WordPress theme install
- Log in to your WordPress admin page, then go to Appearance and select Themes.
- To add a theme, click Add New.
- To unlock a theme’s options, hover over it; you can either choose Preview to see a demo of the theme or install it by clicking the Install button once you’re ready.
- 1 How do I import a theme into WordPress?
- 2 How do I upload a theme to WordPress 2020?
- 3 How do I import a theme?
- 4 How do I import a theme to WordPress demo?
- 5 How can I customize my WordPress theme?
- 6 How do I upload a WordPress theme without a business plan?
- 7 How do I install a zip theme in WordPress?
- 8 How do I import a slide template?
- 9 How do I add my own theme to Google Slides?
- 10 How do I import a cool theme into Google Slides?
- 11 Why doesn’t my WordPress theme look like the demo?
- 12 How do I add demo content in WordPress?
- 13 Upload a Theme to WordPress.com
- 14 Beginners Guide: How to Install a WordPress Theme
- 15 Using Themes
- 16 Default ThemesDefault Themes
- 17 Get New ThemesGet New Themes
- 18 Adding New ThemesAdding New Themes
- 19 Activating the ThemeActivating the Theme
- 20 Creating ThemesCreating Themes
- 21 How to Install WordPress Themes: Quick & Easy Tutorial
- 22 Using the WordPress themes directory
- 23 WordPress theme install
- 24 Download WordPress themes
- 25 How to install WordPress themes using FTP
- 26 Apply a template to individual pages
- 27 Safely changing WordPress themes
- 28 Keep themes updated
- 29 FAQs about installing WordPress themes
- 29.1 How to uninstall a WordPress theme?
- 29.2 Can I create a WordPress theme?
- 29.3 What is a child theme in WordPress?
- 29.4 Which theme is best for my WordPress site?
- 29.5 What is the fastest WordPress theme?
- 29.6 What WordPress theme is that? How can I use it?
- 29.7 Why doesn’t my theme look like the demo?
- 29.8 You may also like
- 30 How to Install a WordPress Theme (3 Easy Methods)
- 31 How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme
- 31.1 1. Decide Between a Free or Premium WordPress Theme
- 31.2 2. Know Your Niche
- 31.3 3. Use Credible Sources
- 31.4 4. Keep It Simple
- 31.5 5. Look for Responsive Design
- 31.6 6. Evaluate the Theme Support
- 31.7 7. Consider the Features
- 32 How to Install a Free WordPress Theme
- 33 How to Install a Premium WordPress Theme
- 34 How to Install a WordPress Theme Using FTP
- 35 Summary
How do I import a theme into WordPress?
To upload your theme, follow these steps:
- Download the theme’s. zip file.
- Go to Appearance → Themes in your site’s dashboard.
- Click the Install Theme button in the top right corner.
- Preview or activate the theme.
How do I upload a theme to WordPress 2020?
You can install a theme through the Appearance > Themes > Add New option directly from within WordPress. You can install a theme by uploading it as a zip file via the Upload Theme feature. You can install a theme Using an FTP client.
How do I import a theme?
Import a theme from another presentation
- In Slides, create a new presentation.
- Click Import theme.
- Choose a presentation from Google Drive or choose a presentation to upload from your computer.
- Click Select.
- Choose a theme and click Import theme to apply it to your current presentation.
How do I import a theme to WordPress demo?
How to Import the Demo Content
- Log into your site as an administrator.
- Make sure you activated your new theme before proceeding.
- Go to Tools → Import.
- Choose “WordPress” from the list.
- Upload the demo content.
- You will be asked to map the authors in this export file to users on the blog.
How can I customize my WordPress theme?
To start customizing your WordPress theme, go to Appearance > Themes. On this page, locate the active theme (Twenty Nineteen in our case) and click on Customize next to its title. On the page that opens, you can modify your WordPress theme in real time.
How do I upload a WordPress theme without a business plan?
First of all, it is impossible to upload a theme or install a plugin on WordPress.com without upgrading to the $299 per year WordPress.com business plan. The only way to install themes and plugins without a business plan is to migrate your existing website from WordPress.com to the self-hosted WordPress.org platform.
How do I install a zip theme in WordPress?
How to Install a WordPress Theme from a Zip File
- Backup your website (before any major change to your site)!
- In WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance | Themes.
- Click on “Add New”
- Click on “upload” [10/20/16: “Upload Theme”].
- Click on “Install Now”.
- Theme should install successfully.
How do I import a slide template?
How to Import a PPT Template/Slide into Google Slides:
- Step 1- Open Google Drive. Locate the Google Apps square on the top right corner (see the screenshot below) and open Google Drive:
- Step 2- Open Google Slides.
- Step 3- Import a PPT Template / Slide.
- Step 4- Upload the File.
How do I add my own theme to Google Slides?
Import new theme
- On your computer, open a presentation in Google Slides.
- At the top, click Slide Change theme.
- In the bottom right, click Import theme.
- Double-click the presentation you want to use.
- Click the theme you want.
- Click Import theme.
How do I import a cool theme into Google Slides?
Open your presentation in Google Slides. Click Themes, located in the toolbar. The Themes panel will open in the right side of the screen. You can also open this panel by clicking Slide → Change theme.
Why doesn’t my WordPress theme look like the demo?
Navigate to Appearance on the Dashboard panel and choose Customize. To set a default homepage for the demo, make sure your homepage is a static page and select to display it as the home page. After you are done, click Publish and you’ll see that it looks exactly like your theme’s demo. Enjoy the result!
How do I add demo content in WordPress?
Here’s how it works:
- Once your theme is installed and active, click Tools and Import.
- Next, locate the WordPress Importer to the right. If not already installed, click Install, and wait for it to finish.
- When you’re ready, click Run Importer. This will open up a page that allows you to upload a demo file.
