6 Best Places to Hire WordPress Developers
- Codeable. Codeable is the #1 outsourcing platform for WordPress related work.
- Toptal. Toptal is an exclusive network of the top freelance software developers, designers, and finance experts in the world.
- WordPress Jobs.
- 1 How much does it cost to hire a WordPress developer?
- 2 What should I look for when hiring a WordPress developer?
- 3 Why should I hire a WordPress developer?
- 4 What is salary of WordPress developer?
- 5 Do WordPress developers make money?
- 6 What should I ask a WordPress developer?
- 7 How do I land a WordPress job?
- 8 How do WordPress developers get clients?
- 9 Is being a WordPress developer worth it?
- 10 Why PHP developers are paid less?
- 11 Can you make a living as a WordPress developer?
- 12 What should I look for in a WordPress designer?
- 13 Why should you be hired for this role?
- 14 A Guide to Hiring a WordPress Developer
- 15 Getting started: scoping your project
- 16 Where to hire a WordPress developer
- 17 Sorting through applications from developers
- 18 Choosing your developer
- 19 Writing a contract
- 20 Once the project has started
- 21 Wrapping up
- 22 10 Steps to Hire a WordPress Developer the Right Way
- 23 What is a WordPress developer?
- 24 Reasons to Hire a WordPress Developer
- 25 The challenge of hiring a WordPress developer
- 26 Where to find the best WordPress developers to hire
- 27 How to find and hire the best WordPress developer for your business
- 27.1 2. Don’t discount WordPress developers who charge low rates for their services.
- 27.2 3. Have a project brief ready.
- 27.3 4. Consider a flat rate instead of an hourly rate.
- 27.4 5. Check out the websites of the WordPress developers you’re considering.
- 27.5 6. Take time to review their online portfolio or case studies.
- 27.6 7. Look at testimonials.
- 27.7 8. Schedule them for an interview.
- 27.8 9. Take them out for a test drive.
- 27.9 10. Get everything on paper.
- 28 Preparation and careful research are crucial to hire the best WordPress developer.
- 29 Where and How to Hire a WordPress Developer
- 30 Trusted Sources to Find and Hire WordPress Developers
- 31 WordPress Maintenance Companies
- 32 How to Hire a Top Quality WordPress Developer (5 Steps)
- 33 Conclusion
How much does it cost to hire a WordPress developer?
Rates charged by WordPress developers on Upwork vary from $15 to $40+ an hour. Developers don’t always bill hourly; it can be common for a WordPress developer to set a fixed price for your site, based on your project requirements and what level of (or, lack of) customization you need.
What should I look for when hiring a WordPress developer?
How to find and hire the best WordPress developer for your business
- Assess whether you need to hire a WordPress developer.
- Don’t discount WordPress developers who charge low rates for their services.
- Have a project brief ready.
- Consider a flat rate instead of an hourly rate.
Why should I hire a WordPress developer?
Advantages of hiring a WordPress developer Your developer (if they’re good) will know how to get the most out of the platform, which means maximizing your site’s performance, security, and so on. You’ll have someone you can reach out to for help with technical tasks, updates, bug fixing, and more.
What is salary of WordPress developer?
For freshers looking for entry-level WordPress developer positions, the salary, to begin with, will be around ₹300,000 per year. For those with even more experience, those at the senior WordPress Developer position, the salary range is around ₹1,000,000 per year.
Do WordPress developers make money?
As of December 4, 2019, the average WordPress developer salary in the United States – as estimated from 310 employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months – is $58,254 per year. This represents a range from about $14,000 up to $137,000 per year.
What should I ask a WordPress developer?
Absolutely Necessary Questions to ask a WordPress Developer
- How many years of experience do you have in developing WordPress solutions?
- What do you expect me to provide?
- What is the cost of development?
- Will you create a new theme or use an existing one for my website development?
How do I land a WordPress job?
How to Land a Job in WordPress in 5 Steps
- Identify Your WordPress Career Options.
- Develop and Hone the Proper WordPress Skills.
- Find Job Opportunities.
- Negotiate Your Terms.
- Network and Build Meaningful Relationships.
How do WordPress developers get clients?
Here are 20 creative (and very interesting) ways our members have found new WordPress clients:
- 1) Make Connections Wherever You Go!
- 2) Agency Directory Listings.
- 3) Thought Leadership.
- 4) Physically Position Yourself in the Right Place.
- 5) Go Above and Beyond.
- 6) Craigslist.
- 7) Co-working Spaces.
- 8) Local Printers.
Is being a WordPress developer worth it?
Yes, WordPress still worth it to learn because it powering up more than 33% of all the websites on the internet with consistent growth, WordPress can easily boast of its bright and sustainable future. That also makes it a prime source of developer jobs.
Why PHP developers are paid less?
Developers who’s developing simple websites are less expensive. PHP is mostly used in smaller companies where the pay is generally lower. WordPress and the overall low barriers for new developers are likely to make more people call them selfs PHP developers even if they have very limited programming skills.
Can you make a living as a WordPress developer?
In this case, you can make money by offering your skills to set up WordPress websites. Whether you’re a WordPress designer or code developer, you will always find a client willing to pay for your services. Based on your skill level, you can charge an hourly rate or a flat project fee to your clients.
What should I look for in a WordPress designer?
How to Choose a Good WordPress Developer
- Look for a Real Person. Find and deal with a real person.
- Get Valid Contact Details.
- Ask for References.
- Check the Portfolio.
- Look for Different Skillset & Experience Besides WordPress.
- Transparency In Invoicing.
- Quick Response Time.
