WordPress theme install
- Log in to your WordPress admin page, then go to Appearance and select Themes.
- To add a theme, click Add New.
- To unlock a theme’s options, hover over it; you can either choose Preview to see a demo of the theme or install it by clicking the Install button once you’re ready.
- 1 How do I manually install a WordPress theme?
- 2 How do I install a downloaded WordPress theme?
- 3 How do I upload a theme to WordPress?
- 4 How can I customize my WordPress theme?
- 5 How do I install a zip theme in WordPress?
- 6 Can’t install Themes WordPress?
- 7 How do I download a WordPress theme from a live site?
- 8 Can you install Themes on free WordPress?
- 9 How do I create a WordPress theme template?
- 10 How do I display custom post type in WordPress?
- 11 Where can I get free WordPress Themes?
- 12 How do I edit a WordPress theme without coding?
- 13 How do I edit a WordPress theme without activating it?
- 14 Beginners Guide: How to Install a WordPress Theme
- 15 How to Install a WordPress Theme (3 Easy Methods)
- 16 How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme
- 16.1 1. Decide Between a Free or Premium WordPress Theme
- 16.2 2. Know Your Niche
- 16.3 3. Use Credible Sources
- 16.4 4. Keep It Simple
- 16.5 5. Look for Responsive Design
- 16.6 6. Evaluate the Theme Support
- 16.7 7. Consider the Features
- 17 How to Install a Free WordPress Theme
- 18 How to Install a Premium WordPress Theme
- 19 How to Install a WordPress Theme Using FTP
- 20 Summary
- 21 Using Themes
- 22 Default ThemesDefault Themes
- 23 Get New ThemesGet New Themes
- 24 Adding New ThemesAdding New Themes
- 25 Activating the ThemeActivating the Theme
- 26 Creating ThemesCreating Themes
- 27 Upload a Theme to WordPress.com
- 28 How to Install WordPress Themes: Quick & Easy Tutorial
- 29 Using the WordPress themes directory
- 30 WordPress theme install
- 30.1 The following are the fundamental steps for most themes: Log into your WordPress administration page, then pick Appearance > Themes from the drop-down menu. To add a new theme, select Add New from the drop-down menu. You may add a new theme in two different methods from this page. You may look for a theme by its name in the Theme directory if you know what you’re looking for. To find themes that satisfy your search criteria if you don’t know the name of the theme you want, use the Feature Filter to narrow down your options, check any tags, and then click Apply Filter to see a screen loaded with themes that match your search criteria. Theme settings are unlocked by hovering over them You can then pick Preview to see a trial of the theme, or you may install it by clicking the Install button after you’re through. Once the software has been installed, click the Activate link. You’re finished Now go ahead and preview your site to see how it appears. We recommend that you carefully go through any installation instructions that may be included with your selected theme. Some topics will need a greater number of stages than others, in addition to the fundamental processes described here. Follow the instructions provided, and if you encounter any difficulties, you may contact the theme’s author for assistance. Download WordPress themes Theme purchases made from developers that do not operate within the WordPress themes directory must be uploaded before they can be used on your site. The following are basic procedures for uploading and installing a theme on your computer. Download the theme’s.zip file from the source site to your local computer and then unzip the file. Navigate to AppearanceThemes in your WordPress Administration section and click Add New The option to Upload Theme has been added to the Add New Theme screen. The theme upload box is now open Choose Choose File from the drop-down menu and then pick the theme zip file on your computer before clickingInstall Now. Once the theme has been downloaded from the zip file, it may be activated from your WordPress administration. The Appearance tab should be selected, and the Themes directory should be opened. Locate the theme and click the Activate link How to install WordPress themes using FTP If you have a WordPress theme on your local computer, you may install it by utilizing the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) protocol (FTP). By employing this strategy, you run the danger of removing or changing files, which might result in your website becoming unavailable. As a result, we recommend that only expert users utilize this method of installing themes. Follow these procedures if you want to manually upload new themes to your website using the FTP. To begin, you’ll need an FTP hostname, as well as a login and password, as well as an FTP client. To demonstrate the methods in this lesson, we’ve utilized the FTP software Filezilla. To begin, open Filezilla and log in with your credentials by clicking on the Quickconnect button. The Remote Site and a root directory (the root directory is the name of your site) are displayed in the following window. Choose /rootdirectory/web/content/wp-content/themes from the drop-down menu. To access more choices in the Local Site window, right-click the folder containing your stored theme and select “More Options.” and press the Upload button You’ve now completed the process of uploading your theme to WordPress. To complete the process, log into your control panel and navigate to AppearanceThemes, where you will hover your mouse over the new theme. Now press the Activate button. You’ve now completed the process of uploading your theme to WordPress. To complete the process, log into your control panel and navigate to AppearanceThemes, where you will hover your mouse over the new theme. Now press the Activate button. Now all that’s left is for you to experiment with your new theme and see how you like your new website design. Finally, if you want to do things on your own, you may circumvent the WordPress theme uploader tools entirely and download your theme directly from the WordPress website. The manual installation of a theme entails a few more procedures. It entails uploading your theme straight to your server using the