Upload a Theme to WordPress.com
Apart from our own themes, you may also upload third-party themes to any WordPress.com site that has aBusiness or Ecommerceplan activated. Themes from WordPress.org, themes from famous marketplaces such as Themeforest, and even themes that you have created specifically for your website are examples of third-party themes. You will learn how to upload any theme to your WordPress.com website in this tutorial. The following is a table of contents:
These are the procedures to take in order to upload your theme:
- Download the theme’s.zip file and unzip it. Access Appearance Themes from the dashboard of your website. Select Install Theme from the drop-down menu in the upper right corner. The theme can be previewed or activated.
Continue reading this tutorial for additional information on the specific stages. ↑ Section I: Table of Contents
Download the Theme.zip File
The first step is to download the theme’s.zip file from the location where you purchased the theme. Do not attempt to unzip the file.
- When using themes from WordPress.org, clicking Download on any theme will save the.zip file to your computer
- When using themes from other sources, click Download on any theme will save the.zip file to your computer
- It is best to store your custom theme in a.zip file if you developed it yourself (or had a developer design it for you). When downloading themes purchased from Themeforest or Envato, you must select theInstallable WordPress file only option when downloading the theme:
If you’re using a Themeforest theme, select simply the Installable WordPress file option. Section I: Table of Contents
Upload the Theme File
As soon as you have downloaded the theme’s.zip file, you should follow the instructions below to upload it to your WordPress site:
- ClickInstall Theme: under the Appearance Themes section of your website’s dashboard.
- Drag and drop the theme’s.zip file into the box to install it. If you want, you may also click on the box, navigate to the theme’s.zip file on your computer, and double-click to include it.
Make a theme selection. ” data-image-caption=”” data-medium-file=” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” alt=”When you click Install Theme, you can either click the box to upload the file or drag it into the part that saysDrop files or click here to upload.”>Table of Contents
Preview or Activate the Theme
In order to begin using the theme immediately, clickActivate:upload theme activate” data-image-caption=”” data-medium-file=” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” alt=”upload theme activate” data-large-file=” loading=”lazy” src=” src=” alt=”upload theme activate”> To see a live preview of the theme before activating it, selectTryCustomizefrom the drop-down menu. You may make some changes to the theme’s settings here before putting the theme into action on your site. When you’re through making adjustments to the options and are ready to activate the theme, click SaveActivate.
Set Up Your Theme
After you’ve activated a theme on your website, you’ll want to customize it so that it looks precisely the way you want it to. Every theme is unique, however the following general guidelines can assist you in getting started:
- Consult the documentation that came with your theme to learn how to set it up. Almost every excellent theme will come with guidelines and documentation that will show you how to use the theme. Occasionally, a theme will necessitate the use of other plugins in conjunction with it. In the plugins section, look at the top of the page for a note telling you to install any suggested plugins for the theme
- If there is one, click on it. Look for demo material that you may use in conjunction with your theme. Visit Appearance Customize to see if there are any theme configuration options that may be customized.
If you are using a theme that was not created by WordPress.com, we are unable to provide you with any assistance. We propose that you get in touch with the theme’s customer service. They will be the most knowledgeable about the topic and will be able to provide professional assistance. ↑ Section I: Table of Contents
Where to Find Themes
No need to be concerned if you’ve previously browsed theWordPress.com theme showcase but haven’t yet chosen the right design for your website — there are hundreds of themes available for every form of website imaginable. First, have a look at our suggestions for selecting the ideal theme. Here is a list of some of the most popular locations for third-party themes:
- Templatemonster, thebestdesigns.com/themes, colorlib.com/free-wordpress-themes/, thebestdesigns.com/themes/, mojomarketplace.com/themes/wordpress, elegantthemes, themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/, rockettheme.com/wordpress/themes, themify.me, themeforest.net, themeisle.com/wordpress-themes/, themify.me
Create a Child Theme as a next step.
Beginners Guide: How to Install a WordPress Theme
Do you want to learn how to install a WordPress theme? There are tens of thousands of WordPress themes to choose from (both free and paid). As a newbie, you may want to experiment with a few different ones on your website until you discover the one that works best for you.
Throughout this beginner’s tutorial, we’ll provide extensive step-by-step directions on how to install a WordPress theme on your website. Three distinct methods of installing a WordPress theme will be covered, allowing you to select the one that works best for you.
Before You Install a WordPress Theme
Installing a WordPress theme is simple, but bear in mind that if you activate a new theme, the appearance and functionality of your website will be altered significantly. If you’re moving from an existing theme, you might want to have a look at our checklist of things you should do before changing WordPress themes before you get started. It is not necessary to do anything special if you are installing a WordPress theme on a new website. Bonus Tip: Take a look at our list of the greatest and most popular WordPress themes for inspiration.
Subscribe to WPBeginner’s newsletter. Please continue reading if you are dissatisfied with the video or want more detailed instructions.
Install a Theme using WordPress Admin Theme Search
You can find the quickest approach to install a free WordPress theme from theWordPress.org themes directory by making use of the built-in theme search feature. In order to begin, you must first access the administration area of your WordPress site. Once you’ve done so, navigate to theAppearance » Themes tab and click on the Add New button. On the following screen, you will have the option to choose from the following options: Featured WordPress themes, Popular WordPress themes, Latest WordPress themes, search for a specific theme, or search for themes that include specific features.
- You may, for example, arrange themes according to their topic matter, unique features, and layout.
- In our situation, we were looking for the popularAstra theme, which we found.
- The install button, preview button, and details button will all be revealed as a result of this.
- WordPress will now complete the installation of your theme and display a success message, as well as ‘Activate’ and ‘Live preview’ buttons.
- Depending on the theme, it may have extra configuration options that you will need to set up manually.
- Alternatively, you may follow the on-screen directions or just click on the customize button to begin configuring your theme settings.