- Regular Tasks or Project Updates.
Why should you be hired for this role?
YOU can do the work and deliver exceptional results to the company. YOU will fit in beautifully and be a great addition to the team. YOU possess a combination of skills and experience that make you stand out. Hiring YOU will make him look smart and make his life easier.
A Guide to Hiring a WordPress Developer
Hiring a developer for the first time can be a difficult and time-consuming endeavor. It can be difficult to know where to look for developers, and if you are not a developer yourself, you may not be aware of the proper methods for vetting applicants. Apart from that, there’s the fact that it costs money (and you might not know how much to spend.), and you’ll want to be sure that the developer you engage completes your project correctly and on schedule. Phew! There is a great deal to ponder!
As a former position before joining MailPoet, I provided WordPress assistance to several businesses.
I’ve put together this guide to help you get started with locating and hiring a developer to assist you with your WordPress site in order to better understand how the process works.
What kind of email solutions should a WordPress developer propose?
Getting started: scoping your project
What type of project do you require the services of a WordPress developer for? Are you constructing a website from the ground up? Do you require a customized solution? If the latter is the case, are you bringing someone on board to pick up where another developer left off? Creating a comprehensive and complete project scope (also known as a project specification, or spec) is critical before beginning the process of finding a developer for your project or idea. You will be able to promote your project more precisely as a result, and you will be more likely to obtain applications from high-quality candidates.
- An summary of the project’s scope and objectives. What exactly do you require? Describe what your project entails in detail.
- The amount of pages that are included. If your project involves the development of a whole or partial website, take into consideration the amount of pages you’ll require and the content they’ll include. Pages such as About Us, Pricing, and Features are common building components of every website
- However, they are not required. Interactions with the user. Plan out how the user will interact with your website, starting with the initial page and on through each subsequent page. Cover every click and link, and don’t forget about the details. Functionality. Whether you want shopping carts, appointment forms, contact forms, or anything else, we can assist you with your requirements. Ensure that every piece of the puzzle is laid out for the potential developer to examine
- There are several special concerns. Is there anything special or exceptional about what you require? If it isn’t covered above, sketch it out here and include links to other websites that offer a function that is comparable to it.
Not every project necessitates the development of a whole new website; you may only require a simple update to an existing plugin, the implementation of DKIMSPF for your email marketing, or the aid of a copywriter to perfect your sales presentation. A more broad definition with specifics where needed is recommended in certain situations.
- An summary of the project’s scope and objectives. a paragraph or two describing what the project consists of
- The project has been broken down. Here’s where you go into the specifics of exactly what you want
- Make sure your description is thorough
- After all, no detail is too little. Timelines. What do you think you’re going to get? When do you anticipate it to arrive? Realize that deadlines are seldom perfect science, and that you, as a customer, must communicate with the freelancer just as much as the freelancer need communication from you.
Where to hire a WordPress developer
Now that you have your scope in hand, it’s time to begin looking for a developer. The websites listed below are some of my preferred resources for locating WordPress developers.
- Codeable has a manual screening process for all new candidates that join its platform. The job will be of high quality, and your happiness is assured. All development work is covered by a 28-day money-back guarantee. Prices range from $70 to $120 per hour
- Whatever the scope of the project, no matter how large or little, is welcomed
- Getting started is simple, with the typical project receiving bids in less than 10 minutes
- It is also cost-effective. The site includes a searchable directory of WordPress developers, which is arranged randomly since they have all already been validated
- This is a first for a directory of this type
Since 2012, Codeable has served as a marketplace for anyone looking to hire WordPress developers. From personal experience, I can attest that the developers you’ll discover are well worth the money they charge, with hourly rates beginning at $70/hour. The Codeable platform puts all of its freelancers through a rigorous selection procedure (only 2 percent of applicants are accepted) before enabling them to work on the site.
Developers are then required to maintain a certain minimum number of positive ratings in order to remain on the platform. Please note that the primary link above is an affiliate link. Therefore was added after we finished writing this post, and it has no bearing on our overall recommendations.
- There are more than 76,000 WordPress developers available for hiring. Rates start at $30 per hour
- It doesn’t matter what big the project is, from tiny to enormous. There is a searchable database of freelance developers for hiring that can be sorted by rating
- Employers should use cautious when hiring and should do thorough background checks on candidates.
In less than 30 minutes, you can go from having an idea to hiring someone thanks to Upwork’s quick and straightforward process of posting a job and answering queries. One of the tools of Upwork that I particularly enjoy is the opportunity to create a list of interview questions. This allows you to ask candidates questions and know for certain whether or not the freelancers are truly reading the scope of your project. It’s a straightforward method of distinguishing between excellent developers who pay attention to detail and poor developers who are lazy.
- Although this is a UK-focused jobs website, you may post a position from anywhere in the globe
- Rates start at $20 per hour
- There are more than 10,000 WordPress developers available for hiring. A one-of-a-kind grading system that assesses community, engagement, repeat usage, and trust (sometimes known as CERT for short)
- There is a wide range of skillsets and competencies available for recruitment among the developers. hourly rates with a fixed fee for specified jobs
This board of directors from the United Kingdom has a surprising amount of diverse skill. It provides hundreds of SEO experts, designers, and developers, all of which specialize in WordPress development. Developers can be graded according to their delivery time, location, and hourly pricing (which ranges from $20 to $150 per hour). You may use the satisfaction rating and total number of projects done by the developer to help you decide the quality of developers you might wish to hire based on their profile information.
