtain a sponsored article on Smashing Magazine without spending an absurd amount of money. Can you, on the other hand, perceive the instant benefits?
Second, all of the mentions of your product or subject result in a tremendous amount of link juice being generated for you.
To begin, I would conduct Google searches for terms that are linked to WordPress.
After that, browse through each one and see if they have any sponsored articles available.
The value of these sorts of possibilities might range from $20 to $500, depending on the newspaper and its audience.