cPanel provided by your web provider. Apply a template to individual pages Finally, if you want to do things on your own, you may circumvent the WordPress theme uploader tools entirely and download your theme directly from the WordPress website.com website. A few more actions are required when installing a theme by hand. Uploading your theme to your server directly through your host’s cPanel is how you accomplish this. Open the WordPress Page Editor by clicking on the corresponding button. If your page has any appropriate templates, you’ll see a list of them in the Page Attributes box to the right of your text If your page does not have any applicable templates, you’ll see a blank box. Choose a template and then click Preview to see whether the template is a good fit for your page before storing it As soon as you’re satisfied with the page template, press Publish. Safely changing WordPress themes It is rather simple for new website owners to change their WordPress themes; all that is required is that you choose a theme and install it. If you already have a WordPress website, updating the overall design of your website is a significant step. We strongly advise you to make a backup of your site before proceeding. Although switching themes might be frightening, you should not let this deter you from adopting a fresh design for your website. Following the creation of a backup, you should follow these instructions to prepare for changing themes. Keep themes updated One final point to remember about themes is to maintain them up to date. It takes very little time and effort to keep the fundamental WordPress themes up to date. It is beneficial to update themes since each version brings with it new features and advancements, such as improved security and SEO. By keeping your themes up to date, you run the risk of causing troubles for your website. During an upgrade, for example, customized pages may be impacted, and settings may be lost as a result. To combat this, we advocate the use of child themes. To determine whether your theme is safe to update using child themes, follow the steps outlined in this tutorial. FAQs about installing WordPress themes In the event that you’re having problems installing a new theme, it’s likely that you’ve already installed the theme, or that you’ve installed the theme but haven’t activated it yet. Once your theme has been installed, all you have to do is click the Activate link to have it applied to your website. How to uninstall a WordPress theme?
- 30.2 Can I create a WordPress theme?
- 30.3 What is a child theme in WordPress?
- 30.4 Which theme is best for my WordPress site?
- 30.5 What is the fastest WordPress theme?
- 30.6 What WordPress theme is that? How can I use it?
- 30.7 Why doesn’t my theme look like the demo?
- 30.8 You may also like
How do I manually install a WordPress theme?
Installing a WordPress Theme Through the Theme Directory
- Log in to your WordPress account.
- Navigate to Appearance > Themes.
- On the Themes page, select Add New at the top of the page.
- Choose a theme.
- Click Download to begin the installation process.
- Click Activate once complete.
How do I install a downloaded WordPress theme?
- Download the theme’s. zip file.
- Go to Appearance → Themes in your site’s dashboard.
- Click the Install Theme button in the top right corner.
- Preview or activate the theme.
How do I upload a theme to WordPress?
Go to WordPress Admin Panel > Pages > Add New. You can see the new custom page template listed on the right side. Create a new page and set its template to PageWithoutSidebar. Once done, Publish it.
How can I customize my WordPress theme?
To start customizing your WordPress theme, go to Appearance > Themes. On this page, locate the active theme (Twenty Nineteen in our case) and click on Customize next to its title. On the page that opens, you can modify your WordPress theme in real time.
How do I install a zip theme in WordPress?
How to Install a WordPress Theme from a Zip File
- Backup your website (before any major change to your site)!
- In WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance | Themes.
- Click on “Add New”
- Click on “upload” [10/20/16: “Upload Theme”].
- Click on “Install Now”.
- Theme should install successfully.
Can’t install Themes WordPress?
So, here are the most common reasons why your WordPress plugin or theme won’t install and what to do about them:
- The Wrong File Format Was Uploaded.
- Files Are Missing from the Zip.
- There’s a Syntax Error.
- The Wrong Zip Was Uploaded.
- Memory Limits Are Exceeded.
- File Size Limits Are Exceeded.
- You Don’t Understand the Error.
How do I download a WordPress theme from a live site?
How to clone a WordPress website using Duplicator (in four simple steps)
- Step 1: Create a copy of your site and download it.
- Step 2: Upload the copy of your site to your server.
- Step 3: Set up a database for your website’s clone.
- Step 4: Run the Duplicator installer and finish the cloning process.
Can you install Themes on free WordPress?
You cannot upload any custom themes or third party themes or create your own theme here. You can do that only on wordpress.ORG installs on paid hosting. There is no upgrade you can buy here that changes that.
How do I create a WordPress theme template?
A Step-By-Step Guide To Creating Custom Page Templates
- Find The Default Template. A good way is to start by copying the template which is currently used by the page you want to modify.
- Copy And Rename The Template File.
- Customize The Template File Header.
- Customize The Code.
- Upload The Page Template.
- Activate The Template.
How do I display custom post type in WordPress?
First, you can simply go to Appearance » Menus and add a custom link to your menu. This custom link is the link to your custom post type. Don’t forget to replace example.com with your own domain name and movies with your custom post type name.
Where can I get free WordPress Themes?
So, without further ado, keep reading to learn more about the best free WordPress themes on the market.
- Sydney. The Sydney theme is designed for companies and freelancers who want to present a strong online presence.