4. Facebook groups
- Incredibly diverse expertise is represented on this British advisory board. It provides hundreds of SEO experts, designers, and developers, all of whom work only for WordPress clients. Deliverability, locality, and hourly rate (ranging from $20 to $150) are all factors that may be considered when ranking developers. To assist you decide the quality of developers you might wish to hire, profiles provide a customer satisfaction rating as well as the total number of jobs they have completed. Dollars, euros, and pounds are used to express the price of the item.
Many and varied Facebook groups for WordPress developers exist, providing the ideal place and opportunity to advertise your project.Before posting, read the rules of each group carefully, as some have specific requirements for posting jobs, and some even disable comments.Some of the best WordPress developer groups include the following:
- Advanced WordPress
- WordPress Paid Gigs Only
- WooCommerce Help and Share
- WordPress Help and Share
5. Finding developers in your local community
Because to the WordPress Project, there is now a worldwide community of professional and hobby developers who meet in conferences like as WordCamps and in local Meetup groups. Develop- ers may share what they’ve learned, teach others, debate trends and best practices, and network with other developers at local meetups and conferences. Meetups in your area may be found on meetup.com or through your WordPress admin panel, respectively. These gatherings are often held once a month or once a quarter, with attendance ranging from 5 to 20 people.
WordCamps are annual gatherings held in towns or nations that draw hundreds of people to learn about and share open source software.
It’s possible to discover your next WordPress developer if you ask around.
Finally, every country has its own favored employment boards that it uses.
Sorting through applications from developers
After posting the ideal project scope and obtaining dozens of quotations, it’s time to begin filtering through your submissions to find the most promising ones. I propose that you start by removing candidates from your list who do not fit your standards (there will always be applicants who “have a go” but have not read the scope of your project).
This will save you time later on. After that, you may begin to cut down the serious applications to two or three solid developers for further review and consideration. I recommend that you analyze your top three applications in the following ways:
When it comes to hiring a developer, the sweet spot is between $50 and $60 per hour. It’s a reasonable fee for a high-quality developer of repute. Of course, you will obtain quotations ranging in price from $20/hour to $100/hour, depending on your needs. Choosing to employ a $100/hour WordPress developer means you should expect nothing less than someone at the top of their field. It is highly recommended that you avoid working with developers that charge less than $20 per hour. You should be aware of the quality of work they may give since their hourly cost just isn’t viable.
2. Inspect their portfolio
Developers should be able to offer you with a link to their web portfolio, which contains examples of their prior work. Here are just a few examples of what you should be searching for when shopping:
- Projects that are comparable to your own. What you really want to know is whether or not the developer is capable of generating what you’ve requested.
- Their degree of expertise. Even if it’s tough to tell, while working on a complicated project with a lot of features, it’s critical that the developer you choose has the necessary skills and expertise to complete it. If their portfolio consists primarily of simple websites with minimal functionality, it is likely that they lack the skills to complete your project successfully. Style. Is the style of their work similar to what you’re looking for? If this is the case, you may wish to look for another candidate
- Project types. A custom plugin may be necessary, but, if the developer exclusively creates websites, or vice versa, they may not have the necessary competence.
3. References, ratings and jobs completed
When dealing with a new team member, the greatest risk is not knowing whether or not they will actually complete the job to your specifications and on schedule. While some job sites, such as Codeable, will screen individuals for you, many others will allow you to complete this time-consuming and difficult work on your own. Consider looking for any references and the URLs of projects they have previously completed so that you may evaluate their work for yourself and, if necessary, speak with the individual who commissioned the job.
- It is possible to work with an unproven wildcard if you do not have references or proof of completed work; nonetheless, this is a dangerous proposition.
- These pieces of information give a more comprehensive picture of how a specific freelancer has conducted themselves on prior assignments, as well as whether or not previous clients were happy with their work.
- The greater the number of projects on which they have worked, the more experience they have, and the more probable it is that they will be able to execute your project on time and on budget.
- Possibly, they are new to the platform, in which case you should ask them for further references before proceeding.
Choosing your developer
After thoroughly assessing your top three candidates and requesting extra information from them, they have returned to you with the information you want, and you have finally discovered your ideal candidate. But before you can move further, there are a few more critical factors that must be addressed first.
1. Fixed fee or hourly rate?
Hourly rates are the most efficient and straightforward method of compensating developers since development labor is extremely difficult to estimate using time scales. This will prevent a situation in which the developer grows disengaged if the project goes on or new tasks are requested that are outside of the scope of the project. You may see the developer’s timesheet at any moment by asking them to track all of their hours in a shared timesheet (a program like Google Sheets would suffice).
If you decide to go with a fixed charge, advise paying half up front and the other half at the completion of the job. This provides comfort to all parties. MailPoet makes bank payments using Transferwise, and when a developer requests PayPal, we use that service.
2. Propose milestones
The use of milestones may assist you in breaking down a huge project into smaller portions, which is beneficial for both you and the development team. This allows the developer to offer clear insight into their work, which can be followed over a period of several days rather than several weeks. If the project is only a few weeks long, you can schedule your payments to coincide with the project’s milestones. The best developers should suggest their own calendar of milestones since they are in a better position to predict the quantity of work required and how long it will take them to finish it.
3. Maintenance promise
Ask your developer whether there will be any maintenance or a last round of corrections before the product is launched. A reputable developer will give post-launch assistance for an initial launch-window period, followed by continuing maintenance for a fixed charge per month following the launch. You should avoid hiring a WordPress developer who does not discuss maintenance or—even worse—who does not wish to give maintenance for you. Whenever possible, developers should give a warranty for their work and make themselves accessible to step in if something goes wrong.