Install a Theme by using the Upload Method from WordPress Admin
It is only possible to install free themes that are accessible in the WordPress.org theme directory using the first technique that we discussed. What if you want to install a premium WordPress theme from a company like StudioPress, Elegant Themes, Themify, or another such one? What if you wish to put a custom theme on your website? In this situation, you would need to upload the theme from your WordPress admin panel in order to complete the installation process. To begin, download the.zip file of the theme that you purchased from a marketplace or a professional theme shop and extract the contents of the file.
- This will lead you to the page where you may add a new theme, which will show you some of the most popular free themes.
- During the installation process, you will be asked to select the zip file that you downloaded previously.
- Once your theme has been successfully installed, you will be presented with a success message and a link to activate and preview the theme.
- Additional settings options may be added by the theme, which you may change either using the theme customizer or through a separate options panel, depending on the theme.
- In the event that you are using WordPress.com, you will not see this option because it restricts your options.
In this post, we explain the difference between Self HostedWordPress.org and WordPress.com (see also this article). For information on how to migrate from WordPress.com to WordPress.org, please see our guide on how to correctly migrate from WordPress.com to WordPress.org (in English).
Installing a WordPress Theme using FTP
You can only install free themes that are accessible in the WordPress.org theme directory if you use the first technique that we discussed above. How about installing a premium WordPress theme from firms such as StudioPress, Elegant Themes, Themify, and the like? What if you wish to install a theme that is unique to your website? You would then need to upload the theme from your WordPress admin panel in order to complete the installation process. Beginning with the.zip file of the theme that you acquired from a marketplace or a commercial theme shop, install the theme on your computer.
- This will lead you to the page where you may add a new theme, which will show you some of the most popular free themes currently available.
- Once the zip file that you downloaded earlier has been identified, you will be invited to choose it.
- Once your theme has been successfully installed, you will be presented with a success message and a link to activate and preview the theme in question.
- In some cases, depending on the theme, you may need to specify extra settings options, which you may do using the theme customizer or a separate options panel.
- When utilizing WordPress.com, you will not see this option since it restricts your ability to do so.
- (See this article for more information on the differences between Self HostedWordPress.org and WordPress.com.) Please read our instruction on how to correctly migrate from WordPress.com to WordPress.org if you wish to make the transfer to the latter platform (see below).
FAQs About Installing WordPress Themes
In the following section, you will find some of the most frequently asked issues regarding the installation of WordPress themes. 1. How many WordPress themes am I allowed to use? There may only be one theme active at a time. You may, on the other hand, install as many themes as you like. Not all of the themes that have been installed on your WordPress website are now active. When you activate a WordPress theme, it instantly deactivates the old active theme and replaces it with the newly activated theme as the default theme.
- What is the definition of a child theme in WordPress?
- Your website will require you to install and activate both the parent and child themes in order to function properly.
- Theme frameworks are WordPress themes that have been thoroughly optimized and are intended to be used as the parent theme.
- The Genesis theme framework, developed by StudioPress, is the greatest example of a WordPress theme framework.
- What is the difference between premium and free themes, and which one should I use?
- See our selection of the finest free WordPress themes for blogs as well as the top free WordPress themes for business websites below.
These themes come with priority support, which is particularly useful for novices who may not be familiar with WordPress.
There are a plethora of WordPress themes available, and the most of them are made by pros, making them appear really stunning.
We propose that you keep things basic.
Check that the theme appears OK on mobile devices and conduct a website speed test on the sample site to confirm this.
Is it possible to utilize the same WordPress theme that I have seen on another WordPress site?
See our tutorial on how to determine which WordPress theme is being used on a website.
Please also view our guides on how to generate money online from your new WordPress website and themust-have / greatest WordPress plugins if you haven’t done so before.
On social media, you can find us on Twitter and Facebook.
This means that if you click on one of our affiliate links, we may receive a fee.
See how WPBeginner is supported, why it is important, and how you can help us by donating. The Editorial Staff at WPBeginner is a group of WordPress specialists, lead by Syed Balkhi, who provides guidance and support. Over 1.3 million readers around the world put their trust in us.
Fundamentally, the WordPress Theme system is a method of customizing the appearance of your WordPress website. But it is more than simply a “skin” in this case. The term “skin” refers to the fact that just the design has been changed. WordPress Themes may provide you a great deal of control over the visual display of your content and other data on your WordPress site, as well as the behavior of particular site elements when engaging with visitors to your site. It is a collection of files that work together to provide a graphical user interface with an underlying unifying design for a website using the WordPress content management system.
- A Theme alters the way a website is displayed without altering the underlying software that powers the site.
- Template files are discussed in further detail under the section Template Files.
- The usage of WordPress Loopandtemplate files allows you to differentiate the appearance of your Cheese category posts from the appearance of your Gadgets category articles.
- Take a look at Template Hierarchy for further information on how to customize the appearance of various templates in your theme.
- You can interact with this diagram in order to have a better understanding of it.
Default ThemesDefault Themes
WordPress now comes with twelve different themes, including the basic theme. The Twenty Twenty Two theme (demo) as well as the previous defaults are included. Twenty Twenty One is the topic for this year (demo) Two hundred and twenty (demo), nineteen hundred and nineteen (demo), twenty seventeen (demo), twenty sixteen (demo), twenty fifteen (demo), twenty fourteen (demo), twenty thirteen (demo), twenty ten (demo), twenty ten (demo), twenty ten (demo), and twenty ten (demo) (demo). The Twenty Twenty Two theme is the first defaultblock theme in the history of WordPress.
IMPORTANT: All basic themes now have block patterns, which allow you to quickly and simply construct visually appealing layouts.
When you are in the Administration Screen, go to the Appearance option and select a different theme.