How do I edit a WordPress theme without coding?
Fortunately, there’s a way to do it without coding. WordPress plugin repository offers lots of tools and plugins you can use to customize your theme without coding. Use Plugins
- Beaver Themer for Beaver Builder.
- Divi Builder.
- Ultimate Tweaker.
- Microthemer WordPress CSS Editor.
- Headway Themes.
How do I edit a WordPress theme without activating it?
Another option is to use the Theme Switcha plugin. It allows you to preview your new theme without activating it. First, you need to install and activate this free plugin. Next, go to Settings » Theme Switcha from the left sidebar of your admin panel.
Beginners Guide: How to Install a WordPress Theme
Do you want to learn how to install a WordPress theme? There are tens of thousands of WordPress themes to choose from (both free and paid). As a newbie, you may want to experiment with a few different ones on your website until you discover the one that works best for you. Throughout this beginner’s tutorial, we’ll provide extensive step-by-step directions on how to install a WordPress theme on your website. Three distinct methods of installing a WordPress theme will be covered, allowing you to select the one that works best for you.
Before You Install a WordPress Theme
Installing a WordPress theme is simple, but bear in mind that if you activate a new theme, the appearance and functionality of your website will be altered significantly. If you’re moving from an existing theme, you might want to have a look at our checklist of things you should do before changing WordPress themes before you get started. It is not necessary to do anything special if you are installing a WordPress theme on a new website. Bonus Tip: Take a look at our list of the greatest and most popular WordPress themes for inspiration.
Subscribe to WPBeginner’s newsletter. Please continue reading if you are dissatisfied with the video or want more detailed instructions.
Install a Theme using WordPress Admin Theme Search
Become a member of WPBeginner.com Please continue reading if you are dissatisfied with the video or want further information.
Install a Theme by using the Upload Method from WordPress Admin
It is only possible to install free themes that are accessible in the WordPress.org theme directory using the first technique that we discussed. What if you want to install a premium WordPress theme from a company like StudioPress, Elegant Themes, Themify, or another such one? What if you wish to put a custom theme on your website? In this situation, you would need to upload the theme from your WordPress admin panel in order to complete the installation process. To begin, download the.zip file of the theme that you purchased from a marketplace or a professional theme shop and extract the contents of the file.
- This will lead you to the page where you may add a new theme, which will show you some of the most popular free themes.
- During the installation process, you will be asked to select the zip file that you downloaded previously.
- Once your theme has been successfully installed, you will be presented with a success message and a link to activate and preview the theme.
- Additional settings options may be added by the theme, which you may change either using the theme customizer or through a separate options panel, depending on the theme.
- In the event that you are using WordPress.com, you will not see this option because it restricts your options.
In this post, we explain the difference between Self HostedWordPress.org and WordPress.com (see also this article). For information on how to migrate from WordPress.com to WordPress.org, please see our guide on how to correctly migrate from WordPress.com to WordPress.org (in English).
Installing a WordPress Theme using FTP
The use of FTP to install WordPress themes may be a rewarding and challenging experience if you’re feeling daring and want to push your abilities to the limit. Keep in mind that this is not for actual beginners because it is a little more sophisticated in nature. On begin, you must first download and save the theme zip file to your computer. After that, you must extract the contents of the zip file. This will create a new folder on your computer with the name of the theme in it. We made use of the popularDivi premium theme that was available for download.
- You’ll need to use an FTP program to connect to your website’s /WordPress hosting account in order to accomplish this.
- Once you have joined, navigate to the /wp-content/themes/ directory.
- Select the unzipped theme folder from your computer’s hard drive and then upload it to your website’s hosting account.
- You should be able to find the theme that you submitted in this section.
FAQs About Installing WordPress Themes
It’s possible to learn how to install WordPress themes via FTP if you’re feeling brave and want to push your abilities to the next level. Always keep in mind that this is not intended for complete novices because it is a little more complex in nature. Downloading the theme zip file to your computer is the first step in the process. After that, you must extract the contents of the zip archive. A new folder named after the theme will be created on your computer as a result of this operation. We made use of the popularDivi premium theme that was available to download for a fee.
- A file transfer protocol (FTP) client will be required for this purpose in order to connect to your website /WordPress hostingaccount.
- Once you’ve connected, navigate to the /wp-content/themes/ folder to begin customizing your theme.
- – Select the theme folder from your computer’s unzipped contents and then upload it to your website.
- There should be a listing for the theme that you submitted.
How to Install a WordPress Theme (3 Easy Methods)
WordPress is the most extensively used Content Management System (CMS) in the world for the development of self-hosted websites. It’s likely that, if you haven’t already, you’ve made the decision to utilize WordPress for your own website. Do you, on the other hand, know how to install a WordPress theme? There are several ways to add WordPress themes to your website, and understanding how to do so is not difficult at all, no matter which technique you select —and there are plenty! That is, after your theme has been installed, you will be able to begin developing your unique website as soon as it is completed.
In today’s post, we’ll take a closer look at how to install a WordPress theme from the ground up. We’ll go through the following topics in detail: Let’s get this party started!