4. Quick and clear communication
From Monday to Friday, when you begin working with a new developer, you should expect prompt email answers within 24 hours of sending the email. If you’re working on a tight deadline, ask the developer for their Skype contact information. In fact, meeting with your developer on Skype for a first kick-off call when they begin working on your project is an excellent idea. This manner, you can ensure that you and your partner are on the same page when it comes to the specifics of your project’s implementation.
Writing a contract
The next stage, once you’ve decided on your desired WordPress developer, is to draft and complete a contract, which is critical for both your protection and the protection of the contract developer. A good contract should have at a bare minimum the following provisions:
- Details about the client
- Information about the developer
- And the scope of the project (If applicable) the specifics of the milestones and what they involve
- The project’s pricing structure
- If the developer is paid hourly, the maximum number of hours he or she is entitled to work is
- Suppose additional features are required that fall outside of the project’s scope. What happens then? The sort of post-launch assistance that will be provided
- What will be done in the event of a dispute
- Who owns the intellectual property and at what moment is the intellectual property transferred
- Passwords that are shared (you must have access to them at all times)
Services such as Rocket Lawyer (US), LawDepot (UK), and LegalVision (Australia) offer online legal assistance and template contracts if you don’t have access to a lawyer to assist you in drafting a watertight contract.
Once the project has started
To be apprehensive the first time you collaborate with someone new is completely natural and understandable. Here are some things to keep an eye out for:
- Incorporate projected delivery dates for all milestones, activities, and revisions to the initial scope into your project planning process. You want to make certain that definite deadlines are established so that your project is done on time and does not drag on.
- If you notice that speedy email responses during the first exchange begin to dribble in slowly once the project has begun, speak with the developer and request more frequent communication. To guarantee that the project is on track and that the communication is clear, schedule a Skype call. Make certain that any tasks or revisions are within the scope of the project. Developers will want to please you at first, and they will take on more work without informing you that they are treating it as an obligation to you. If this happens, it might result in tense talks towards the end of the project. Estimating the amount of effort necessary to complete a project’s development is notoriously difficult to do. It is usual for a feature to suddenly take twice as long as it did initially, and this is acceptable. In the event that you are confused as to why anything is taking so long, simply inquire
- If the developer begins to inquire about components of the project that were fully stated at the onset, it might be a hint that they do not grasp what you want and that a reevaluation is necessary
- Unless a milestone payment is required, if you have paid the deposit and no milestone payment is due, you should not part with any further funds until the relevant work has been finished.
Hiring a WordPress developer might feel like traversing a minefield the first time you do it, but with each new developer you work with, you’ll notice that the process becomes less difficult to navigate. There is a lot to think about, from the scope of the project to job boards to contracts and payments. Make a note of this tutorial so that you may refer back to it when you need to recruit a developer.
Wishing you the best of success with your endeavor! Have you worked with WordPress developers in the past? Perhaps you’ve discovered the ideal location for hiring developers? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
10 Steps to Hire a WordPress Developer the Right Way
WordPress is used to build 35.2 percent of the more than 1.7 billion websites that are now published on the internet, according to statistics. Despite the introduction of more powerful and user-friendly content management systems (CMS), WordPress continues to be the most extensively used CMS by businesses to manage their websites and content. This is due to the fact that developing and maintaining a WordPress website is simple. All you need is a dependable web hosting service provider, a WordPress theme, a number of plugins, and your content to start building your website.
Your website is now complete.
More importantly, should you even consider hiring a web designer to create your website?
I’ll also go through the procedures to take in order to get the finest WordPress developer for your specific requirements and budget.
What is a WordPress developer?
When you first look at the question, it appears to be an easy one with an equally clear response. However, I was utterly taken aback by how widely disparate the responses were when this apparently basic topic was posed. Here are a few examples of responses I stumbled across: SourceSourceSourceSource There were a handful of things in common throughout all of these definitions, which I found interesting. As a result, I came up with the following definition: The definition of a WordPress developer is “a specialist that can assist you in conceptualizing and developing a customized WordPress website depending on the objectives and goals of your organization.”
Reasons to Hire a WordPress Developer
Even the most comprehensive WordPress theme that money can buy will only allow you to make minor adjustments to its look. If you try to make any additional changes, you run the risk of destroying the entire theme. Many of the basic code languages used to construct most WordPress themes and plugins are well-understood by a WordPress developer who specializes in WordPress development. He or she can make extra adjustments to the theme you’ve already purchased to ensure that it functions precisely as you want it to.
But what if you haven’t yet invested in a WordPress theme of your own?
Your WordPress developer can design and build a website from the ground up depending on your concept for how it should look and function.
2. Optimize your website for search engines.
When it comes to optimizing websites for search engines, the majority of business owners tend to concentrate on on-page SEO tactics such as incorporating targeted keywords inside their web page text and tags. Another approach would be to incorporate off-site SEO strategies such as guest blogging into the mix. However, what many company owners are unaware of is that there is a third sort of SEO: local SEO. Technical SEO, as the name suggests, is the process of optimizing your website’s site architecture and structured data.
Having a WordPress developer on your team will assist you in ensuring that the back-end of your website is properly optimized for search engines. Each time you upload new content to your website, he or she will be able to make the appropriate alterations as soon as possible.
3. Improve your website’s user experience.
The fact that a WordPress developer can assist you in creating a website from the ground up means that you can have a website design that makes it simpler for your visitors to find what they’re looking for. Additionally, he or she can identify and eliminate bottlenecks that are causing friction in your marketing funnel. The failure to solve this issue may result in your website’s potential to convert visitors into leads and customers being diminished.