Additions to the theme directory will display in theAdministration ScreenAppearanceThemesas new options when they have been added. Themes Administration Screen – Themes that have been installed a b c d
Get New ThemesGet New Themes
TheWordPress Theme Directoryis the official site for WordPress Themes and is maintained by Automattic. Everything in this directory has been vetted and tested by a specialized staff against a wide number of regulations, all of which are aimed at providing the theme user with a safe and enjoyable experience on the site. With over 9,000 themes in the directory, you can simply select the correct one for your site using the comprehensive search option, which includes filters for layout, subject, and individual theme’s characteristics.
This includes themes like as findingBlock, which offer the complete range of site editing options.
If you want more information than a screenshot and a list of features to determine whether or not a theme meets your requirements, you may watch the demo for the theme using thePreviewfeature on the theme’s information page.
Adding New ThemesAdding New Themes
The majority of themes in the WordPress Theme Directory provide installation instructions, particularly for those that may need more steps than the standard theme installation process. Make care to go through and follow all of the instructions to ensure a successful installation of the Theme. – If your Theme does not function properly after you have followed all of the offered instructions, please contact the Theme author for assistance. a b c d
Adding Block themesAdding Block themes
A block theme is a theme that makes extensive use of blocks for all aspects of a website, including navigation menus, headers, content, and the site footer. Each of these themes has been designed to work with the latest WordPress capabilities, which allow you to alter and adjust any aspect of your site. For the time being, block themes may be added in the same way that any other theme would be. However, the Live Sample option has been deleted, which means that if you want to preview the theme, you will need to first set up a test site to explore it before activating the theme.
Before you can start customizing a block theme, you’ll need to first activate it.
a b c d
Adding New Themes using the Administration ScreensAdding New Themes using the Administration Screens
Using blocks for all aspects of a website, such as navigation menus, the header and content, and the footer, is what a block theme is all about! These themes have been designed to work with the latest WordPress capabilities, which allow you to alter and tweak any aspect of your site at your leisure. Block themes are now added in the same way that any other theme would be added. However, the Live Sample option has been deleted, which means that if you want to preview the theme, you will need to first set up a test site to explore it before activating it.
A block theme must first be enabled before you can begin customizing it. Please see this link for further information about my present experience. Above all, thank you for reading this article!
- Obtaining access to the WordPress Administration Screens
- Choose Appearance from the drop-down menu, followed by Themes. Add a new entry by selectingAdd New. Either use theSearchorFilter options to identify a Theme that you would want to utilize, or create a new Theme from scratch. Simply click on thePreviewlink to see a preview of the Theme, or on theInstalllink to have it uploaded to your site. Take note of the fact that
- If you have already downloaded a zipped copy of a Theme to your computer, you may upload it by clicking on the Upload Themebutton at the top of the page.
When you have already downloaded and installed the theme but have not yet activated it, the Live Previewoption will provide you with a sample of your site with your own, existing content. a b c d
Adding New Themes by using cPanelAdding New Themes by using cPanel
If your web server has thecPanelcontrol panel, you may upload the Theme files to your site by using theUploadoption in thecPanelcontrol panel. This will need the use of Theme files in a compressed bundle (.zipor.gz).
- Download the Theme.zip file to your computer and then browse to the Themes folder in the IncPanel File Manager. Depending on your hosting provider, the location of the Themes folder may vary somewhat, but in general, you are searching for public htmlinside, which you can find at /wp-content/themes/
- Click onUploadwhen you’re within theThemes folder in the cPanel File Manager, and then browse to and upload the.zip file you saved in Step 1. Once the.zip file has been uploaded, right-click on the name of the file in cPanel and selectExtract from the context menu to begin the extraction process. If you were successful in extracting the Theme files, please follow the procedures below to activate your new Theme.
The File Manager in CPanel is located in the Themes Directory in the CPanel is located in the Extract Archive in the CPanel is located in the top of the page.
Adding New Themes Manually (FTP)Adding New Themes Manually (FTP)
To add a new Theme to your WordPress installation via the FTP protocol, you’ll need an FTP client as well as the theme files that were extracted before.
- Download the Theme archive (.zip) and unzip the contents it contains to a convenient location. A folder titled theme itself should be created, which will hold all of the theme files. Using an FTP program to connect to your web host’s server and browse to the /wp-content/themes/directory
- Alternatively, upload the Theme folder to this directory on your host server. To activate the new Theme, please follow the steps outlined below.
Activating the ThemeActivating the Theme
Now that the new Theme has been uploaded to the /wp-content/themes/directory (whether you did it using the Administration Screens, cPanel, or FTP method), it is ready to be activated. Whilst all of the themes included inside the wp-content/themes/directory are accessible for activation and updating (when an update is supplied by the theme creator), only one theme from this directory may be activated at a given time. When a theme is activated, it implies that the style and functionality (both in terms of appearance and behavior) of that theme will be applied to your site.
Notice of a Theme that has been activated To make a Theme active on your website, follow these steps:
- Obtaining access to the WordPress Administration Screens
- Choose Appearance from the drop-down menu, followed by Themes. You should be able to view all of the themes in your /wp-content/themes/directory, and you can get more information about each of them by clicking on Theme Details (which appears when you hover your mouse over the Theme thumbnail). The Live Preview option will provide you with a live preview of your site, complete with your site’s content. To make the theme active, click on theActivatebutton.
Obtaining access to the WordPress Administration Screens Choose Appearance from the drop-down menu, followed by Themes; Each theme in your wp-content/themes/directory should be shown here, and you can view information for each of them by clicking on Theme Details (which appears when you hover your mouse over the Theme image). You may watch a live preview of your site that includes the content of your website. For the Theme to be activated, click on theActivatebutton.