Prefer to watch thevideo version?
Getting the hang of how to install a WordPress theme on your website isn’t difficult to learn. What is difficult, however, is selecting the most appropriate theme for your requirements. Let’s take a brief look at where you can obtain WordPress themes before we get into the specifics of what you’ll need to do so effectively. At the moment, the WordPress Repository is one of the most popular locations to find trustworthy and free plugins and themes to enhance the appearance and functionality of your WordPress website.
In addition, there are thousands of free and paid WordPress themes available for download through markets such as the MOJO Marketplace, CSS Igniter, and StudioPress, which may be found here.
How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme
It’s not difficult to figure out how to install a WordPress theme on your website. Selecting the most appropriate theme for your requirements, on the other hand, is a challenge. Let’s take a brief look at where you can obtain WordPress themes before we get into the specifics of what you’ll need to accomplish your goal. Today, the WordPress Repository is one of the most popular locations to obtain dependable and free pluginsandthemes that can be used to enhance the appearance and functionality of a WordPress website.
There are also dozens of free and paid themes available for WordPress users, which can be found in markets such as the MOJO Marketplace, CSS Igniter, and StudioPress, among other locations.
1. Decide Between a Free or Premium WordPress Theme
The discussion over whether to choose a free or premium WordPress theme has been going on for quite some time. This makes deciding whether to save your money and use a free theme or whether to invest a small bit of money and get the benefits of a premium theme difficult. If you come across a WordPress site that has a theme that you like, you can use ourtheme detector tool to figure out which theme is being used on that site. Although it ultimately comes down to your financial situation, there are a few factors to consider before making a final decision:
Pros of Using a Free WordPress Theme
There are several benefits to using a free WordPress theme, including the following:
- They’re completely free to use, which means that if you don’t like it and decide to change your WordPress theme, you won’t have spent any money on it. Having passed a rigorous evaluation procedure, the free WordPress themes available in the WordPress Repository have been formally authorized
- All of the free themes available at WordPress.org will be compatible with all of the free plugins available at the same location.
Having said that, there are certain downsides to using free themes. To give you an example, they often have a restricted feature set, are widely utilized (which makes creating an own website difficult), and there is little to no timely help when there are difficulties. Not to mention that free themes obtained from sources other than the WordPress Repository may be improperly written, exposing your site to vulnerabilities and malicious attacks.
Pros of Using a Premium WordPress Theme
Premium themes, like free themes, have a number of advantages above their free counterparts. These advantages include:
- A premium theme offers a number of advantages that are similar to those provided by a free theme.
Premium themes, on the other hand, are not free. The payment for certain premium themes is made on an annual basis, while others are made in one lump sum. This implies that if you purchase one and subsequently decide to change your mind, you will be out the money you invested.
2. Know Your Niche
It is necessary to pay for premium themes, though. One-time payments are required for some premium themes, while annual payments are necessary for others. This implies that if you purchase one and subsequently decide to change your mind, you will be out the money you spent on that purchase.
3. Use Credible Sources
Anyone who is capable of creating a WordPress theme and making a profit from it will do so. But the fact is that just because someone has designed a WordPress theme does not imply that it is free of malicious code, viruses, or even spam link generators. If you’ve made the decision to choose a free WordPress theme, the WordPress Repository is the ideal location to start your search. If you require a premium theme or wish to make use of a free theme provided by a third-party theme business, look for the following characteristics:
- Popularity of the author, frequency of updates, positive customer feedback, and total number of sales
Finally, it doesn’t matter what kind of WordPress theme you require in the end. Really, the most important thing is to avoid utilizing nulled WordPress themes in order to avoid future problems with site security, downtime, and lost site traffic.
4. Keep It Simple
With the popularity of popular multipurpose WordPress themes such as Avada and X, it’s easy to get caught up in their allure. And while these themes may offer the functionality and design that some people want, the fact is that sometimes the simplest solution is the best one. This is particularly true for individuals who are just getting started. Multipurpose themes can sometimes have an excessive number of features, a steep learning curve, and a negative impact on the speed and efficiency of your website.
5. Look for Responsive Design
Responsive design, which should not be mistaken with mobile-friendly design, is essential for providing your mobile site users with an amazing user experience. Using a mobile-friendly WordPress theme ensures that your website will seem the same no matter what device your site visitor uses to view it. This ensures that the site visitor can simply view and browse around your site’s content as well as click the CTA buttons that you want them to click. The elements on your website will not change, regardless of the device or screen size used to view your site, so don’t worry about that!
Google’s mobile-friendliness assessment Having a WordPress theme with responsive design, on the other hand, implies that when your site visitors access your website using a mobile device, your website will automatically change to the screen size.
Use the free Responsive Checker tool to ensure that your website is mobile-friendly: Adaptive Checker is a program that checks for responsiveness.
Also available is the ability to navigate the site as if you were really accessing it from a mobile device, allowing you to ensure that your site appears and performs the way you intend it to for site visitors.