4. Keep the data you collect private and secure.
The internet is teeming with unscrupulous people that are seeking for weak websites to hack into and steal the information of its consumers. According to a research conducted by Varonis, a cyberattack occurs once every 39 seconds on average worldwide. Even more concerning is the fact that 67 percent of these hacks are directed at websites belonging to small- and medium-sized enterprises. And the consequences of a cyberattack may be devastating, particularly if you’re running a small firm or a startup.
A WordPress developer safeguards your website and keeps it from being a victim of cybercrime.
5. Help you understand your website analytics.
Your WordPress developer will be able to identify and analyze key website data analytics. They can also assist you in comprehending what the data is attempting to tell you. You may then utilize this information to help you design the marketing methods that you will be employing. As a consequence, you will be able to boost your conversion rates even higher and create much more income.
The challenge of hiring a WordPress developer
With all of these advantages, you have to wonder: Why aren’t all firms employing the services of a WordPress developer? That’s a good question. There are two factors contributing to this. The first is that finding the best WordPress developers is not inexpensive, especially when it comes to the truly exceptional ones. According to a recent poll performed by Glassdoor, the finest WordPress developer commands a charge of $76,526 per year for his or her services. First and foremost, not everyone who claims to be a WordPress developer will be able to meet your expectations for both quality and speed of service.
Where to find the best WordPress developers to hire
The first stop for businesses wanting to employ a WordPress developer should be this website, especially if you want to hire someone who is local to you. It is necessary to include your specialization or sector in your keyword phrase in order to discover the most qualified WordPress developer. You may search for “Financial Services WordPress developer San Diego” if you’re trying to find a WordPress developer in San Diego that specializes in developing websites for firms that provide financial services.
Another fantastic area to hunt for professional WordPress developers is on the social media platform LinkedIn. Searching on LinkedIn is pretty similar to searching on Google in terms of results. On LinkedIn, you may not only read testimonials from prior clients, but you can also inquire directly from current clients about their experience working with the WordPress developer you’re considering hiring.
As a result, you will be able to make an informed selection about which WordPress developer to hire.
Freelance marketplace sites
As a result of the numerous horror stories written and films uploaded online, many business owners are reluctant to use freelancing marketplace sites while seeking for skilled WordPress developers. In actuality, you may discover numerous WordPress developers on these sites that have the abilities and knowledge to construct a website for your company that is tailored to your specific needs and objectives. RipplePopis a fantastic illustration of this. For starters, you’ll be given a professional WordPress developer who has the abilities and expertise necessary to complete your project depending on the information you supply.
And, if you’re still dissatisfied with the outcomes, you may ask RipplePop to provide a refund for your money.
How to find and hire the best WordPress developer for your business
Preparation is key before beginning your search for a WordPress developer to employ. Take the time to think about and clarify why you want to construct a website in the first place before moving further. A pre-built WordPress theme will meet all of your demands if your purpose for creating a website is to promote your brand and act as a resource hub for your target audience, which is the case for most businesses. For those who wish to sell their items through their website, however, employing a WordPress developer will be the most cost-effective solution.
2. Don’t discount WordPress developers who charge low rates for their services.
As a WordPress developer, you’ve probably seen a number of articles warning you against choosing someone who charges a cheap hourly cost for their services. The reason for this is straightforward: excellence comes at a cost. For this reason, if you want to employ the greatest WordPress developer, you should expect to pay a little bit more than you were expecting in the beginning. I disagree since there are a variety of elements that influence the hourly pricing of a WordPress developer. One of these considerations is the level of life in the area where they are based.
When I did my first test, I looked into how much I’d have to pay for an experienced WordPress developer situated in Las Vegas with a Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of experience.
Here’s what I came up with as a result: Second, I look into how much I’ll have to pay for a WordPress developer based in New York City who doesn’t have a college degree and has only a year of experience in the field.
What caused this to occur? The explanation is straightforward: the cost of living in New York is greater than the cost of living in Las Vegas. Consequently, don’t assume that higher fees equate to higher website quality.
3. Have a project brief ready.
Most of the finest WordPress developers would want you to have a project brief prepared before your first meeting with them. When it comes to your website, a project brief is basically a document that explains everything you want the WordPress developer to execute on your behalf. Details such as the following are included in a well-written project:
The scope of your project.
A background on what you’d like the WordPress developer to perform will assist them in determining whether or not they can achieve this within the period that you’ve specified. As well, they can properly audit your website and advise you on whether or not the plan you have in mind is realistic based on the assets you now have available on the internet.
Your buyer’s journey.
When the WordPress developer conceptualizes your website’s site map and structure, he or she will be better able to convert your visitors into leads and ultimately customers.
Current design assets.
This is especially important if you already have a website and are searching for a WordPress developer to upgrade it in order to improve the user experience for your visitors to your site. Not only would this assist to guarantee that your entire brand identity stays constant once your selected WordPress developer has completed changing it, but it would also help to save you time in the long run.
Your brand messaging.
“People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it,” says Simon Sinek, who is one of my favorite motivational speakers. In your brand’s messaging, you explain the “why” for your company’s existence. Developing a trustworthy connection with them will be aided by your efforts in this area. As a result, it’s critical that your WordPress developer fully comprehends the situation.
“People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it,” says Simon Sinek, in one of my favorite statements. The “why” behind your company is explained in your brand’s messaging. Developing a trustworthy relationship with them will be aided by your efforts in this regard. Consequently, you must ensure that your WordPress developer knows this well.