Creating ThemesCreating Themes
Review the material on Theme Development if you are interested in developing your own Theme for release or learning more about how Themes are built. If you merely want to alter your existing Theme for your own purposes, you may consider developing aChild Theme for that purpose. You are more than welcome to join theThemes Team and its dedicated themereviewSlack channel, regardless of your situation. In that channel, you may seek for assistance in producing themes for theWordPress Theme Directory or even begin evaluating themes for theWordPress Theme Directory yourself.
How to Install WordPress Themes: Quick & Easy Tutorial
Review the material on Theme Development if you are interested in producing your own Theme for release or learning more about how Themes are built. You should consider developing aChild Theme if you only want to alter your existing Theme for your own purposes.
You are more than welcome to join theThemes Team and its dedicated themereviewSlack channel, regardless of your position on the topic. You may seek for assistance in generating themes for the WordPress Theme Directory or even begin evaluating themes yourself in that channel.
Using the WordPress themes directory
If you haven’t chosen a theme yet, you may do so by visiting the WordPress theme directory. It contains official WordPress themes, which have been reviewed and examined in accordance with the WordPress theme standards. They are also available for no cost to download. In the WordPress theme directory, there are hundreds of themes to choose from; this is where the WordPress theme search tool comes in helpful. If you know the name or style of the theme you desire, you may search for it using the theme search box.
You have the option of selecting your desired layout type, the functionality you want, and the subject matter of your website.
You might wish to go through the themes listed under the sections Featured Themes, Most Popular Themes, and the Most Recent Additions to the directory for inspiration.
There is additional assistance available with subscription services, and they are completely compatible with the WordPress General Public License.
Where to find WordPress themes (free and paid)
The most difficult aspect of using themes is not installing them, but rather selecting the most appropriate one for your needs. There are tens of thousands of options, both paid and free, as well as a plethora of visually appealing designs. If you don’t already have a theme in mind, let’s have a look at some resources to help you pick one.
Choose a theme from the Official WordPress theme directory (free)
If you haven’t chosen a theme yet, you may do so by visiting the WordPress theme directory. It contains official WordPress themes that have been vetted and examined in accordance with the WordPress theme rules, among other things. They are also available for no cost to download. In the WordPress theme directory, there are hundreds of themes to choose from; this is where the WordPress theme search tool comes in helpful. If you know the name or style of the theme you desire, you may search for it using the theme search box.
You have the option of selecting your desired layout type, the functionality you want, and the subject matter of your website.
You might wish to go through the themes listed under the sections Featured Themes, Most Popular Themes, and Newest Additions to the directory for ideas.
There is additional help available through commercial services, and they are completely compatible with the WordPress General Public License.
Paid theme from a theme marketplace
When we discussed the possibility of using a premium or third-party theme, we said that It is popular to utilize premium themes since they provide advantages that are not available in free versions. Consider the following: enhanced support, more regular updates, and additional features. Premium WordPress themes may be found on marketplaces such as Themeforest, Css Igniter, and StudioPress, which cater to professional designers.
This section will explain how to obtain any theme that is not mentioned in the WordPress.org directory. This includes free themes as well as commercial themes.
WordPress theme install
Installing and activating themes is required before you can use them to enhance the appearance of your website. There are a variety of approaches that may be used to accomplish this. The quickest and most straightforward method is to do it directly from within WordPress administration.
The following are the fundamental steps for most themes:
- The following are the fundamental steps for the majority of topics:
We recommend that you carefully go through any installation instructions that may be included with your selected theme. Some topics will need a greater number of stages than others, in addition to the fundamental processes described here. Follow the instructions provided, and if you encounter any difficulties, you may contact the theme’s author for assistance.
Download WordPress themes
Theme purchases made from developers that do not operate within the WordPress themes directory must be uploaded before they can be used on your site. The following are basic procedures for uploading and installing a theme on your computer.
- Download the theme’s.zip file from the source site to your local computer and then unzip the file. Navigate to AppearanceThemes in your WordPress Administration section and click Add New
- The option to Upload Theme has been added to the Add New Theme screen. The theme upload box is now open
- Choose Choose File from the drop-down menu and then pick the theme zip file on your computer before clickingInstall Now. Once the theme has been downloaded from the zip file, it may be activated from your WordPress administration. The Appearance tab should be selected, and the Themes directory should be opened. Locate the theme and click the Activate link
How to install WordPress themes using FTP
Download the theme’s.zip file from the source site to your local computer and then unzip it there. Select AppearanceThemes from the WordPress Administration section and click on Add New. Upload Theme has been added to the Add New Theme screen. ClickChoose File, locate and pick the theme zip file on your computer, and then clickInstall Now. The theme upload form will now be shown. The theme may be activated using your admin panel once the zip file has been downloaded. The Appearance tab should be selected, and the Themes directory should be opened; locate the desired theme and click the Activate link;
- To begin, open Filezilla and log in with your credentials by clicking on the Quickconnect button. The Remote Site and a root directory (the root directory is the name of your site) are displayed in the following window. Choose /rootdirectory/web/content/wp-content/themes from the drop-down menu. To access more choices in the Local Site window, right-click the folder containing your stored theme and select “More Options.” and press the Upload button
- You’ve now completed the process of uploading your theme to WordPress. To complete the process, log into your control panel and navigate to AppearanceThemes, where you will hover your mouse over the new theme. Now press the Activate button. You’ve now completed the process of uploading your theme to WordPress. To complete the process, log into your control panel and navigate to AppearanceThemes, where you will hover your mouse over the new theme. Now press the Activate button. Now all that’s left is for you to experiment with your new theme and see how you like your new website design.
To begin, open Filezilla and log in with your credentials by clicking on the Quick Connect button. Remote Site and a root directory (the root directory is the name of your site) are displayed in the following window. Please choose /rootdirectory/web/content/wp-content/themes from the drop-down menu. Select the folder containing your saved theme in the Local Site box, and then right click to see more choices. after which you should click on Upload; The upload of your theme to WordPress has now been completed successfully.