6. Evaluate the Theme Support
It’s possible that you’ll want assistance when utilizing your WordPress theme at some point. It is therefore critical to be able to communicate with the theme creator or their support staff. Before you choose a WordPress theme, find out what type of customer service is available to you. And keep in mind that the majority of free WordPress themes come with very little, if any, support.
7. Consider the Features
Finally, you should take into consideration the features that are included with your WordPress theme. Some of the most important characteristics to look for in any theme, whether it is free or paid, are as follows:
- Sharing on social media platforms
- Built-in search engine optimization
- Cross-browser compatibility is important. WordPress page builders that are included for simpler site construction
- Compatibility with popular WordPress plugins
- This product is multilingual and translation ready. Support for e-commerce
Of course, each individual’s website will require a unique set of features. However, the considerations listed above will assist you in guiding you in the proper way and assisting you in making a decision. Allow us to look at how to install a WordPress theme into your website after you’ve found the one you like the appearance of.
How to Install a Free WordPress Theme
Using a theme from the WordPress Repository on your website is the simplest way to accomplish this. The most straightforward method is through the website’s backend.
Want to know how we increased our traffic over 1000%?
Join over 20,000 other people who receive our monthly email, which contains insider WordPress advice! Now is the time to subscribe. To begin, go into your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes in the WordPress dashboard, where you will click on Add New to create a new theme. Adding a new WordPress theme to your website You may then filter the results based on the criteria listed below: Results for the topic can be filtered Alternatively, you can use theFeature Filterbutton to narrow down the theme results to to those that have particular features.
further details regarding the theme may be found at If you want to see a demonstration of the theme in action, click Preview; if you want to install the theme on your WordPress site, click Install: A WordPress theme may be previewed or installed.
Then, to see how your site will appear with the theme, click on the Live Preview button first.
Once you’ve chosen your selection, click Activate to complete the process of adding it to your website.
How to Install a Premium WordPress Theme
To install a premium WordPress theme that you’ve purchased, you’ll need to use the upload option available from your WordPress dashboard. To begin, download the theme that you purchased from the theme marketplace or company that you got it from (if applicable). Save the zip file that was downloaded to your PC. After that, go onto your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes in the WordPress dashboard, where you will click Add a new item: Adding a new WordPress theme to your website To complete the upload process, clickUpload Themeto and choose the zip file containing your premium WordPress theme that you downloaded earlier from your computer: WordPress has a function that allows you to upload a theme.
- To choose a zip file from your computer, clickBrowset and select the file from your computer.
- Then, to include the theme into your website, clickInstall Now.
- WordPress will take care of installing your premium theme on your site.
- Finally, click Activate to make the theme ready to be used on your website, if necessary.
If you need to import a theme from ThemeForest, this method will work as well. Simply open the zip file that has been stored on your computer and follow the same instructions as described previously.
How to Install a WordPress Theme Using FTP
Last but not least, we’ll teach you how to transfer computer files using FTP (file transfer protocol), which is a common network protocol that is used to transmit computer files between clients and servers connected to a computer network. In other terms, an FTP server facilitates the transfer of data between your computer and the servers hosting your website. There are a variety of FTP clients available, but we’ll be using FileZilla, which can be downloaded and installed on your computer in minutes.
Take note, though, that this is a more complicated method of installing a WordPress theme on your website and is not suggested for novices.
Step 1: Secure FTP/SFTP Credentials
Last but not least, we’ll teach you how to transfer computer files using FTP (file transfer protocol), which is a common network protocol that is used to move computer files from one computer to another through a computer network. A file transfer protocol, or FTP, is a method of transferring data between your computer and the servers that host your web site. There are a variety of FTP clients available, but we’ll be usingFileZilla, which can be downloaded and installed on your computer in minutes.
Take note, however, that this is a more complicated method of installing a WordPress theme on your website and is not suggested for novices to attempt.
Step 2: Enter Credentials into FileZilla
After you’ve located your FTP/SFTP credentials, use FileZilla to view them. The following is the information that you will be required to enter:
- To host, log in to your MyKinsta dashboard (or use your site’s IP address prefixed by “sftp:/” if you’re using another web hosting service). You may get your user name from your MyKinsta dashboard. The password is obtained through your MyKinsta dashboard. The port number is obtained from your MyKinsta dashboard.
At the top of the FileZilla screen, you will see something similar to the following: Using Secure FTP (SFTP) in FileZilla Click Quickconnect once you’ve finished entering your credentials. FileZilla will next establish a connection with the servers hosting your website.
Step 3: Upload WordPress Theme Files
After you’ve established a connection to your FTP server, you may proceed to installing a WordPress theme on your website. Please keep in mind that the left-hand side of FileZilla is where you will gain access to your computer’s files, and the right-hand side of FileZilla is where you will gain access to the files for your website that are kept on your host’s servers. To access the files on your site, navigate through the folders in the right-side panel until you locate the one labeledThemes: WordPress themes folder.
As soon as you do this, any WordPress themes that have previously been installed on your website will show beneath the file directory structure.
Once you’ve located it, right-click on it and selectUpload: Uploading WordPress theme through FTP from the context menu.
Last but not least, go into your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes (or similar).