4. Consider a flat rate instead of an hourly rate.
It’s likely that, if you’re running a startup or small firm, you’re working with a very limited budget and little leeway. Making the decision to work with a WordPress developer who will agree to create your website at a flat charge keeps you from receiving an invoice that is too expensive for you to pay. There are several sites where you can hire the top WordPress developers for a set monthly charge. RipplePop is one such platform.
5. Check out the websites of the WordPress developers you’re considering.
“The proof is in the pudding,” as they say in the United Kingdom. In this scenario, the website is the alternative. The greatest WordPress developers are aware that their websites are the most effective means of demonstrating their competence. Make use of your project brief as a reference as you explore the company’s website. This is due to the fact that the work you see on their website is most likely to be of the same high quality as the work you receive from them.
6. Take time to review their online portfolio or case studies.
WordPress developers with a lot of experience would have an online portfolio where they could show off the work they’ve done. Another option would be to incorporate case studies describing the outcomes their clients achieved as a consequence of their efforts. If the developer you’re considering doesn’t have any of these qualifications, it’s conceivable that he or she is still in the early stages of their career and may not have the necessary experience to match your requirements.
Keep track of the case studies or portfolio examples that most closely approximate what and how you picture your website to be as you go through each of them. Go to these websites and ask yourself the following questions while you’re there:
- Is the general design of the website consistent with what is displayed in the developer’s portfolio? How simple is it for you to browse through the site
- What are the aspects of the site that you find appealing
- What would you like to see done differently in the future
Getting in touch with the website owner and asking them a few questions about their working relationship with their WordPress developer is also something I recommend. By speaking with their former clients, you’ll be able to get a sense of what your working relationship will be like in the future.
7. Look at testimonials.
As an entrepreneur, you are aware of the fact that not all of your delighted and pleased customers would consent to being used as a case study subject. They will, on the other hand, be more than pleased to provide you with a suggestion or testimonial. Take the time to go through the testimonials and evaluations that previous clients have given the WordPress developer for the work that they have done if you haven’t discovered a case study or sample work that is similar to what you’re searching for.
8. Schedule them for an interview.
By this point, you’ve compiled a shortlist of possible WordPress developers to interview and employ. The next step is to book an appointment with them for a job interview. I propose that you do your interview through video call. In the first place, it provides you with the opportunity to evaluate not only what the WordPress developer says, but also how he or she says it. This is critical since non-verbal communication accounts for 93% of all human communication and cannot be controlled or falsified.
As you do your interviews, pay great attention to the nonverbal communication cues that are being used.
If their non-verbal signs contradict what they’re saying, it’s conceivable that they’re not being completely honest with you about anything.
This will assist you in providing a better understanding to the WordPress developer of what you want and anticipate from your website once it is ready.
9. Take them out for a test drive.
Hiring a WordPress developer is quite similar to purchasing a car in that both need you to make a significant financial commitment. In addition, the greatest approach to determine whether or not you’ve chosen the correct one is to take them for a test drive first. Having the WordPress developers you’ve picked work on a small project for your website helps you to correctly assess the quality of their work as well as their understanding of your requirements and directions. This also gives you the opportunity to assess the overall working relationship you will have with them.
Furthermore, because skilled WordPress developers would be prepared to undertake a test project at a far cheaper fee than what they normally charge, you would not lose much money if you are dissatisfied with the outcome.
10. Get everything on paper.
When you’ve determined who the greatest WordPress developer to employ is, the next step would be to ensure that everything is documented. Typically, the contract or agreement is written by the WordPress developer you’ve selected to work with you. As a result, double-check that everything contained here is precisely what you and your team agreed upon, from the scope of the project to the payment conditions. Also, make sure to read the terms and conditions when it comes to dealing with the intellectual property of your company.
He or she may be working with a company that is similar to yours but in a different field, or even with a competitor of yours.
These are typically the kind of jobs that may be found on freelancing markets.
This guarantees that the WordPress developer you’ve hired is aware of the expectations you’ve established during the interview process and can meet those expectations.
Preparation and careful research are crucial to hire the best WordPress developer.
WordPress is still the most extensively utilized platform for businesses to develop their websites, according to Statista. As a result, it’s simple to locate and engage a WordPress developer who will be delighted to design and construct the website for your company. However, if you want to employ the greatest WordPress developer available, you must be willing to put in the necessary time and effort to locate them. Hopefully, the procedures I outlined in this blog article may assist you in your endeavor.
You’ll have to put in a significant amount of time and effort if you want to employ the greatest WordPress developer you can possibly discover.
What is the one thing that you will begin doing immediately in order to locate a WordPress developer to build your website?
Where and How to Hire a WordPress Developer
Finding a competent and experienced WordPress developer may be a time-consuming, arduous, and intimidating endeavor in and of itself. Many hundreds of sites exist on the internet, each with millions of users, and they are all competing for projects and undercutting one another on pricing. The trouble is that many of these gladiators aren’t even close to being ready for battle in the arena. Natural selection (ratings and reviews) is used by many sites to weed out the poorest members over time, rather of spending the effort necessary to screen their suppliers.
It may also be rather expensive, as some companies have to test a number of different developers before settling on one with whom they feel comfortable working.
In this piece, we’ll take a look at eight excellent resources before offering some advice on how to locate and recruit the most qualified WordPress developers.
Trusted Sources to Find and Hire WordPress Developers
We at Kinsta are dedicated to provide high-performancemanaged WordPress hosting services around the clock. Furthermore, despite the fact that we have a team of highly qualified engineers, we do not provide bespoke development services. The resources on the following list are reliable resources that we have personally assembled to assist you save time, money, and irritation by avoiding dealing with sub-par WordPress development companies. In fact, we recommend these resources to our clients as well.