Select Activate now.
The final step is to access your control panel, navigate to AppearanceThemes, and then click on the new theme you just installed.
To finish, just test out your new theme and assess how you like the look of your new website design.
Apply a template to individual pages
Now that your theme has been installed and activated, you can begin configuring it to meet the specific requirements of your website. The last step is to begin applying the theme’s templates to individual pages. This may be accomplished quickly and easily with the WordPress Page Editor by following the steps below:
- Open the WordPress Page Editor by clicking on the corresponding button. If your page has any appropriate templates, you’ll see a list of them in the Page Attributes box to the right of your text
- If your page does not have any applicable templates, you’ll see a blank box. Choose a template and then click Preview to see whether the template is a good fit for your page before storing it
- As soon as you’re satisfied with the page template, press Publish.
Safely changing WordPress themes
It is rather simple for new website owners to change their WordPress themes; all that is required is that you choose a theme and install it. If you already have a WordPress website, updating the overall design of your website is a significant step. We strongly advise you to make a backup of your site before proceeding.
Although switching themes might be frightening, you should not let this deter you from adopting a fresh design for your website. Following the creation of a backup, you should follow these instructions to prepare for changing themes.
Keep themes updated
One final point to remember about themes is to maintain them up to date. It takes very little time and effort to keep the fundamental WordPress themes up to date. It is beneficial to update themes since each version brings with it new features and advancements, such as improved security and SEO. By keeping your themes up to date, you run the risk of causing troubles for your website. During an upgrade, for example, customized pages may be impacted, and settings may be lost as a result. To combat this, we advocate the use of child themes.
To determine whether your theme is safe to update using child themes, follow the steps outlined in this tutorial.
FAQs about installing WordPress themes
In the event that you’re having problems installing a new theme, it’s likely that you’ve already installed the theme, or that you’ve installed the theme but haven’t activated it yet. Once your theme has been installed, all you have to do is click the Activate link to have it applied to your website.
How to uninstall a WordPress theme?
That’s a piece of cake. There is nothing more to it than going into themes, selecting the one you want to get rid of, and clicking delete in the box that opens. Following that, you’ll be prompted to confirm that you wish to remove the theme. WordPress will remove the selected theme if you confirm your selection by clicking the OK button. It is not possible to remove an active theme, therefore be sure you have first disabled it.
Can I create a WordPress theme?
What is a child theme in WordPress?
A WordPress theme that inherits functionality and aesthetic from another theme known as the parent theme is referred to as a child theme. Child themes are frequently used to make changes to an existing theme while keeping the code and design intact. It is the safest method of making changes to a WordPress theme without having to make changes to the parent theme’s source code.
Which theme is best for my WordPress site?
Identifying the purpose of your website and your requirements are the first steps in determining the best WordPress theme for your business website. It is dependent on a variety of things, including the aims of the site, your level of expertise, and your budget. More information on how to select the appropriate theme may be found here. The theme you pick will be determined by the sort of website you intend to create.
What is the fastest WordPress theme?
The speed at which your pages load is greatly influenced by the theme you choose. A slow-loading theme can cause your website to load slowly and will have an adverse effect on your page rank. You should always use a theme that is optimized for speed in order to avoid this from happening.
The quickest at the time of writing are GeneratePress, which loads in 1.1 seconds, and Astra, which routinely ranks first in the theme speed rankings with a load time of 0.9 seconds. There are many other options as well.
What WordPress theme is that? How can I use it?
Similarly, if you’ve stumbled on a website and are asking, “what WordPress theme is this?” you may find out and incorporate it into your site. With ScanWP, all you have to do is input the domain name of a WordPress website. It exposes the topic after a cursory scan of the page. Is it WPwebsite? will help you determine whether or not a website is powered by the WordPress content management system. Enter the domain name into the search function to learn about the CMS platform that was used to create the site.
Why doesn’t my theme look like the demo?
When you examine a theme’s demo, you will see pages that have been created by the developer. Installing the theme without the sample content will result in a less-than-impressive result when compared to the demonstration site. The demo is intended to demonstrate the full potential of the theme when it has been personalized with your own material and graphics, among other things.
You may also like
Prices begin at $1. Simplicity is the key to freedom! Using EasyWP to create and administer your website frees up your time so that you can focus on other aspects of your business. Obtain WordPress Web Hosting
How to Install a WordPress Theme (3 Easy Methods)
WordPress is the most extensively used Content Management System (CMS) in the world for the development of self-hosted websites. It’s likely that, if you haven’t already, you’ve made the decision to utilize WordPress for your own website. Do you, on the other hand, know how to install a WordPress theme? There are several ways to add WordPress themes to your website, and understanding how to do so is not difficult at all, no matter which technique you select —and there are plenty! That is, after your theme has been installed, you will be able to begin developing your unique website as soon as it is completed.
We’ll go through the following topics in detail: Let’s get this party started!
Prefer to watch thevideo version?
Getting the hang of how to install a WordPress theme on your website isn’t difficult to learn. What is difficult, however, is selecting the most appropriate theme for your requirements. Let’s take a brief look at where you can obtain WordPress themes before we get into the specifics of what you’ll need to do so effectively. At the moment, the WordPress Repository is one of the most popular locations to find trustworthy and free plugins and themes to enhance the appearance and functionality of your WordPress website.
In addition, there are thousands of free and paid WordPress themes available for download through markets such as the MOJO Marketplace, CSS Igniter, and StudioPress, which may be found here.
How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme
And so, how are you expected to choose which WordPress theme is the best fit for your needs? Here are some pointers to get you started:
1. Decide Between a Free or Premium WordPress Theme
The discussion over whether to choose a free or premium WordPress theme has been going on for quite some time. This makes deciding whether to save your money and use a free theme or whether to invest a small bit of money and get the benefits of a premium theme difficult.