Installing a new theme is always a critical step in the process! Learn three distinct approaches you may use with this step-by-step lesson to give your website a fresh new design in minutes. To send a tweet, simply click here.
In order to utilize WordPress as your Content Management System, you’ll need to know how to install a WordPress theme on your web server. And it’s likely that you’ll browse through a number of WordPress themes before finding one that you like and that includes all of the features you want. Fortunately for you, not only are there a variety of options for installing WordPress themes to select from, but all of them are also reasonably simple, even for rookie website owners:
- The installation of WordPress themes is required if you intend to utilize WordPress as your Content Management System. There is a good likelihood, too, that you will browse through a number of WordPress themes before settling on one that is both attractive and functional. Because of this, you have a variety of options for installing WordPress themes, all of which are pretty simple, even for inexperienced website owners. These are the options you have:
Do some study and you’ll be able to choose the ideal WordPress theme for your blog, online company, or ecommerce store. Then, install it on your WordPress site so that you can begin creating a website that is unique to your company and expresses your brand. Save time and money while improving the overall speed of your site by implementing:
- Instant assistance from WordPress hosting professionals, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Integration of Cloudflare Enterprise Edition
- With 29 data centers across the world, you can access a global audience. Application Performance Monitoring (APM) is embedded into our platform, allowing for optimization.
That and much more is included in a single plan that includes no long-term obligations, aided migrations, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, among other things. Check out our options or speak with a sales representative to select the plan that is suitable for you.
That and much more is included in a single package that includes no long-term obligations, supported migrations, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, among other benefits. To choose the plan that is suitable for you, go through our plans or speak with sales.
Default ThemesDefault Themes
WordPress now comes with twelve different themes, including the basic theme. The Twenty Twenty Two theme (demo) as well as the previous defaults are included. Twenty Twenty One is the topic for this year (demo) Two hundred and twenty (demo), nineteen hundred and nineteen (demo), twenty seventeen (demo), twenty sixteen (demo), twenty fifteen (demo), twenty fourteen (demo), twenty thirteen (demo), twenty ten (demo), twenty ten (demo), twenty ten (demo), and twenty ten (demo) (demo). The Twenty Twenty Two theme is the first defaultblock theme in the history of WordPress.
IMPORTANT: All basic themes now have block patterns, which allow you to quickly and simply construct visually appealing layouts.
When you are in the Administration Screen, go to the Appearance option and select a different theme.
Themes Administration Screen – Themes that have been installed a b c d
Get New ThemesGet New Themes
TheWordPress Theme Directoryis the official site for WordPress Themes and is maintained by Automattic. Everything in this directory has been vetted and tested by a specialized staff against a wide number of regulations, all of which are aimed at providing the theme user with a safe and enjoyable experience on the site. With over 9,000 themes in the directory, you can simply select the correct one for your site using the comprehensive search option, which includes filters for layout, subject, and individual theme’s characteristics.
This includes themes like as findingBlock, which offer the complete range of site editing options.
If you want more information than a screenshot and a list of features to determine whether or not a theme meets your requirements, you may watch the demo for the theme using thePreviewfeature on the theme’s information page. Theme Information PageTop
Adding New ThemesAdding New Themes
The majority of themes in the WordPress Theme Directory provide installation instructions, particularly for those that may need more steps than the standard theme installation process. Make care to go through and follow all of the instructions to ensure a successful installation of the Theme. – If your Theme does not function properly after you have followed all of the offered instructions, please contact the Theme author for assistance. a b c d
Adding Block themesAdding Block themes
A block theme is a theme that makes extensive use of blocks for all aspects of a website, including navigation menus, headers, content, and the site footer. Each of these themes has been designed to work with the latest WordPress capabilities, which allow you to alter and adjust any aspect of your site. For the time being, block themes may be added in the same way that any other theme would be. However, the Live Sample option has been deleted, which means that if you want to preview the theme, you will need to first set up a test site to explore it before activating the theme.
Before you can start customizing a block theme, you’ll need to first activate it.
a b c d
Adding New Themes using the Administration ScreensAdding New Themes using the Administration Screens
By selecting theAdd New option in the Appearance sub-menu, you may download any theme from the WordPress Theme Directory and install it straight on your site.
- Obtaining access to the WordPress Administration Screens
- Choose Appearance from the drop-down menu, followed by Themes. Add a new entry by selectingAdd New. Either use theSearchorFilter options to identify a Theme that you would want to utilize, or create a new Theme from scratch. Simply click on thePreviewlink to see a preview of the Theme, or on theInstalllink to have it uploaded to your site. Take note of the fact that
- If you have already downloaded a zipped copy of a Theme to your computer, you may upload it by clicking on the Upload Themebutton at the top of the page.
When you have already downloaded and installed the theme but have not yet activated it, the Live Previewoption will provide you with a sample of your site with your own, existing content. a b c d
Adding New Themes by using cPanelAdding New Themes by using cPanel
If your web server has thecPanelcontrol panel, you may upload the Theme files to your site by using theUploadoption in thecPanelcontrol panel. This will need the use of Theme files in a compressed bundle (.zipor.gz).