- Websites such as Codeable.io, WordPress Job Boards, Smashing Job Boards, Toptal, Stack Overflow Careers, WPhired, ClickWP, and Mode Effect are examples of such sites.
It might be difficult to locate a skilled WordPress Developer. Here are the nine resources we rely on for information. To send a tweet, simply click here.
Codeable is a WordPress outsourcing company that is only committed to linking talented developers with businesses in need of their services. It also provides a variety of choices for dealing with the financial aspects of projects. In our discussion with Per Esbensen, CEO of Codeable, we learned about their commitment to establishing a community of WordPress developers, which was encouraging to hear. Developers that apply to Codeable are pre-screened, with Codeable staff members personally scrutinizing their portfolios and CVs before being accepted into the service.
Only 2% of those who apply are granted admissions.
They are only interested in the finest of the best, which may save you a great deal of time and hassle as a consumer by eliminating the need to go elsewhere.
If you opt to employ Codeable, you will receive a $60 credit against your first Codeable project, as well as a free 1-hour consultation.
2. WordPress Jobs
WordPress Jobs is the official directory of WordPress career opportunities (thoughsomewhat confusinglyhosted at the WordPress.net domain). They check each and every post before allowing it, and listings are only available for viewing for 21 days. Only WordPress-related positions are listed on the employment board. Various sorts of jobs are available, including development, design and performance; plugin development; theme customisation; migrations; and more. Positions at WordPress.com Whilst the occasional low-effort job ad does make its way onto the WordPress job board, you’ll find that the majority of postings are for serious projects or full-time roles, both of which naturally attract a better level of applicant.
3. Smashing Jobs
Smashing Magazine, which is widely regarded as one of the most popular and high-quality web development journals on the internet, also publishesSmashing Jobs. Listings on this site are compensated – $225 for full-time work and $75 for freelance assignments – which helps to maintain a high level of overall quality. The positions are active for 60 days, and if you work for a charitable organization, you will receive a discount. You may be confident that a huge number of people will view the job board because their main website has over 4 million monthly visitors.
Stunning Positions The company has a reputation for being employed by a number of well-known firms, including Amazon, Electronic Arts, Tesla Motors, MIT, and Activision, among others, and has a proven track record of drawing top development talent to its clients’ companies.
When it comes to hiring freelancers, Toptal offers itself as the place to go if you want to employ from “the top 3 percent of freelance talent.” Its rigorous developer pre-screening process is intended to substantiate this claim. They are comparable to Codeable in that they cover all development areas, not only WordPress, but they also cover other development areas as well. Recruiting someone will cost you $500, which will be credited to your first fee after you have found a qualified WordPress developer to work with you.
After that, they are presented with a new task while a senior developer examines their previous work.
Toptal has partnered with a number of well-known companies, including Airbnb, HP, J.P.
5. Stack Overflow Careers
Stack Overflow is a blessing for developers all around the world, and it is the first port of call for many technical issues that arise on a regular basis. Because of this, it’s only logical that they would provide a solution for connecting businesses with engineers in the form of Stack Overflow Careers. When seeking for a developer, this isn’t the place to go for a low-cost option. This is for businesses and organizations who are serious about discovering the best personnel. Access to their candidate search board is available for a fee of $2,499 per year (annual payment).
A monthly total of more than 50 million unique people visit the main Stack Overflow site, and job postings are shown across the site (even on the sidebar).
WPhired.com was founded by Jerome Degl’innocenti, a self-proclaimed WordPress enthusiast. It was one of the first WordPress job boards to be established, having begun in 2010. Their mission is to link small and medium-sized businesses with professional WordPress designers and developers. Absolutely nothing else is used, except for WordPress! WPhired You may rapidly publish a WordPress job that will be seen by more than 1,000 WordPress specialists in your area. Moreover, guess what? Posting a job is absolutely free of charge.
A WordPress enthusiast, Jerome Degl’innocenti, founded the website WPhired.com in 2010. Founded in 2010, it was one of the very first WordPress job boards to go live. Their mission is to link small and medium-sized businesses with competent WordPress developers and designers. Absolutely nothing else is used, except WordPress. WPhired WordPress jobs may be posted in minutes and are seen by 1,000+ WordPress specialists.
Surprise! You’re right. The posting of a job is entirely free of charge. No matter if you need a new WordPress design, assistance with a migration, or plugin development, it is simple to get the expertise you want.
8. Mode Effect
Mode Effect, founded in 2010 by Cody and Raquel Landefeld, is a web development company that specializes in developing solutions for e-commerce retailers and corporate businesses. They are experts in WooCommerce and extension development, and can assist you in increasing sales and expanding the functionality of your website. They also provide website redesign services from start to finish, as well as custom theme creation. You may rely on these professionals if you need anything created for your shop that doesn’t already exist or an integration established.
They even collaborated with Automattic to establish the official WordPress.com affiliate program website, which can be found atrefer.wordpress.com.
Want to know how we increased our traffic over 1000%?
Join over 20,000 other people who receive our monthly email, which contains insider WordPress advice! Now is the time to subscribe.
What About Upwork, Freelancer.com, and Fiverr?
Other sites, such as Upwork (previously Elance and oDesk), Freelancer.com, and Fiverr, are almost certainly already familiar to you. The fact that there are so many brilliant WordPress developers on these sites does not diminish the fact that you will be held responsible for conducting thorough due diligence in order to acquire a suitable outcome. If this is your first time attempting to discover a developer, you may find these platforms to be difficult to use and time-consuming to get the most from.