If you come across a WordPress site that has a theme that you like, you can use ourtheme detector tool to figure out which theme is being used on that site. Although it ultimately comes down to your financial situation, there are a few factors to consider before making a final decision:
Pros of Using a Free WordPress Theme
There are several benefits to using a free WordPress theme, including the following:
- They’re completely free to use, which means that if you don’t like it and decide to change your WordPress theme, you won’t have spent any money on it. Having passed a rigorous evaluation procedure, the free WordPress themes available in the WordPress Repository have been formally authorized
- All of the free themes available at WordPress.org will be compatible with all of the free plugins available at the same location.
Having said that, there are certain downsides to using free themes. To give you an example, they often have a restricted feature set, are widely utilized (which makes creating an own website difficult), and there is little to no timely help when there are difficulties. Not to mention that free themes obtained from sources other than the WordPress Repository may be improperly written, exposing your site to vulnerabilities and malicious attacks.
Pros of Using a Premium WordPress Theme
However, there are some drawbacks to using free themes as well. To give you an example, they often have a restricted feature set, are widely utilized (which makes creating an own website difficult), and there is little to no prompt help if you encounter problems with them. Aside from this, free themes obtained from sources other than the WordPress Repository may be improperly coded, putting your website at risk of vulnerability and assault.
- You will receive assistance for it, which will assist you with things such as bugs, technical concerns, and customization (recommended reading: How to Customize Your WordPress Theme)
- And You’ll receive frequent upgrades, each of which will provide enhanced security and functionality. With a feature set that ranges from moderate to wild, you can create a website that looks and functions exactly as you want it to. If you purchase a premium theme from a reputable theme marketplace, firm, or developer, you can be certain that your theme is compatible with the most recent versions of WordPress, HTML, CSS, and PHP.
Premium themes, on the other hand, are not free. The payment for certain premium themes is made on an annual basis, while others are made in one lump sum. This implies that if you purchase one and subsequently decide to change your mind, you will be out the money you invested.
2. Know Your Niche
WordPress is designed to work with a variety of different types of websites, and you should expect WordPress themes to do the same. Knowing your specialty before deciding on a WordPress theme can assist you in finding WordPress themes that will have the look and functionality you want for your website. Suppose you’re creating a WordPress food blog and you’re on the lookout for a WordPress blogging theme that is specifically designed for food blogs. Better still, if you believe you would be interested in selling items and services to other food enthusiasts, you might want to look into various ecommerce themes that have the ability to launch both an online food company and a blog.
This will help you restrict your options and make the choosing process a bit simpler to go through.
3. Use Credible Sources
Anyone who is capable of creating a WordPress theme and making a profit from it will do so. But the fact is that just because someone has designed a WordPress theme does not imply that it is free of malicious code, viruses, or even spam link generators. If you’ve made the decision to choose a free WordPress theme, the WordPress Repository is the ideal location to start your search. If you require a premium theme or wish to make use of a free theme provided by a third-party theme business, look for the following characteristics:
- It will be developed by anyone who is capable of doing so and making a profit. It is important to note that just because someone has produced a WordPress theme does not imply that it is devoid of malicious code, malware, or even spammy links. You should look no farther than the WordPress Repository if you’ve opted to utilize a free WordPress theme. In order to determine if you require a premium theme or wish to utilize a free theme from a third-party theme vendor, look for the following characteristics:
Finally, it doesn’t matter what kind of WordPress theme you require in the end.
Really, the most important thing is to avoid utilizing nulled WordPress themes in order to avoid future problems with site security, downtime, and lost site traffic.
4. Keep It Simple
With the popularity of popular multipurpose WordPress themes such as Avada and X, it’s easy to get caught up in their allure. And while these themes may offer the functionality and design that some people want, the fact is that sometimes the simplest solution is the best one. This is particularly true for individuals who are just getting started. Multipurpose themes can sometimes have an excessive number of features, a steep learning curve, and a negative impact on the speed and efficiency of your website.
5. Look for Responsive Design
Responsive design, which should not be mistaken with mobile-friendly design, is essential for providing your mobile site users with an amazing user experience. Using a mobile-friendly WordPress theme ensures that your website will seem the same no matter what device your site visitor uses to view it. This ensures that the site visitor can simply view and browse around your site’s content as well as click the CTA buttons that you want them to click. The elements on your website will not change, regardless of the device or screen size used to view your site, so don’t worry about that!
Google’s mobile-friendliness assessment Having a WordPress theme with responsive design, on the other hand, implies that when your site visitors access your website using a mobile device, your website will automatically change to the screen size.
Use the free Responsive Checker tool to ensure that your website is mobile-friendly: Adaptive Checker is a program that checks for responsiveness.
Also available is the ability to navigate the site as if you were really accessing it from a mobile device, allowing you to ensure that your site appears and performs the way you intend it to for site visitors.
6. Evaluate the Theme Support
It’s possible that you’ll want assistance when utilizing your WordPress theme at some point. It is therefore critical to be able to communicate with the theme creator or their support staff. Before you choose a WordPress theme, find out what type of customer service is available to you. And keep in mind that the majority of free WordPress themes come with very little, if any, support.
7. Consider the Features
Finally, you should take into consideration the features that are included with your WordPress theme. Some of the most important characteristics to look for in any theme, whether it is free or paid, are as follows:
- Sharing on social media platforms
- Built-in search engine optimization
- Cross-browser compatibility is important. WordPress page builders that are included for simpler site construction
- Compatibility with popular WordPress plugins
- This product is multilingual and translation ready. Support for e-commerce
Of course, each individual’s website will require a unique set of features.