- Download the Theme.zip file to your computer and then browse to the Themes folder in the IncPanel File Manager. Depending on your hosting provider, the location of the Themes folder may vary somewhat, but in general, you are searching for public htmlinside, which you can find at /wp-content/themes/
- Click onUploadwhen you’re within theThemes folder in the cPanel File Manager, and then browse to and upload the.zip file you saved in Step 1. Once the.zip file has been uploaded, right-click on the name of the file in cPanel and selectExtract from the context menu to begin the extraction process. If you were successful in extracting the Theme files, please follow the procedures below to activate your new Theme.
Navigate to yourThemes folder using the IncPanel File Manager after downloading the Theme.zipfile. Depending on your hosting provider, the location of the Themes folder may vary somewhat, but in general, you are searching for public htmlinside, which you can find at /wp-content/themes/; and In the cPanel File Manager, navigate to the Themes folder and click onUpload to upload the.zip file you saved in Step 1. Once the.zip file has been uploaded, right-click on the name of the file in cPanel and selectExtract from the context menu to begin the extraction process; In order to activate a new theme after the theme files have been properly extracted, follow the steps outlined below:
Adding New Themes Manually (FTP)Adding New Themes Manually (FTP)
To add a new Theme to your WordPress installation via the FTP protocol, you’ll need an FTP client as well as the theme files that were extracted before.
- Download the Theme archive (.zip) and unzip the contents it contains to a convenient location. A folder titled theme itself should be created, which will hold all of the theme files. Using an FTP program to connect to your web host’s server and browse to the /wp-content/themes/directory
- Alternatively, upload the Theme folder to this directory on your host server. To activate the new Theme, please follow the steps outlined below.
Activating the ThemeActivating the Theme
Now that the new Theme has been uploaded to the /wp-content/themes/directory (whether you did it using the Administration Screens, cPanel, or FTP method), it is ready to be activated. Whilst all of the themes included inside the wp-content/themes/directory are accessible for activation and updating (when an update is supplied by the theme creator), only one theme from this directory may be activated at a given time. When a theme is activated, it implies that the style and functionality (both in terms of appearance and behavior) of that theme will be applied to your site.
The successful activation of the Theme will be communicated to you via an Administration notice. Notice of a Theme that has been activated To make a Theme active on your website, follow these steps:
- Obtaining access to the WordPress Administration Screens
- Choose Appearance from the drop-down menu, followed by Themes. You should be able to view all of the themes in your /wp-content/themes/directory, and you can get more information about each of them by clicking on Theme Details (which appears when you hover your mouse over the Theme thumbnail). The Live Preview option will provide you with a live preview of your site, complete with your site’s content. To make the theme active, click on theActivatebutton.
Your option will become active as soon as you make it. Note: If the Theme preview is blank, do NOT activate the new Theme until you have completed your investigation. If this is not the case, your website may not appear correctly. A damaged or faulty new Theme may prevent you from seeing the thumbnail of your new Theme in any way. Look underneath the thumbnails of the installed themes to see if there is any information regarding broken themes. In this situation, you should contact the theme’s author for assistance.
Creating ThemesCreating Themes
Review the material on Theme Development if you are interested in developing your own Theme for release or learning more about how Themes are built. If you merely want to alter your existing Theme for your own purposes, you may consider developing aChild Theme for that purpose. You are more than welcome to join theThemes Team and its dedicated themereviewSlack channel, regardless of your situation. In that channel, you may seek for assistance in producing themes for theWordPress Theme Directory or even begin evaluating themes for theWordPress Theme Directory yourself.
Upload a Theme to WordPress.com
Apart from our own themes, you may also upload third-party themes to any WordPress.com site that has aBusiness or Ecommerceplan activated. Themes from WordPress.org, themes from famous marketplaces such as Themeforest, and even themes that you have created specifically for your website are examples of third-party themes. You will learn how to upload any theme to your WordPress.com website in this tutorial. The following is a table of contents:
These are the procedures to take in order to upload your theme:
- Download the theme’s.zip file and unzip it. Access Appearance Themes from the dashboard of your website. Select Install Theme from the drop-down menu in the upper right corner. The theme can be previewed or activated.
Continue reading this tutorial for additional information on the specific stages. ↑ Section I: Table of Contents
Download the Theme.zip File
The first step is to download the theme’s.zip file from the location where you purchased the theme. Do not attempt to unzip the file.
- When using themes from WordPress.org, clicking Download on any theme will save the.zip file to your computer
- When using themes from other sources, click Download on any theme will save the.zip file to your computer
- It is best to store your custom theme in a.zip file if you developed it yourself (or had a developer design it for you). When downloading themes purchased from Themeforest or Envato, you must select theInstallable WordPress file only option when downloading the theme:
If you’re using a Themeforest theme, select simply the Installable WordPress file option. Section I: Table of Contents
Upload the Theme File
As soon as you have downloaded the theme’s.zip file, you should follow the instructions below to upload it to your WordPress site:
- ClickInstall Theme: under the Appearance Themes section of your website’s dashboard.