WordPress Maintenance Companies
In recent years, a great number of WordPress consultants and maintenance organizations have popped up to provide assistance to WordPress website owners. The company provides WordPress support, WordPress maintenance, and site development services to customers. One or more of them provide monthly services that include one-time repairs for all of your WordPress requirements. Here is a list of some of the most popular service providers, some of whom we have directly worked with and can recommend without reservation.
SkyrocketWPprovides WordPress maintenance, support, and a hosting solution that is specifically designed to handle WordPress for those who would rather spend their time expanding their enterprises. We even collaborated on a case study with them, so be sure to check it out! SkyrocketWP
To help busy company owners stay on top of their websites, WP-Tonic provides a genuinely boutique concierge support and maintenance service. Have you run out of time to address your WordPress issues? Allow WP-Tonic to handle the situation for you. They also have a popular podcast in which they interview WordPress business owners and developers in order to get the inside scoop on what is going on in the industry as a whole. The following article is recommended reading: how to start a podcast using WordPress.
WP Buffsoffers WordPress maintenance plans for professional website owners and white-label agency partners that want to get the most out of their websites.
In the words of the company’s website, “Say hello to your new WP CTO!” Btw. It is with great pride that Kinsta hosts WP Buffs:). WP Buffs are a type of buff. Here are a couple of more ones that you might want to look into.
As a result of this, we’ll move on to some recommendations for evaluating potential candidates. These are beneficial for any of the sites we’ve listed, but they’re especially handy if you’re recruiting from less specialized talent pools like Upwork or Fiverr, which are both popular options.
How to Hire a Top Quality WordPress Developer (5 Steps)
You must understand that it is your obligation to set the tone from the beginning and properly investigate the prospects you are considering when you are looking for that perfect WordPress developer. It is possible to waste significant time going back and forth, and to wind up with a substandard product or project if you do not take these precautions. Making a thorough examination of the five areas listed below will go a long way toward distinguishing between wheat and chaff right from the start.
1. Check Ratings and Reviews and Insist on Seeing Previous Work
The apparent first item to examine when evaluating candidates is their prior work on a platform, but you shouldn’t stop there; you should also be looking at their portfolio work, the amount of projects they have completed, and the code they have posted online as examples of their previous work. Check out the reviews of WordPress developers. With an impressive portfolio, the developer can demonstrate that he or she is capable of delivering high-quality products and that he or she has done so in the past.
You may even go a step further and ask them to complete a code exam as part of the process.
Candidates might be required to take an excellent PHP and WordPress test on TestDome, which you can find on their website.
2. Don’t Fall for Lowball Pricing
A skilled developer should be able to generate revenue for you rather than incur expenses. Never be fooled by the promise of low-cost outsourced development since, more often than not, you get what you pay for when it comes to these services. When you wind up having to trash a whole project and start over from the beginning, that enticing lowball offer won’t seem quite so appealing any more. Be cautious while considering low-cost development opportunities. However, low rates are not always indicative of poor quality, as we have seen recently.
3. Demand Effective Communication
Nobody can be accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but a dedicated developer will make every effort to respond to your issues in a timely way and will make certain that you are aware of when and how he may be contacted during business hours. The way in which information is communicated is equally important. Early signals of shakiness or a lack of lucidity in this situation are typical warning signs of difficulty down the road. Insist on clear communication from the start, and be prepared to walk away if it is not provided.
A competent developer will not only be able to code well, but he or she should also be able to communicate effectively with others who are not technically inclined.
A skilled WordPress developer should be able to communicate effectively with people who are not technically inclined. To send a tweet, simply click here.
4. Perform a Paid Test Project
A modest, paid test project will generally tell you everything you need to know about a developer’s approach to the work, in addition to a free code test. Consider this to be a loss-leader strategy. If things don’t work out, you’ve simply spared yourself from failing on a major project with the same developer in the first place. If everything goes according to plan, you will have a strong indicator that the rest of the project will be a piece of cake.
5. Agree on the Scope of the Job
The final piece of advice for hiring a WordPress developer is to make certain that all parties involved are aware of the scope of the task and/or project in question. A lot of the time, customers will employ developers in a hurry for a work that has not yet been completely specified. And as a result of the miscommunication, the project is frequently left incomplete, money and time are wasted, and relationships are often damaged.
Finding the appropriate developer for your project might seem like a difficult task, but by looking in the correct areas, you’ll be more than halfway there in no time. Each of the eight websites listed above is a wonderful resource if you are prepared to pay a premium for high-quality content. The five-point checklist we’ve created is a great method to ensure high-quality development regardless of where you source your developers from. Let’s quickly review the points made thus far:
- Finding the ideal developer for your project might seem like a difficult task, but by looking in the correct areas, you’ll be more than halfway there in no time at all. When it comes to quality information, each of the eight sites listed above is a fantastic resource. The five-point checklist we’ve created is a great method to ensure high-quality development, regardless of where you source your developers from. Now, let’s review the main points:
Let us know about your past experiences with hiring WordPress developers in the comments section below. Is there a better site that we didn’t list where you can locate and hire WordPress developers that we should mention? Do you have any advice or suggestions to share? Please get in contact with us through the comments section and let us know! Save time and money while improving the overall speed of your site by implementing:
- Instant assistance from WordPress hosting professionals, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Integration of Cloudflare Enterprise Edition
- With 29 data centers across the world, you can access a global audience. Application Performance Monitoring (APM) is embedded into our platform, allowing for optimization.
That and much more is included in a single plan that includes no long-term obligations, aided migrations, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, among other things. Check out our options or speak with a sales representative to select the plan that is suitable for you.