However, the considerations listed above will assist you in guiding you in the proper way and assisting you in making a decision. Allow us to look at how to install a WordPress theme into your website after you’ve found the one you like the appearance of.
How to Install a Free WordPress Theme
Using a theme from the WordPress Repository on your website is the simplest way to accomplish this. The most straightforward method is through the website’s backend.
Want to know how we increased our traffic over 1000%?
Join over 20,000 other people who receive our monthly email, which contains insider WordPress advice! Now is the time to subscribe. To begin, go into your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes in the WordPress dashboard, where you will click on Add New to create a new theme. Adding a new WordPress theme to your website You may then filter the results based on the criteria listed below: Results for the topic can be filtered Alternatively, you can use theFeature Filterbutton to narrow down the theme results to to those that have particular features.
further details regarding the theme may be found at If you want to see a demonstration of the theme in action, click Preview; if you want to install the theme on your WordPress site, click Install: A WordPress theme may be previewed or installed.
Then, to see how your site will appear with the theme, click on the Live Preview button first.
Once you’ve chosen your selection, click Activate to complete the process of adding it to your website.
How to Install a Premium WordPress Theme
To install a premium WordPress theme that you’ve purchased, you’ll need to use the upload option available from your WordPress dashboard. To begin, download the theme that you purchased from the theme marketplace or company that you got it from (if applicable). Save the zip file that was downloaded to your PC. After that, go onto your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes in the WordPress dashboard, where you will click Add a new item: Adding a new WordPress theme to your website To complete the upload process, clickUpload Themeto and choose the zip file containing your premium WordPress theme that you downloaded earlier from your computer: WordPress has a function that allows you to upload a theme.
- To choose a zip file from your computer, clickBrowset and select the file from your computer.
- Then, to include the theme into your website, clickInstall Now.
- WordPress will take care of installing your premium theme on your site.
- Finally, click Activate to make the theme ready to be used on your website, if necessary.
If you need to import a theme from ThemeForest, this method will work as well. Simply open the zip file that has been stored on your computer and follow the same instructions as described previously.
How to Install a WordPress Theme Using FTP
Last but not least, we’ll teach you how to transfer computer files using FTP (file transfer protocol), which is a common network protocol that is used to transmit computer files between clients and servers connected to a computer network. In other terms, an FTP server facilitates the transfer of data between your computer and the servers hosting your website. There are a variety of FTP clients available, but we’ll be using FileZilla, which can be downloaded and installed on your computer in minutes.
Take note, though, that this is a more complicated method of installing a WordPress theme on your website and is not suggested for novices.
Step 1: Secure FTP/SFTP Credentials
To get started, you’ll need to obtain your FTP or SFTP credentials, which you’ll enter into FileZilla so that it can connect to the servers hosting your website (learn the difference betweenFTP and SFTP). It is normally possible to get this information in your web hosting account. If you are having problems locating it, contact your host and ask them to assist you in your search. The following credentials are required if you are using Kinsta hosting: First, enter into yourMyKinsta accountand click onSitesin the dashboard, followed by Information to obtain the necessary credentials.
You’ll need your login, password, and port number, which are as follows:
Step 2: Enter Credentials into FileZilla
After you’ve located your FTP/SFTP credentials, use FileZilla to view them. The following is the information that you will be required to enter:
- To host, log in to your MyKinsta dashboard (or use your site’s IP address prefixed by “sftp:/” if you’re using another web hosting service). You may get your user name from your MyKinsta dashboard. The password is obtained through your MyKinsta dashboard. The port number is obtained from your MyKinsta dashboard.
At the top of the FileZilla screen, you will see something similar to the following: Using Secure FTP (SFTP) in FileZilla Click Quickconnect once you’ve finished entering your credentials. FileZilla will next establish a connection with the servers hosting your website.
Step 3: Upload WordPress Theme Files
After you’ve established a connection to your FTP server, you may proceed to installing a WordPress theme on your website. Please keep in mind that the left-hand side of FileZilla is where you will gain access to your computer’s files, and the right-hand side of FileZilla is where you will gain access to the files for your website that are kept on your host’s servers. To access the files on your site, navigate through the folders in the right-side panel until you locate the one labeledThemes: WordPress themes folder.
As soon as you do this, any WordPress themes that have previously been installed on your website will show beneath the file directory structure.
Once you’ve located it, right-click on it and selectUpload: Uploading WordPress theme through FTP from the context menu.
Last but not least, go into your WordPress website and navigate to AppearanceThemes (or similar).
Installing a new theme is always a critical step in the process! Learn three distinct approaches you may use with this step-by-step lesson to give your website a fresh new design in minutes. To send a tweet, simply click here.
In order to utilize WordPress as your Content Management System, you’ll need to know how to install a WordPress theme on your web server. And it’s likely that you’ll browse through a number of WordPress themes before finding one that you like and that includes all of the features you want. Fortunately for you, not only are there a variety of options for installing WordPress themes to select from, but all of them are also reasonably simple, even for rookie website owners:
- You may install a theme straight from within WordPress by selectingAppearanceThemesAdd New from the Appearance menu. You may install a theme by uploading it as a zip file through theUpload Themefeature
- However, this is not the most efficient method. Using an FTP client, you may install a theme on your website.
Do some study and you’ll be able to choose the ideal WordPress theme for your blog, online company, or ecommerce store. Then, install it on your WordPress site so that you can begin creating a website that is unique to your company and expresses your brand. Save time and money while improving the overall speed of your site by implementing:
- Instant assistance from WordPress hosting professionals, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Integration of Cloudflare Enterprise Edition
- With 29 data centers across the world, you can access a global audience. Application Performance Monitoring (APM) is embedded into our platform, allowing for optimization.
That and much more is included in a single plan that includes no long-term obligations, aided migrations, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, among other things. Check out our options or speak with a sales representative to select the plan that is suitable for you.