- Drag and drop the theme’s.zip file into the box to install it. If you want, you may also click on the box, navigate to the theme’s.zip file on your computer, and double-click to include it.
Make a theme selection. ” data-image-caption=”” data-medium-file=” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” alt=”When you click Install Theme, you can either click the box to upload the file or drag it into the part that saysDrop files or click here to upload.”>Table of Contents
Preview or Activate the Theme
In order to begin using the theme immediately, clickActivate:upload theme activate” data-image-caption=”” data-medium-file=” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” alt=”upload theme activate” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” src=” alt=”upload theme activate”> To see a live preview of the theme before activating it, selectTryCustomizefrom the drop-down menu.
You may make some changes to the theme’s settings here before putting the theme into action on your site. When you’re through making adjustments to the options and are ready to activate the theme, click SaveActivate. ↑ Section I: Table of Contents
Set Up Your Theme
After you’ve activated a theme on your website, you’ll want to customize it so that it looks precisely the way you want it to. Every theme is unique, however the following general guidelines can assist you in getting started:
- As soon as you’ve activated a theme on your website, you’ll want to customize it so that it looks precisely the way you want it to. Although each theme is unique, the following general guidelines can assist you in getting started:
If you are using a theme that was not created by WordPress.com, we are unable to provide you with any assistance. We propose that you get in touch with the theme’s customer service. They will be the most knowledgeable about the topic and will be able to provide professional assistance. ↑ Section I: Table of Contents
Where to Find Themes
Please be aware that we are unable to assist you if you are using a theme that was not developed by WordPress.com itself. You should contact the theme’s support service, which we suggest. They will be the most knowledgeable about the subject and will be able to provide professional assistance. ↑ The following are the contents of the table of contents
- Templatemonster, thebestdesigns.com/themes, colorlib.com/free-wordpress-themes/, thebestdesigns.com/themes/, mojomarketplace.com/themes/wordpress, elegantthemes, themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/, rockettheme.com/wordpress/themes, themify.me, themeforest.net, themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/, themify.me
They are: themeforest.net; templatemonster.com; thebestdesigns.com/themes; colorlib.com/wp/free-wordpress-themes/; thebestdesigns.com/themes/; mojomarketplace.com/wordpress themes; elegantthemes.com; themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/; rockettheme.com/wordpress/themes; themify.me; themeforest.net; templatemonster.com
How to Install WordPress Themes: Quick & Easy Tutorial
Themeforest.net; templatemonster.com; thebestdesigns.com/themes/; colorlib.com/wp/free-wordpress-themes/; thebestdesigns.com/themes/; mojomarketplace.com/themes/wordpress; elegantthemes.com; themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/; rockettheme.com/wordpress/themes; themify.me
Using the WordPress themes directory
If you haven’t chosen a theme yet, you may do so by visiting the WordPress theme directory. It contains official WordPress themes, which have been reviewed and examined in accordance with the WordPress theme standards. They are also available for no cost to download. In the WordPress theme directory, there are hundreds of themes to choose from; this is where the WordPress theme search tool comes in helpful. If you know the name or style of the theme you desire, you may search for it using the theme search box.
You have the option of selecting your desired layout type, the functionality you want, and the subject matter of your website.
You might wish to go through the themes listed under the sections Featured Themes, Most Popular Themes, and the Most Recent Additions to the directory for inspiration.
There is additional assistance available with subscription services, and they are completely compatible with the WordPress General Public License.
Where to find WordPress themes (free and paid)
The most difficult aspect of using themes is not installing them, but rather selecting the most appropriate one for your needs.
There are tens of thousands of options, both paid and free, as well as a plethora of visually appealing designs. If you don’t already have a theme in mind, let’s have a look at some resources to help you pick one.
Choose a theme from the Official WordPress theme directory (free)
If you haven’t chosen a theme yet, you may do so by visiting the WordPress theme directory. It contains official WordPress themes that have been vetted and examined in accordance with the WordPress theme rules, among other things. They are also available for no cost to download. In the WordPress theme directory, there are hundreds of themes to choose from; this is where the WordPress theme search tool comes in helpful. If you know the name or style of the theme you desire, you may search for it using the theme search box.
You have the option of selecting your desired layout type, the functionality you want, and the subject matter of your website.
You might wish to go through the themes listed under the sections Featured Themes, Most Popular Themes, and Newest Additions to the directory for ideas.
There is additional help available through commercial services, and they are completely compatible with the WordPress General Public License.
Paid theme from a theme marketplace
When we discussed the possibility of using a premium or third-party theme, we said that It is popular to utilize premium themes since they provide advantages that are not available in free versions. Consider the following: enhanced support, more regular updates, and additional features. Premium WordPress themes may be found on marketplaces such as Themeforest, Css Igniter, and StudioPress, which cater to professional designers. This section will explain how to obtain any theme that is not mentioned in the WordPress.org directory.
WordPress theme install
Installing and activating themes is required before you can use them to enhance the appearance of your website. There are a variety of approaches that may be used to accomplish this. The quickest and most straightforward method is to do it directly from within WordPress administration.